2009 VX Cruiser hard to steer/slow take off

Picked up a 2009 VX cruiser with 150 hours last weekend and it runs nicely, been well maintained. Took it out on Friday morning to the lake and noticed two things. One, you have to be superman to turn the damn thing-the steering is very, very stiff, to the point it is difficult to turn. Suspect it is a steering cable issue-was wondering if I can simply add some lubricant and loosen it up, is it possibly rubbing or pinching somewhere, or is it better to replace the whole cable?

Also, it seemed a bit sluggish taking off. Starts right up every time I crank the ski but it seems to have some hesitation when asking it to go faster and it revs up to almost 6000/7000 (max rpm on the gauge is like 8500!) before it really starts to move at any speed more than a fast idle. And then it seems to only want to go around 35 mph while at 6500/7000 rpm, no faster. I didn't push it hard because the steering was funky, but it seemed like it should do better than that. I'm not as familiar with the four stroke since the only thing I've ever had is a two stroke 95 wave venture, but even though that thing has a tiny motor in comparison it flies when you hit the throttle so it just doesn't seem right to me.

I am planning on picking up some new spark plugs tomorrow or Tuesday when I get the time since I've read these engines are a bit bad at fouling the plugs out. I was also going to recheck the impeller to make sure I didn't suck anything up by mistake but it's poured raining for two days straight when I wasn't at work. Any other suggestions?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    That thing has set for most of its life... Get a manual and service every thing you can... Best to replace cables as once they go bad there's really no bringing them back... I wouldn't run it again till you changed the oil and filter, plugs, check the pump/prop over good and check the pump bearings, make sure the fuel lines are good, drain any gas in the tank and start with fresh gas...

Thanks. Came with the manual, I'll make sure to go over the areas in it good if it will freaking stop raining. Gas tank was almost empty so I filled it up with ethanol free before I took it out on Friday. I'll try to pick up a steering cable at some point and see how to install it. Same goes with changing the oil and filter.

What is the best way to check the pump bearings?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Pull the pump

Quote Originally Posted by erravit View Post
    Picked up a 2009 VX cruiser with 150 hours last weekend and it runs nicely, been well maintained. Took it out on Friday morning to the lake and noticed two things. One, you have to be superman to turn the damn thing-the steering is very, very stiff, to the point it is difficult to turn. Suspect it is a steering cable issue-was wondering if I can simply add some lubricant and loosen it up, is it possibly rubbing or pinching somewhere, or is it better to replace the whole cable?

Also, it seemed a bit sluggish taking off. Starts right up every time I crank the ski but it seems to have some hesitation when asking it to go faster and it revs up to almost 6000/7000 (max rpm on the gauge is like 8500!) before it really starts to move at any speed more than a fast idle. And then it seems to only want to go around 35 mph while at 6500/7000 rpm, no faster. I didn't push it hard because the steering was funky, but it seemed like it should do better than that. I'm not as familiar with the four stroke since the only thing I've ever had is a two stroke 95 wave venture, but even though that thing has a tiny motor in comparison it flies when you hit the throttle so it just doesn't seem right to me.

I am planning on picking up some new spark plugs tomorrow or Tuesday when I get the time since I've read these engines are a bit bad at fouling the plugs out. I was also going to recheck the impeller to make sure I didn't suck anything up by mistake but it's poured raining for two days straight when I wasn't at work. Any other suggestions?
    I have the same year and model.

1) For the 6500rpm limit - Check if there is oil in the air box and check the oil level. As others said, do the regular maintenance items. My situation was as follows. Would not rev past 6500rpm randomly about 2 weeks after purchase (400ish hours). Checked oil level - read at full. This is too high. Should read at low when not run for a day. Checked air box. About a pint of oil sitting in the base of it because oil was over-full. Checked plugs - fouled out with oil.
    I changed oil, plugs, air filter, and cleaned out air box. Damned thing runs insanely well.

2) As for the steering, I will be following your thread. Mine seems to have tight steering when I press hard on the throttle but loos steering at lower speeds. I thought this was a protective measure to prevent flipping the ski. Maybe my throttle cable is actually worn out though.

Thread Information