Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    I know on the Tigershark 1100, the Ficht Di has a different taper on the crank snout for the different magneto.

Ski porpusing isn't going to make it faster..

Ok so I took the air box off and removed the head. What I found was the no piston has huge hole in it(already knew that) but I found that all pistons were stamped 1.00 so they are bored out cylinders and oversized pistons. The carbs look original and I’m wondering if the pistons were upgraded but the carb was never rejetted could this have caused this? The piston that’s burnt is the one that’s farthest from the fuel pump so there may be an issue with fuel flow to the farthest carb. Also I found at least one oil hose to carb to be pinched, however it’s not on the cylinder that got fried. Odd. I will be taking the carbs out soon to fully rebuild, and checking and cleaning the oil pump to make sure it’s working properly. I think at this point I wanna get another cylinder stock bore and std size pistons and verify that the jetting hasn’t been messed with. Either that or swap in a full stock motor.

So I took a 3 hour ride from western ma down to northern New Jersey for some parts. I got a stock bore set of cylinders, a cylinder head, a set of cdkII carbs, an intake for cdkII (the non equalized one), reeds and cages, an upper section of the cases with the two pulse lines for the cdk2 carbs, a starter and a supposedly good used crank from an 1100. All that for 250 bucks. Cylinders are going to machine shop to get cleaned up so I know what size piston kit to order. I’ll have to inspect the crank real good. My only question about all the new stuff is I know the case I got is from a 900zxi. Will it work on an 1100 or no? If not I found another set of cases from an 1100. The guy I went to had rebuilt over the years a 900zxi, 1100zxi and ultra 150. He had loads and loads of parts. Time to take my motor out and tear it down. Basically I’m taking my motor and some donor parts to build a 96-97 style motor with cdk2 carbs and drop it back into my 03. Ditching the cv carbs and a fresh top end should get this thing going for a good while.

+1
    I'm fairly certain that the cases are different. I know the 900 and 1100 heads are different. I think the cylinder spacing is different, but I don't remember for sure. If that's the case, then the cases, cranks, etc. would be different.

I brought the newly bought cylinders to the machinist. He is concerned about the base surface of the cylinders. It looks like somebody used a pry at to remove the cylinders from the case and marred up some of the surface. Does anyone know how much can be milled off of the cylinders and still be within specs? I believe it is called decking the surface of the cylinders. I know there’s not much wiggle room there because it will change the compression of the cylinders but if anyone knows please inform me. The other option is to fill any low spots with epoxy and then mill back to original height to attain a flat surface, or resleeve the cylinders I have that are already bored out. Thanks

+1
    When I come across one like that I fill the damage with JB Weld then file smooth. No need for anything more.

That was my first idea, to jb weld the low spots and have the machinist clean it up to make it flat again, this way he’s not taking anything off the base of the cylinders and changing compression on me. I think that is the way I’ll go. First he’s gonna clean up the bores and see if they are good. Thanks for the input

The zxi is alive again!!! Just fired it up and she’s blowing smoke like she’s supposed to!! So here’s what happened: I spent a bunch of money gathering parts to build a 96/97 style motor to drop in my 03 zxi 1100. I collected a set of cylinders stock bore, a cylinder head, a set of upper and lower cases for a 96/97 1100, a crank with a coupler which turned out to be a 900, an upper case/starter/reeds/blocks and intake which also turned out to be for a 900, as well as a set of cdk2’s with out the accelerator pump also from a 900 (based on the jetting). After all that the cylinders were unusable due to damage on the base surface. The I stumbled upon a 97 stx1100 motor complete with cdk2’s with the accelerator pump. Just dropped her in after a carb rebuild, and new set of exhaust gaskets plugs and a fuel filter. Fired right up!!!! I’m stoked I can wait to test it on The water now! Needles to say I’ve got plenty of parts left over as mentioned above plus the sbt motor I pulled out of it and cdcv carbs it had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information