2011 VXS timing chain broke after 403 trouble free hours

Well, it finally happened after reading about it on the forum for many years. I was out riding and she shutdown. Pulled the valve cover and there it was, broken. I've looked for video's and such on how to pull the motor and replace the chain myself without success. Some say this engine is non interference and others say it is so that's an unknown as far as any valve damage goes. I suppose I could check for tappet clearance to see if the heads gotta come off. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Does anyone know of a step by step I can refer to??

+1
    What? Not another normally aspirated 1.8L broken timing chain! Check out this current thread:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=279157

+1
    I just noticed the part about "403 trouble free hours!" That's pretty good but it's still disappointing that the timing chain broke.

Here is a little older thread with a lot more information:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235175

Dang that crazy HO motors are tanks! I build and ton of these racing with the stock timing chain with no problems. If you decide to rebuild let me know, I have a ton brand new VRX parts available. I had an idea for an awesome project build before someone stole my ski.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTube_Monster View Post
    Dang that crazy HO motors are tanks! I build and ton of these racing with the stock timing chain with no problems. If you decide to rebuild let me know, I have a ton brand new VRX parts available. I had an idea for an awesome project build before someone stole my ski.
    Thanks, I may take you up on that. When I get more time I'm gonna dive into it. Don't know if I'm gonna pull the engine or go in through the front. Lot's of room up there. I'm researching how to time the cams properly using whatever marks are on the wheels. plus, I'm hoping the valves are good. May have to pull the head for a looksee.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    That sucks ... Traded my '11 in with 458 trouble free hours for my '16 VXR

+1
    To check the valves for being bent , use a cylinder leak checker (compressed air in each cyl. with valves closed) and see if any valves are bent, this way you will know it the head has to come off for bent valves,

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    To check the valves for being bent , use a cylinder leak checker (compressed air in each cyl. with valves closed) and see if any valves are bent, this way you will know it the head has to come off for bent valves,

good idea.

Just heads up I was looking at my block this weekend you may also want to look at crank and there is a boss there I could see get damaged when a cam chain breaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VXR Crank.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	464392  

Thread Information