Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris Virage TX locks up now and then

Hello everyone, hope yall doing well.
    I just want to say I looked everywhere to find help to solve my problem and so far no luck.

I have recently purchased Polaris Virage Tx 2002 fuel injected. I had one a while ago and loved it.

The PWC was locked up, the overall condition is great.
    Took the plug out, sprayed WD40, and tried spinning motor by hand. Did not work right away, took the pump off let wd40 sit in the cylinder for a day.

Got the motor free, started the ski no problem. A bit loud than I remember it was.
    Inspected the pump assy all looks fine, bearing feels smooth no rust anywhere at all. Impeller looks brand new, but when you turn it binds in one spot.
    Not to bad, still spins. Read here somewhere to just leave it and after a few rides, it will adjust on its own.

Put everything back together and took it to the lake, started just fine after 10 minutes just stopped, would not crank. After few tries it finally cranked and I made it to the shore.
    Died again before pulling to the dock, the same situation would not crank, just clicked, after few tries, it became loose again and it started.

Compression is 120 on all cylinders, a new battery.
    I ordered a new aluminum wear ring and thinking about replacing the one in now (SS). Read it here somewhere this can cause lockups.

I am looking for some tips on how to diagnose the problem, is it my swollen wear ring, my pistons, crank, bearing or all that causes the motor to lock up.

Thank you all in advance..

+1
    Since the motor was locked up when you got it I would suspect the motor. Mine was acting like that when the crank bearings let go, but it also sounds like piston seizure. The first thing is to make sure it’s not the pump. Can you remove the pump when it’s locked up? Also how hot is the drive coupler when it’s locked up? When my crank bearings went the coupler was blistering hot.

+1
    Might want to replace the starter solenoid, unless you are sure that the motor is stuck when it won't turn over. If the motor is actually getting stuck, then it's time for a complete rebuild.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by les4 View Post
    Hello everyone, hope yall doing well.
    I just want to say I looked everywhere to find help to solve my problem and so far no luck.

I have recently purchased Polaris Virage Tx 2002 fuel injected. I had one a while ago and loved it.

The PWC was locked up, the overall condition is great.
    Took the plug out, sprayed WD40, and tried spinning motor by hand. Did not work right away, took the pump off let wd40 sit in the cylinder for a day.

Got the motor free, started the ski no problem. A bit loud than I remember it was.
    Inspected the pump assy all looks fine, bearing feels smooth no rust anywhere at all. Impeller looks brand new, but when you turn it binds in one spot.
    Not to bad, still spins. Read here somewhere to just leave it and after a few rides, it will adjust on its own.

Put everything back together and took it to the lake, started just fine after 10 minutes just stopped, would not crank. After few tries it finally cranked and I made it to the shore.
    Died again before pulling to the dock, the same situation would not crank, just clicked, after few tries, it became loose again and it started.

Compression is 120 on all cylinders, a new battery.
    I ordered a new aluminum wear ring and thinking about replacing the one in now (SS). Read it here somewhere this can cause lockups.

I am looking for some tips on how to diagnose the problem, is it my swollen wear ring, my pistons, crank, bearing or all that causes the motor to lock up.

Thank you all in advance..
    Is this a salt water machine?

I don't know where you are reading about bearings ‘adjusting themselves’ and ‘loosening up’.

That is not how the steel bearings work in these machines. The only way for the internal bearings to become tight or lock up is for the bearing to have rust or mechanical wear/damage. This is true for the engine and for the jet pump.

Jet pump bearings that are binding need to be replaced. Right away. There is a real risk of catastrophic bearing failure while the engine is running that can damage the impeller and the stator hub, and perhaps more.

The engine may ALSO have failing bearings.

Even a small amount of surface rust in the engine crankshaft bearings tends to lead to complete bearing failure rapidly, especially out on the water riding at speed where the engine is turning 6000+ RPM and everything is under load.

My suggestion is to rebuild the jet pump now, then water test again. If the engine suddenly stops or even shows signs of slowing down unexpectedly with the rebuilt jet pump then the engine may need to be torn down for internal inspection, and potential rebuild.

The start solenoid should be replaced if it is original, as the factory original solenoid can fail suddenly and cause damage to the starter motor and battery, even a potential electrical fire. The replacement solenoid is a much better design which does not corrode internally.

Is this a carburetor engine? Have you cleaned and rebuilt the carbs? New fuel filter, new fuel hoses, etc?
    That is an 18 year old fuel system, you want it to be 100% good.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    When you inspected the jet pump were there signs of the wear ring liner swelling and binding against the impeller?

The ski looks like a freshwater, very clean.
    What I really meant is the impeller will eventually shave the binding part off not the bearing will readjust itself.
    When I took the jet pump off it all looked rust-free, impeller looks brand new, wear ring looks original but all very clean.

Bearing looks rust free and it turns smooth but not particularly easy, maybe it should be turning kinda hard? not like you spin it and it just continues to spin.
    Nothing gets hot in there, everything is warm to the touch
    I will check on the starter solenoid, but I don't think its the problem when you trying to start it you can feel it wants to turn but does not, it's not just blank click

Impeller does bind in one spot, cant really tell if the ring is swollen in that spot, but it does binds.

Not sure if I can get it to lock without being in the water without a pump, om the hose it does not lock up.
    Ones the pump is removed, plugs are out, how hard and how smooth it needs to turn? I feel like when I did that there were spots where it was kinda hard to turn but I thought it was back pressure, cause I heard it hissing.

I do have a major leak somewhere, hull takes water in fast, don't think that is the problem
    This one direct injects, and I just notices there is a fuel leak, around cylinder one in the bottom hose that comes into the injector.

If it is an engine problem how do you guys recommend I rebuilt it? Are there any rebuild kits that are sold?
    How can I tell if it is a piston seizure or crank bearings?

Here is the video of it running, kinda loud

Than you all

+1
    In that video, is that on a trailer or in a shop? No load on the motor? If that is running with no load on the motor, it sounds like it’s running on two cylinders. It sounds very piggy.... very labored.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    In that video, is that on a trailer or in a shop? No-load on the motor? If that is running with no load on the motor, it sounds like it’s running on two cylinders. It sounds very piggy.... very labored.
    It does? I have not noticed. It is on the trailer.
    I will come home tonight and see if it is in fact running on two, I don't think so.

It could be very labored, I guess. I have tried turning the engine by hand with no plug and its not very easy, not sure how easy it should be, but I feel like at times like backpressure builds up hence I can't turn it very easy.

Thank you

+1
    I also thought it sounded sluggish. I wondered if it was just my ears.

With no spark plugs and no binding from the pump the
    engine should be fairly easy to turn by hand. Without plugs there should be no back pressure or compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    I also thought it sounded sluggish. I wondered if it was just my ears.

With no spark plugs and no binding from the pump the
    the engine should be fairly easy to turn by hand. Without plugs, there should be no backpressure or compression.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh man, why do I have backpressure, or it may feel like backpressure, but I can hear heasing sound as try to turn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information