Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2002 900 STS Idling Issue

Good afternoon,

Over the past several months I have been working on getting my two 2002 900 STS jet skis back in working order. Each of them only have 10 hours on them.

I drained the old gas out of both of them and filled up with fresh premix gas. I also replaced all of the oil lines and replaced the fuel filters.

I am having an odd issue though. One of the 900 STS jet skis is running perfectly. I never removed the carbs or anything. Fresh gas and a new battery and it starts up after a few seconds and idles great and runs great with a water hose attached.

The other jet ski is giving me an issue. The first time I started it it ran great with a hose attached, but ever since the first time it does not run as well. It only idles around 900 rpm while the other one will idle close to 1,800 which is what the owner's manual says it should be for out of water.

I installed a primer kit in the one that is not running great. (I left the choke and installed the primer like this guy did http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90645).

The odd thing is when I prime the ski and start it it idles up like it should and runs great for a few seconds until it uses up the primed gas which is when it idles back down to 900 rpm. Once I give it any throttle it just dies.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I would appreciate any insight.

I forgot to mention I also replaced the fuel lines on both skis as well.

+1
    Welcome aboard, TC2!

The odd thing is that they would run at all after sitting for 18 years with old gas in them.

Time to go through the carbs, replace the inline fuel filters, and pull the strainers in the tanks.

I believe I found the issue. I just took the carbs off and took the covers off. Very clean and looked new, but one of the carbs was full of oil. I will upload a pic later.

I forgot a couple things I did over the past few months. When I first removed the carbs on the troublesome ski one of pressed oil line fittings came loose and the small ball bearing fell out. I knew I would need to replace it so when I had time I researched the size and bought some. Another guy on this forum or another had a similar issue.

I replaced the ball bearing no problem. I checked the other press fittings to make sure the ball bearings were in them too, but one of the springs that hold the ball bearing against the fitting to shut off the oil flow fell out.

I haven't been able to find it or find a place that sells a similar one.

This caused oil to flow by gravity into the carb. I thought the ball bearing would still work without the spring, but it definitely won't.

I believe that is why it won't run right. It's just running off of two cylinders with the third trying to suck in straight oil.

By the way I did replace the suction filters in the tanks of both jet skis. The filters were gone and the tubes were brittle. I didn't want to spend over $150 for the whole assembly so I bought a $50 assembly from an 1100 I believe it was and swapped the tubes over. They were about 1/4 shorter, but I believe they will work with no issue.

Would anyone be willing to remove one of the springs from their carb that have converted to premix and send it to me? Or if anyone knows where I can buy one let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

+1
    Just remove the strainers inside the tank and install rubber hoses to extend the pickups to the right level in the tank. You don't need strainers in the tank if you've got an inline filter.

You can replace the pop-off valves with some from the old Kawasaki STX 1100 DI, or from the 2-stroke Yamaha 1100 and 1200 engines. The Kawasaki valves press into the crankcase or intake manifold, depending upon model year. The Yamaha valves go in the oil hose.

You might find some on Ebay, but pressure test them before using them. They should hold pressure in one direction and open at 4-5 PSI in the other.

7. +1 by:

TC2

Do you mean pressure testing the little oil fittings? How do I go about that?

+1
    Yes, you have to build a pressure testing jig, perhaps the same as what you would use to test the pop-off pressure of the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yes, you have to build a pressure testing jig, perhaps the same as what you would use to test the pop-off pressure of the carbs.
    I think I understand you now. How do you know it is supposed to be 4-5psi? Is that information somewhere?

I bought the repair manual for the 900 STS about a month or so ago and couldn't find any information on those oil fittings.

I am currently trying to source a cheap set of Keihin CDCV carbs. Most of the ones on eBay are $100 or more. I guess it would be good to have for parts, but I hate to pay that much for such a small spring.

+1
    No specs published for the pop-off valves that I know of. I've just tested about 50 of them. About one in five won't hold any pressure, the rest hold 4-5 PSI.

The Yamaha part number is: 6R3-13183-10-00 They're expensive!

12. +1 by:

TC2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information