Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

+1
    K447,

Thanks so much! I do believe it is the oil pump seal. Now that I see the oil pump is in the front of the engine, there is a bit more oil pooled there. Ugh.

Very documented. Great job. I'm not sure if I want to take this one on............normally I would, but being that it is in the front of the engine, I see alot of blind areas to work in .

Wish I was still under warranty .

I'll keep you posted!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbywmu View Post
    ... I do believe it is the oil pump seal...

Note the orange o-ring in the photo. There are actually two, one at each end of the stubby round tube. If either of those o-rings is damaged there will be an oil leak.

The large flat gasket seal for the entire oil pump is a separate thing, and does not enclose/seal the tube with the dual orange o-ring seals.

I suggest purchasing a new oil pump gasket and at least two of the o-rings. It is possible to accidentally snag or damage the o-ring while reassembly the oil pump onto the engine.

IIRC the same o-rings are also used for the oil cooler, and there are four. You can cross check the Yamaha part numbers for the o-rings.

+1
    ... being that it is in the front of the engine, I see alot of blind areas to work in .

On my GP1800 the entire process to swap the supercharger clutch took maybe 3 hours, including pausing to take photos. If just doing the oil pump R&R it should take less time.

Access to front of the SVHO engine on GP1800 was not terrible, but I did use the camera to Ďseeí what I was doing, multiple times.

I already had removed the factory airbox, which normally crowds the front left area near the engine.

And the plastic engine cover is packed away in long term storage, which also makes it easier to inspect around the engine and do work.

+1
    K447,

It sounds like it is that oil pump seal. I checked the oil level again today, and its down again! Ugh. So frustrating. Thank's for all the helpful info. I don't know if I have the patience to swap the oil gasket myself. If this was on the side of the engine and I could see everything I was doing, I think I would have more confidence.

+1
    ... I checked the oil level again today, and its down again! Ugh. ...
    There must be quite a lot of oil pooled under the engine by now.

Consider using a couple of old tee shirts or similar, push it under the engine from the front, then use a paint stir stick or similar to push the cloth along under the engine. Then poke it left and right to Ďswabí the hull under the engine. Use a metal coat hanger to hook the cloth and drag it out. Then do the whole process again to soak up the oily remnants from under there.

When I did my SVHO clutch change I knew some oil was going to spill out when the oil pump was removed. So I laid several layers of cotton cloth (cut up tee shirts) under the engine and across the front area. Worked well, almost no spilled oil seeped through. Easy to wipe up the area afterwards.

+1

2018 FX Cruiser SVHO Using Oil?

K447,

Excellent idea about cleaning up the oil. There must be quite a bit. I tried sticking my hand down there as far as I could. Itís a tough fit and Iím not a big guy. Didnít get far enough under the engine though.

First dealer told me 6-8 days before they could look at it. Yikes! Trying another in the morning.

I would for sure try tackling this fix if I knew 100% that it was the oil pump seal. Of course it sounds like it to me, but I think Iíd feel safer taking it in to verify it for me. All the blind disassembly/reassembly scares me a bit. Itís the middle of the season and all these dealers are busy.....ugh

+1
    Hi All,

I just wanted to provide an update. After dropping the ski off on Sunday to a local marina, and realizing most places had 6-10 day wait times before they would even LOOk at the ski, I decided to go back yesterday morning and bring it back home. As K447 suggested, I removed the air box and tube that connects the airbox to the supercharger for a better view. I cleaned up all the pooled oil, and then added 2 more quarts of standard 10W-30 so as to get the oil level back up enough where I could try and figure out where it was leaking.

While running the ski with the hose attached, I noticed plenty of oil leaking from the oil filter!!! I must have not seen it last week. Its hard to view when the ski is in the water bouncing around from the waves, and with the sun sometimes its very hard to see things. I was SO relieved that it was the filter and not the oil pump! It was leaking out of the filter and running down the oil cooler.

Once I noticed the filter was leaking, I tried to tighten it with my filter wrench. I'd say 1/8 of a turn. It was pretty tight. Started running the ski again and it was still leaking. So, I went ahead and used my pump to drain ALL of the oil out of the engine, and removed the filter. Went to the marina to pick up another Yamaha Oil Change Kit. Changed Oil and filter, then ran the ski again to verify any leaks. All seems to be good now and NO leaks!!! Will run on the lake this afternoon to make sure everything is ok.

Upon inspecting the filter, the only thing I noticed was that the filter gasket seemed more loose than a new one.....almost as if the seal was narrower than the ring it sits in. Maybe this was why it wasn't sealing correctly? I'll attach a pic in here of the old filter. Maybe someone will notice something.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't tighten it enough last fall when I changed the oil...........then it never did make a correct seal, even after I tried re-tightening it yesterday.

Anyone ever had a leaking filter where they had to replace?

Needless to say I saved myself some major $$$ and riding time by not taking it to the dealer. So glad I did some further testing!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	464393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	464394  

+1
    gibby,

I always check my oil before heading to the water and then again once home.
    This way I’ll know if something isn’t right. Hopefully there’s no engine damage from running it so low, only time will tell. Good luck and keep your filter tight! Lol

Lake Lion
    +1
    The oil filter stud is loose. Tighten it with a big allen wrench.

+1
    Hi All,

Everything seems good to go now. Rode around for about 1hr on the lake yesterday. No leaks! Very relieved to know it was not the oil pump seal or oil cooler. I don't believe it was the oil filter stud. I think somehow that filter gasket was just bad. New filter took care of it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information