+1

Charging up battery while still in the ski

I'm thinking about doing some wiring at my boat dock where I'll be able to just use an SAE, 2-pin quick disconnect to hook up one of my battery chargers. I'll be able to leave the AGM battery in the ski. In fact, I probably won't even have to uncover the ski.

Anyway, I normally remove the battery from the skis and charge it whenever the skis have been sitting for a while. I'd like to make things easier and leave the batteries in. I just wanted to make sure that I can charge the battery while the battery is still connected to my Yamaha GP1800R (2019), VXR (2013) and VXS (2012.) I'm pretty sure the answer is YES.

Back when I owned a pair of 1996 Sea Doo XP skis, this was a no-no. It was always recommended to remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Some owners reported it affecting the computers if the battery were charged while still connected up to the ski.

+1
    I’ve been charging my batteries in everything I own this way for years and never had a problem. I use these and just leave them connected
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	464409  

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    I’ve been charging my batteries in everything I own this way for years and never had a problem. I use these and just leave them connected
    Yes! That's exactly what I was going to use. Thank you, BLASTER!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    Yes! That's exactly what I was going to use. Thank you, BLASTER!
    Also not sure if code requires you to have a GFI outlet, I know here in Comifornia you do

I've been doing it this way for years on my skis. Usually remove the battery from my boat as it is just easier based upon where I store it.

+1
    Also not sure if code requires you to have a GFI outlet, I know here in Comifornia you do
    I do have GFCI outlets at my boat dock.

That's not just Commiefornia. That's just common sense for wiring outdoor plugs or plugs near water.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
    ... [GFCI electrical circuit protection] ... for wiring outdoor plugs or plugs near water.
    Connecting AC electrical power (even just a battery charger) to any watercraft that is floating/docked or in any way touching a body of water is a very specific situation.

Household Ground Fault Circuit Interruption (GFCI) devices are not intended for this use. Among other things, stray leakage current through the ‘ground‘ circuit can initiate or accelerate galvanic corrosion of the watercraft metal parts. This can happen even if there is no electrical power to the AC circuit. The AC ground wire can have voltage potential relative to the body of water the hull is in contact with.

Larger boats/yachts that regularly use ‘shore power’ have specific electrical system precautions to prevent inadvertent damage from leakage current and galvanic corrosion effects.

I will suggest that before connecting a battery charger or any other AC powered equipment to a watercraft that is not out of the water, specific research be done to determine whether there are electrical safety or potential corrosion concerns that need to be addressed.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/AC%20...ectrolysis.htm

https://www.deimarine.com/galvanic-corrosion/

https://www.seamagazine.com/tips-to-...for-your-boat/

10. +1 by:

+1
    ...I will suggest that before connecting a battery charger or any other AC powered equipment to a watercraft that is not out of the water, specific research be done to determine whether there are electrical safety or potential corrosion concerns that need to be addressed.
    My watercraft are on lifts completely out of the water. No metal portion of the built in lifts are touching the water. However, two of my pwc lifts are side mounted with large, vertical columns going down into the water. Here is a picture:

My plan with the battery charger is to only charge the batteries when I think they need charging. I do not leave a trickle charger on my batteries. Personal preference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plum.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	464433  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    My watercraft are on lifts completely out of the water. No metal portion of the built in lifts are touching the water. However, two of my pwc lifts are side mounted with large, vertical columns going down into the water. Here is a picture:

My plan with the battery charger is to only charge the batteries when I think they need charging. I do not leave a trickle charger on my batteries. Personal preference.
    That looks fine to me. The hull is (I presume) sitting on wood bunks, which presumably keep the entire hull and ride plate electrically isolated from the metal lift.

I have a polarized connector with pigtail wires permanently connected to the battery in each of my PWC. The plug end is clipped up high inside the hull where I can easily reach it after removing the seat.

My charger has a matching polarized plug. Makes it easy to connect and charge the battery. No messing with spring clips to the battery.

Thread Information