Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil and smoke

Oil and smoke

I just bought a 2016 Kawasaki Ultra 310 R. It has 74 hours. First time out, I ran it pretty hard, saw some smoke come out. Next time, checked oil, filled it up, took her for a run, smoke aging, one guy said it was blue. Got tons of advise from boaters, ranging from “the engine is about to blow” to”they do that, just rev it.” No loss in power, but oil over the engine, but spray, not a hull full of it. Do I need to get it looked at or what? Any ideas?
    Thanks!

+1
    Welcome aboard, Shine!

I'm surprised that nobody has responded. Start with a compression test.

+1
    I’m not sure I’m following what is happening. It sounds like you have an oil leak from the engine to the hull. Is it a mist or just a small quantity? Is the smoke from the exhaust or the engine compartment?

I am pretty sure it is a head gasket at this point, as I have now found oil in the hull. I have an appointment at a Kawasaki dealer in Purcellville, VA, but I am at their mercy, as I have no idea what something like this will cost to repair. Any ideas? It is either a head gasket or all the gaskets.

Thanks. I think. So far, two rides and it is costing me money,......Oh well, 1st world problems. I found oil in the hull,so it is a leak of some kind,based on that there is still some oil in it, I am thinking head gasket. Any idea how much that costs in a dealer to fix?

+1
    Got the extended warranty? Might be something to consider.

+1
    Yeah hate to hear that Shine. My wife’s 2016 310R has been an amazing ski to say the least.

Don’t over fill the oil cause that can cause leaks. I would clean it up and run it on the hose and look to see where oil is coming from. Could be something stupid. And overfilling can cause smoke out the exaust aswell. Did you look at your spark plugs to see if they have white residue on them ? Head gaskets usually burn water/coolant not leak oil into hull. Maybe a valve cover gasket.

After putting it aside for ages, I bought a service manual and it looks like someone modded it. I have two k&n filters at the blow off valve and relief valve. It seems that this is where the oil is coming out. I tried to find the original OEM hoses from there to the air box, but so far, I cannot find them.

+1
    That's interesting. Could be the problem.

Did you check the oil level with the engine being level and after it has been run a couple of minutes? It will read low when cold and if you put too much in, you can cause it to foam and damage the engine.

Did you do a compression test?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information