Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Only things in the front were the essentials (small fire extinguisher, paddle, rope, pair of flip flops). I’d be really sad if they mis-manufactured the hull to get water inside of it. It’s a brand new jet ski. I put the first 10 hours on it myself and it’s the first jet ski I’ve ever owned. I hoped by buying brand new I’d avoid a lot of issues of people mistreating their jet skis. I feel like I’m about to have a massive uphill battle with the dealership on this one. I may try to contact Yamaha directly just to see if they have any procedures for lemon jet skis.

as far as the low rpm and low top speed issue I’m a little more comforted by the fact that the lake I tend to go to is 4500 feet above sea level so some people have said I need a shallower pitched impeller to hit higher rpms. Not happy about that. But also not as concerned if that’s really the issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqappert View Post
    ... contact Yamaha directly just to see if they have any procedures for ...
    Yamaha does have procedures. *
    You might not like them.

Defer to the dealer for possible diagnostics and customer management is a primary tactic.

* The other brand is generally similar in this regard.

So it sounds like Yamahas policy is to defer to the dealerships discretion?

Typical dealer response that you got there. I would say something is off somewhere on the hull. Performance wise, I can't chime in if that performance is normal for your elevation.

+1
    as far as the low rpm and low top speed issue Iím a little more comforted by the fact that the lake I tend to go to is 4500 feet above sea level so some people have said I need a shallower pitched impeller to hit higher rpms. Not happy about that. But also not as concerned if thatís really the issue.
    Your speed even at 4500ft elevation still sounds way slow. How are you measuring speed? I never trust the speedometer. You really need a gps reading. My GP1800R's speedo has given me some really inaccurate readings even at medium speeds. I pretty much ignore any non-gps, pwc speedometers.

Remember, all the Denver people are at about 5300' elevation and I would just think that we'd hear an occasional DEN person come onto this forum and complain about a speed that slow.

I wish you had a picture of the listing ski floating in the water so that we could see how bad it is.

Yeah I was quite disappointed by the speed. Used a GPS app on my phone and seemed like it was about 2 mph faster than the onboard speedo. The absolute fastest I could read on the gps speedo was 53. And I agree 4500 ft isn’t anything crazy you’d think on glass I should still hit 58mph easily. Considering all others have stated they can reach 63-64mph.
    my ski is in the shop. But I’ve had a very very difficult time with this dealership from the start. I was lied to about financing. They tried to trick me into paying 50 dollars more per month without showing me the interest rate of my loan. I was pretty upset. Then once everything was signed and done they said it would take 2 days to build my ski and after two days they tried to tell me they built the wrong one and I’d have to wait another 2 days. But I had to raise hell to get it built immediately. So I’m very very concerned they are going to tell me it’s all normal and that’s just how this ski is supposed to run. As soon as I get it back and put it on water (if they don’t fix the lean) I will post pics.

do you think I should be worried if they fix the lean by mounting the engine out of drive shaft alignment? I’m going to have a different Yamaha shop look at it when they are done. Because I don’t believe that shop can be trusted.

+1
    Having a different Yamaha dealer look at the ski is a good idea especially in light of the fact that you don't trust your current dealership at all.

I really don't know how they can "remount" your engine. The engine mounts are where they are from the factory. If they were mounted off center from the factory, I would imagine that you'd have other issues. Now that I think about it, you do have other issues! Maybe something is way off causing the lean and resulting in your low speed.

Here is a link to my 2 year old, on going thread about my 1997 GP1200's loss of speed and leaning (while running only!)

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270784

If you have time, read some of it. It is better than me trying to rehash it here. I still haven't' found the problem .

Well I’ve found out the you can align the engine in order to get the driveshaft perfectly straight. Idk if that has much to do with the lean. I’m kind of thinking the lean is caused by a misshapen hull. Which would basically mean my ski is unfixable. What I really really don’t want is them to give me a temporary fix to get me out of their hair so that I pass the one year manufacturer warranty and can’t do anything about it. I just want my brand new jet ski to be perfect you know? I spent 12 grand I want it to be exactly the way I want it to be.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqappert View Post
    Well Iíve found out the you can align the engine in order to get the driveshaft perfectly straight. Idk if that has much to do with the lean. Iím kind of thinking the lean is caused by a misshapen hull. Which would basically mean my ski is unfixable.

... I just want my brand new jet ski to be ... exactly [as it should be].
    The engine to jet pump alignment is quite specific. The engine cannot be Ďmoved aroundí to affect hull balance. It must be positioned precisely where it needs to be to agree/match with the jet pump/driveshaft. There is also a mid-shaft support bearing mounted to the mid-wall. All these things are aligned to each other.

I find it hard to imagine that (admittedly rather large and hefty) 1.8 liter engine could be mounted in the hull so far offside that it would change the overall weight balance away from the hull centerline.

Hmm. Then I’d be really curious to see what the dealer says they can do to fix the issue. It doesn’t sound like there’s much they can do. If the ski is truly just leaning one way would any of you say I’d have any kind of grounds to just get a new ski? It literally has 10 hours on it. I’m fairly new to these things and don’t want to be stuck with a defective jet ski.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information