Thread: My 1200r

My 1200r

I have a 2001 1200r with a couple mods done and I want some advice on what I should do in my specific circumstance. So far weve installed riva cat delete D plate, temp sensor chip, riva power valve kit, oil injection removal, extended and weighted fuel pickups for dual feed to the stock carbs, r&d extended ride plate that has been machined to about 4.8 degrees, top loader intake grate, riva pump seal, drilled 11 holes in the hood for airflow, custom straight pipe exhaust, Prok individual flame arrestors, automatic electric bulge pump, and Ill be sending out my cylinder head to be machined at the end of the season. Id like to keep a single pipe setup, and am looking for 75 mph or higher.

+1
    75mph with a non ported 1200r is a challenge and would be a smooth water setup. The extended ride plate will cost some speed. By straight pipe you mean you have a free flow correct?
    If you could put an '05+ pump and spacer with a dynafly 14/20 impeller that would give you some more mph.
    Last edited by Ronn25; 07-13-2020 at 06:12 AM.

3. +1 by:

Ronn25...… Thanks for the reply. This post was started by my son.

He did mean the free flow exhaust, silencer removed and straight pipe installed.

We have an extended R&D plate modified to 5*. We also have a R&D intake grate. The impeller is stock for now. We have switched to pre-mix and dual fed the carbs as stated The carbs are still stock and intact without modifications. We will be installing Prok F/A's, but probably after the season is done.

We have also installed an Island Racing holeshot kit and an electric bilge pump.

Our compression is decent but a touch low on rear jug. This fall we plan on removing the head and sending it out to Newmiler Machine. If the jugs need work I will send them out to US Chrome to have them Nickasil plated and possibly new pistons installed....maybe go 1300?? And if we go this route will likely have Newmiller port the cylinder too.

+1
    I understand. To really get to 75mph or more a ported 1300 top end would be the way to go. While that speed with a 1200 is possible it would be a smooth water setup in perfect conditions with all the tricks in the book thrown at it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    I understand. To really get to 75mph or more a ported 1300 top end would be the way to go. While that speed with a 1200 is possible it would be a smooth water setup in perfect conditions with all the tricks in the book thrown at it for sure.
    Ronn.... thanks for the info. We are already talking about going to a 1300cc build. As I stated, we have spoken to Newmiller Machine about cutting the head and domes.

My question is... would we need a 1300 head or can we use our 1200 head?

Thanks for all the input dude!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr View Post
    Ronn.... thanks for the info. We are already talking about going to a 1300cc build. As I stated, we have spoken to Newmiller Machine about cutting the head and domes.

My question is... would we need a 1300 head or can we use our 1200 head?

Thanks for all the input dude!
    I would ask them but I would think they could easily machine it to work....it shouldn't be a problem.

+1
    75 on a ported 1300 is pretty achievable. Set up is key and remember the new skis will kill a GPR in any rough water. GPR is great on flat water

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    75 on a ported 1300 is pretty achievable. Set up is key and remember the new skis will kill a GPR in any rough water. GPR is great on flat water
    Thanks Mike!! We are thinking of doing a 1300 bore and having Newmiller do the head too. I think we may also pick up a set of 1300 reed cages... we’ve read they flow better than the 1200 cages.

Does anyone have any input on an aftermarket cdi? Also triple pipes are on the way so if that makes any difference.

I’ve seen the MSD enhancer on Riva does anyone know if that’s any good?

Thread Information