Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Brand new vx cruiser HO listing to the left

Hello all,

just purchased my very first jet ski. Itís a 2020 vx cruiser ho and Iím having some issues already. The most noticeable problem is that it leans hard to the left. And I mean like engine off sitting in the water the left side sits about 2 inches lower in the water than the right. The left sponson is submerged. The right sponson is out of the water and thereís no water in the engine bay. Any idea what the heck is going on? engine misaligned? It makes riding at slow speeds really sketchy because it wants to tip left very easily.

another issue is that it wonít rev past 6500 rpms. My thoughts on this is that itís still limited by the computer because I only have about 8-10 engine hours on it. I did all the proper break in procedures for it straight from the manual. I only weigh 200 pounds and the ski is topping out at 45-50 mph. Everything Iíve read says it should do 60 easily with a max speed of close to 65.

+1
    A couple of my skis have a slight list to them: My 2019 GP1800R, 2013 VXR and 1994 WaveRaider. The list is very, very slight and goes away once I'm up on plane. From the sounds of it, your ski is listing a lot.

It's hard to imagine what could be causing it if there is no water in the hull. I'm assuming that when the ski is listing there is no water in either footwell?

Does your ski continue the listing as you go faster? My 1997 GP1200 doesn't list any. However, about 3 years ago something strange started happening to the handling of the ski. Above about 40 mph, the ski kind of does a little jerk and then it lean over a little bit to one side. I have to counteract that listing with the handle bar and that causes the ski to "crab" and scrub off speed. It doesn't feel stable when this is happening, either. BTW, it's not a broken plastic, OEM trim tab. I replaced both of the OEM trim tabs many years ago with aluminum trim tabs. They're solidly mounted.

Your ski is new so it might be time to take it back to the dealer if you can't find what's causing it to list.

Here is another person complaining about low rpm with a 2020 VX Cruiser HO:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=287896

Your ski shouldn't be limiting the rpm at all unless you have the "learner or slow speed mode" activated. I don't know what the max rpm is in learner or low speed mode.

Thank you very much for the reply! So I called the dealership and they said the slight left lean is normal. But to me it seemed a bit too much to be normal. Like when I’m sitting on it by myself going about 5mph it’s really easy to just roll it left. I have to make a conscious effort to put my weight down on my right foot so I don’t flip. When it sits in the water it’s a noticeable lean. I dropped the ski off at the dealer and I’m waiting to hear what they say. I’m just praying they don’t try to convince me it’s completely normal and do nothing to help.
    They also told me the 6500 rpm thing is because these 1.8L engines take close to 50 hours to fully break in. But anyone I’ve talked to has said they can hit 7000-7500 easily. I’ll be patient and try to update with information that I discover. Right now I’m praying I don’t have a lemon on my hands.

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    That drastic of a lean and low rpms and therefore speed is not normal. 50 hour break in is baloney and would make me very suspect of anything that dealer says. If they dont find anything, I would get a second opinion.

+1
    I completely agree with Luke!

I'm getting about 7000RPM on mine and has about 6hrs on machine. I have not noticed a listing to the left but will try to get a picture of it sitting in the water this weekend for you to compare.
    I'm only running on a lake about 800ft elevation. So altitude wouldn't be affecting it

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqappert View Post
    ... they said the slight left lean is normal. ... when Iím sitting on it by myself going about 5mph itís really easy to just roll it left. ...
    Have you checked for water accumulation inside the bilge?

It is typical to have a few cupfuls of water in the rear bilge area behind the mid-wall, but not gallons of water.

The exhaust waterbox is in the left rear and it can accumulate some water while riding slowly. I suppose it could add a bit of left lean bias until the next throttle squeeze pushes the excess water out. On my GP1800 (same hull as VXR/VX Cruiser) I have never noticed an Ďexcessiveí lean to either side.

Certainly not enough that I was ever concerned about instability and rolling over. During very low speed maneuvers when turning hard one must be mindful about wave action and not causing your own roll.

Adding a passenger does increase the need to control weight movement and balance. Passenger leaning the wrong way at the wrong time can exacerbate the hull angle.

How much rider weight is on board when the tippy feeling occurs?

So I checked for water in the engine bay and it looked like there was MAYBE a cup full and the foot wells were clear. Just sitting in the water engine off, no rider, no water in hull or foot wells, it sits 1-2 inches lower on the left. The tipping feeling is felt when I ride alone and I weigh about 200 pounds. When me AND my girlfriend ride together the lean is even worse and our combined weight is probably about 330 pounds.
    I understand that low speed operation is going to be unstable but the left lean basically means I can’t turn right going slow because it tips the ski left. Turning left however is not worrisome at all. I don’t feel like I’m going over the right side.

it’s at the dealership now. But my experience with them through the buying process was strained to put it nicely. So I’m worried they are gonna glimpse at it and say it’s normal. That’s why I wanted to do my research to make sure this particular ski isn’t just super left biased. I may have to contact Yamaha directly.

+1
    ... Just sitting in the water engine off, no rider, no water in hull or foot wells, it sits 1-2 inches lower on the left. ...

... the left lean basically means I canít turn right going slow because it tips the ski left. ...

itís at the dealership now. ... Iím worried they are gonna glimpse at it and say itís normal. Thatís why I wanted to do my research to make sure this particular ski isnít just super left biased.

I may have to contact Yamaha directly.
    Two inches difference in freeboard between the opposite sides seems excessive when sitting still with nobody on board.

Nothing in front storage of significant weight?

I am wondering if there is water trapped inside the hull, between the inner hull liner and the outer hull.
    There is (supposed to be) foam in between the molded inner liner and the molded hull but the foam may not 100% fill the voids so there is room for water.

If the shop has a test tank they could float your hull, measure the rub rail to water surface height on each side, then do the same with another example of a similar model (same hull, HO cruiser/VXR/whatever, something with the same engine weight).

+1
    ... Just sitting in the water engine off, no rider, no water in hull or foot wells, it sits 1-2 inches lower on the left. ...

... the left lean basically means I canít turn right going slow because it tips the ski left. ...

itís at the dealership now. ... Iím worried they are gonna glimpse at it and say itís normal. Thatís why I wanted to do my research to make sure this particular ski isnít just super left biased.

I may have to contact Yamaha directly.
    Two inches difference in freeboard between the opposite sides seems excessive when sitting still with nobody on board.

Nothing in front storage of significant weight?

I am wondering if there is water trapped inside the hull, between the inner hull liner and the outer hull.
    There is (supposed to be) foam in between the molded inner liner and the molded hull but the foam may not 100% fill the voids so there is room for water.

If the shop has a test tank they could float your hull, measure the rub rail to water surface height on each side, then do the same with another example of a similar model (same hull, HO cruiser/VXR/whatever, something with the same engine weight).

If the waterbox internally was broken/damaged/incorrectly manufactured) it is possible the waterbox just holds a lot of water and never ejects the water even when the engine is revved up. Inspection may or may not reveal anything. To get the waterbox out of the hull may require the exhaust manifold assembly to be removed from the engine.

Normally the waterbox has an internal vertical tube that extends down from the top hose fitting for the exhaust hose to near the bottom. That forces (most of) the water to leave when the exhaust flow increases. At low speeds water is allowed to accumulate inside to help mute the exhaust noise.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information