Aftermarket Tuner, voids Yamaha Warranty??

I searched a few threads and found what I already knew, such as if you have aftermarket engine internals its hard for them to turn down a warranty claim if your hull de-laminates or something (one thing not affecting the other).
    I am looking at buying a GP1800 SVHO, if I do just a Riva stage 1 its just the map tuner, If something were to go wrong with the engine obviously its a conflicting modification, is there a way to un-tune or put back the factory settings? Or is there always going to be some kind of trace that it was aftermarket tuned?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This has been covered many times.

You can select a tune from the Riva MaptunerX library that limits max RPM to 8000, thereby avoiding any ECU logging of ‘excessive’ RPM above that level.

I initially used the Riva Stage 1 (8000) tune in my own 2017 GP1800. Since changed to Stage 1 Plus, which can also be had with 8000 limit. One key point is to match the impeller to the tune (and hardware upgrades, if any) so that at wide open throttle the impeller load matches the engine power at just under or right around 8000.

The Riva system also allows you to restore the factory ECU tune at any time. If engine RPM has not exceeded the 8000 level then there is effectively no indication the tune was ever present. Upon return from the dealer you can reinstall the Riva tune.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This has been covered many times.

You can select a tune from the Riva MaptunerX library that limits max RPM to 8000, thereby avoiding any ECU logging of ‘excessive’ RPM above that level.

I initially used the Riva Stage 1 (8000) tune in my own 2017 GP1800. Since changed to Stage 1 Plus, which can also be had with 8000 limit. One key point is to match the impeller to the tune (and hardware upgrades, if any) so that at wide open throttle the impeller load matches the engine power at just under or right around 8000.

The Riva system also allows you to restore the factory ECU tune at any time. If engine RPM has not exceeded the 8000 level then there is effectively no indication the tune was ever present. Upon return from the dealer you can reinstall the Riva tune.
    Do you have the SVHO? If so do you know your GPS speeds at the two stages? I like the idea of getting the advertised 77mph with just the tune @ stage 1, real world I would be happy with 74. Just as long as its not the stock 68-68.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundaydriver View Post
    Do you have the SVHO? If so do you know your GPS speeds at the two stages? I like the idea of getting the advertised 77mph with just the tune @ stage 1, real world I would be happy with 74. Just as long as its not the stock 68-68.
    All 2017 and 2018 GP1800 are SVHO models.

GP1800R began in 2019 with the naming silliness of HO and SVHO versions.

Our GP1800 are configured more for rough water handling and tracking, not for top speed.

There are many threads posting speed results from GP1800 and GP1800R SVHO with a Stage 1 and Stage 1 Plus tunes. Results will vary depending on air and water temperatures, altitude, rider weight, etc.

Supporting changes such as aftermarket impeller, air intake, ribbon delete, will also affect the results.

If someone is allowing their tune to run above 8000RPM then their top speeds will generally be higher. 8300RPM is not uncommon with Stage 1 Plus configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Our GP1800 are configured more for rough water handling and tracking, not for top speed.
    What are you doing to make them better in rough water?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
    What are you doing to make them better in rough water?
    I have posted this info elsewhere on here, including photos.

Our 2017 GP1800 have extended Worx ride plate, with the Jim’s cut modification.

Also the 2019+ GP1800R intake grate, which I expect to soon change to Riva stainless steel scoop intake grate.p

Dean’s extended steering nozzle. Worx trim motor arm extension for more trim nozzle angle range.

Solas impeller.

CanDOOPro GPS accurate speedometer module. Factory paddle wheel speed sensor removed, block off plate installed in ride plate.

Some other upgrades and changes to solve, minimize or reduce risk of problems while far from shore.

Whale SS1212 bilge pump, direct wired to fused power with no external switches.

Deka ETX16L factory sealed AGM battery. Solid cranking power, highly vibration resistant, very tough, cannot leak acid, no external vent required.

Thread Information