+1

Question Converting '13 FZ to 160mm prop

Trying to get some clarification on what is required to do this, so I can better understand the cost.

First, it appears as though most people suggest running the 160mm props intended for the SVHO skis, because the hub allows them to perform better. In addition to a 160mm wear ring, some posts indicate that a spacer or driveshaft modification is required to allow the prop to fit with the '09-13 stator. Is this true?

Second, I'm receiving mixed feedback on whether an OEM SVHO wear ring will bolt up to my 2013 transom plate. Some posts say a '14-16 transom for an FZ is required or that the '09-13 must be machined to accept it. Is this true? And if so, I assume this same problem exists for those with '09-13 FZ trying to install the new 2020 pump kit offered in the store as well?

Thanks in advance.

If you install an SVHO wear ring on a SHO the water pickup is going to be offset and bleed water infront of the SHO pump.You can go full SVHO from pump to intake grate or do things the easier way which would be simply to purchase an aftermarket 160mm wear ring for a SHO and file down the SVHO prop slightly by hand to fit everything you already have.This is because the SVHO prop is really not 160mm on the nose but rather ever so slightly larger in diameter.That prop is going to load the engine alot so be sure to start at a 13/18pitch with stock tail cone and 87ish nozzle

+1
    get a old damaged wear ring for your ski and send it to scat trac and have them install a 160 stainless wear ring then purchase a 160 prop your desired pitch and you are good to go (the water engine feed hole is still matched up). On a side note when going from 155 to 160 your 160 prop usually needs to be two less pitches than you were using on the 155 on the trailing edge to keep your max rpms close to the same. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    If you install an SVHO wear ring on a SHO the water pickup is going to be offset and bleed water infront of the SHO pump.You can go full SVHO from pump to intake grate or do things the easier way which would be simply to purchase an aftermarket 160mm wear ring for a SHO and file down the SVHO prop slightly by hand to fit everything you already have.This is because the SVHO prop is really not 160mm on the nose but rather ever so slightly larger in diameter.That prop is going to load the engine alot so be sure to start at a 13/18pitch with stock tail cone and 87ish nozzle
    I'm being told the water pickup issue can be resolved with a die grinder. Is a lot of grinding involved or is it pretty straight forward?

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    get a old damaged wear ring for your ski and send it to scat trac and have them install a 160 stainless wear ring then purchase a 160 prop your desired pitch and you are good to go (the water engine feed hole is still matched up). On a side note when going from 155 to 160 your 160 prop usually needs to be two less pitches than you were using on the 155 on the trailing edge to keep your max rpms close to the same. Tommy Jordan
    Tommy, I'm looking at a Solas Concord 13/18 intended for SVHO models as Kroozer suggested above, but I've read there's an issue mating it to my SHO stator. Apparently a spacer is needed? Where can I purchase one?

I'm starting to lean towards picking up Riva's 160mm wear ring/liner and mating it to my SHO stator since it's supposed to be a direct fit and pairing that with a 13/18 Concord, but I think that still leaves me with needing a spacer between the prop and my SHO stator?
    Last edited by pwc4life; 07-12-2020 at 03:19 PM.

you can buy the spacer for the prop here in the store. just place it behind the prop when you install the prop

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.daniel1990@gmail.co View Post
    you can buy the spacer for the prop here in the store. just place it behind the prop when you install the prop
    I have checked the entire Yamaha pump and handling section of the store and could not find it. I assume it was an R&D product that has been discontinued since they went out of business?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc4life View Post
    I'm being told the water pickup issue can be resolved with a die grinder. Is a lot of grinding involved or is it pretty straight forward?

Tommy, I'm looking at a Solas Concord 13/18 intended for SVHO models as Kroozer suggested above, but I've read there's an issue mating it to my SHO stator. Apparently a spacer is needed? Where can I purchase one?

I'm starting to lean towards picking up Riva's 160mm wear ring/liner and mating it to my SHO stator since it's supposed to be a direct fit and pairing that with a 13/18 Concord, but I think that still leaves me with needing a spacer between the prop and my SHO stator?
    I did not need one on my ski, 09 fzr, i just used the oem spacer , my prop does sit close to stator but the closer the prop is to the stator the better the pump pressure. Riva even offered a set back prop for gpr's years ago, (old school speed trick)

8. +1 by:

+1
    So I have done testing with this on my fzr. Hereís your options. You can do 2 things. You can use a 160 wear ring and find a older style skat that is ment for a sho with 160 conversion. I believe those props were sold by riva with a stage 3 kit. You canít slap a 160 svho prop on due to the prop offset. You can ďifĒ you run a spacer behind the prop but you will have issues later if itís not perfect. You will also need to take the transom plate off and bore it to match the wear ring cause there will be a step lip on it. Some people just use a angle grinder but I had a friend turn my in a lathe.

Now here is the more expensive option. Just buy a complete svho pump. If your looking for top speed then stay with the 155. You will have better results and a lot easier to just buy a prop. If you plan on a lot of holeshot runs then get finding whatever fits your budget.

Also keep in mind sho and svho pump staters are all 155mm. Sho also uses a 83mm Venturi and svho fzr uses a 85mm. Fx uses a 87mm. Why do I say this ? Cause that does make a huge Difference on the how the ski performs. Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me.

Thread Information