Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

2018 FX Cruiser SVHO Using Oil?

Hi Everyone,

I used the standard Yamaha 4 stroke kit when I changed my oil last spring. Pretty sure itís for quarts and the oil level seems fine.

Fast forward to today and dummy light came on for a check engine oil. Engine temp was only running about 95.

Didnít really notice any pooling or leaking of oil under the engine so not sure where it is going. This is a stock engine with no modifications.

I just put 2 more quarts in and itís almost back to normal.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Average usage since middle of May and the Jetski.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Oil change was a few months ago or spring of 2019?

When did you last check oil level before the dash warning appeared?

Might want to check cylinder compression, just in case something has changed.

Do the spark tips plugs look normal?

+1
    K447,

Sadly, I hadnít checked since it I changed it in Fall of 2019. I realize I should have been checking it more frequently. Shame on me. Could have sworn it didnít use this much last year. Of course now I will be checking it much more frequently. I will pull the plugs and check the tips but has been running great.

It took 3 full qts to get it back to the normal on the dipstick. Iím really shocked itís used this much. The engine has been running at normal temperatures but of course it has not been getting proper lubrication. Iím very glad to have that dummy light and limit you to 4 mph all the way home when it happened today.

That Yamaha oil change kit is 4qts right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbywmu View Post
    ... That Yamaha oil change kit is 4qts ...?
    When I change oil and filter on my GP1800 SVHO it uses just about all of the YamaLube 4W 1 US gallon oil jug. Maybe a bit left over, or maybe I have to top it off with a bit from another bottle. Varies a little with each change.

I change the oil and filter every 50 running hours or every end-of-season, whichever comes first. Per the ownerís manual schedule.

+1
    check the water coming out of the oil cooler pisser exit (left side of ski) for possible oil mixed in the water, you might have a defective oil cooler .

+1

2fast,

I will check that for oil mixed with water. Would I be able tell even if the ski was in Neutral?

Iím guessing this is just using oil period. I obviously need to be checking it more and possibly adding mid season. I donít think Iím anywhere near 50 hrs.

If the cooler is a possible defect, would this still be covered under warranty? I did not purchase an additional one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbywmu View Post

I will check that for oil mixed with water. Would I be able tell even if the ski was in Neutral?

Iím guessing this is just using oil period. I obviously need to be checking it more and possibly adding mid season. I donít think Iím anywhere near 50 hrs.

If the oil cooler is a possible defect, would this still be covered under warranty? I did not purchase an additional one.
    Neutral is just the position of the reverse bucket. If the oil cooler is leaking oil into the cooling water flow, you should see an oily sheen on the water after riding long enough to warm the engine up. Idling in neutral on smooth water should be enough to see the oil slick.

There was a few years where the oil cooler design (stacked plates) was known to be defective, but that was changed as of 2017 for the SVHO, IIRC. Your 2018 SVHO engine would have the Ďbetterí oil cooler.

Have you had someone with thin arms reach WAY down under the engine center area and feel around for a puddle of oil? Also look around the back of the hull inside for signs of oil residue.

Sometimes one of the o-rings that seals the oil cooler transfer tubes to the engine, or seals the oil pump to the engine, can be accidentally torn during assembly. Sometimes it can be a while before the damaged o-ring fails entirely and begins leaking.

Regarding warranty coverage, the standard duration is one year from purchase, unless there was some offer at the time that extended the time. Any warranty claim would likely require full documentation of the oil changes and other maintenance done by the owner. Receipts, etc.

While you are in there checking things, make sure the oil filter is still snug and dry on the outside.

+1

K447,

Thanks so much. Is this normal to use that much oil during a standard season? I would guess this has less than 25hrs on it this year.

Will definitely be checking for oil slicks from the left side pee tube.

Also, I have noticed a little bit of oil on the bottom of the engine but not enough for 3 quarts to pool up and collect.....Nor have I seen any towards the back of the hull.

Is there an oil drain plug on the bottom of the engine that I could check? I guess even if I could itís almost impossible to get your hand down under there to do or see anything.

+1
    Hi All,

So I do have oil leaking somewhere, although I can't tell where it is coming from. I do see some in the bottom of the hull (not a ton, but there shouldn't be any). I'll have to investigate further once I take it out of the water tomorrow. I figured there HAD to be a leak. No way just 1/2 way through the season should I be losing/burning 3 qts of oil (since I just filled/changed late in the fall).

There is some residue on the filter and around it, so I checked and it's pretty tight. Didn't use a filter wrench to tighten it up more, I thought these were only supposed to be hand tight.

I'm probably going to have to take this in. If that oil pump is on the bottom of the engine it's impossible to get to..............not much room in that engine really. I'm not sure if it's that oil cooler either, I did not see any mixed coming from the left spitter. Don't think I have the patience or time to change an oil cooler or oil pump gasket out. Never done either before on a Yamaha 4 stroke and it sounds like a big job.

It's running great and the oil level is still perfect from when I added 2 days ago, but obviously there is an issue here that needs to be addressed.

+1
    This thread includes photos and how-to for removing the oil pump from SVHO engine (on GP1800). Done as part of replacing the SVHO clutch.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3063624

Oil cooler location also shown on the parts diagram.

I have removed the factory air box and the plastic engine cover, which does allow more working room around the engine.

All photos in above thread were taken with my iPhone. If you can get a camera down low enough, or use an inspection camera (borescope) you may be able to see where the oil is coming from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information