Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for High Altitude Impeller for VXR

As I have previously posted I am trouble getting more that 6600 rpmís out of my stock 2019 VXR. The ski has about 10 hours on it now.
    Taking it to a second dealer to have it checked out in couple weeks which is another 400 mile trip each way. The tech said they would install a high altitude impeller if I bought one with ski.
    I am not having any luck with finding one in time.
    I see R&D had a Solas 14/16 that they recommended for stock VXR at 3000-5000 feet which would be perfect but unable to find one since theyíve been out of business for almost two years.
    I am hoping someone else has experience or know where I could get a similar pitched 14/16 impeller for VXR.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Zane

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps you could contact a Impros and ask them what they would recommend?

They may be able to repitch a Ďstandardí impeller from their inventory and ship it to you.

They may also know whether the RPM you are getting currently matches with their experience for high altitude operation with the factory impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Perhaps you could contact a Impros and ask them what they would recommend?

They may be able to repitch a ‘standard’ impeller from their inventory and ship it to you.

They may also know whether the RPM you are getting currently matches with their experience for high altitude operation with the factory impeller.
    Thanks once again K447. I called Impros and he recommended Solas CD 13/19 repitched to 13/17 which they had in stock.

He acted like the rpms I’m seeing for my elevation and conditions was fairly typical. He said this impeller should bring RPM’s up to about 7600.

I will update post once I’ve had a chance to ride it which might be a couple weeks.
    Thanks
    Zane
    Last edited by K447; 07-07-2020 at 03:47 PM.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WyoVXR View Post
    Thanks once again K447. I called Impros and he recommended Solas CD 13/19 repitched to 13/17 which they had in stock. He acted like the rpms I’m seeing for my elevation and conditions was fairly typical. He said this impeller should bring RPM’s up to about 7600.
    I will update post once I’ve had a chance to ride it which might be a couple weeks.
    Thanks
    Zane
    a two pitch change on the trailing edge should give you 300 to 350 more rpms. Do you think this 300+ rpms will be enough for you? what is your max rpms you have now at full throttle on smooth water and what rpms do you want to get to? Tommy Jordan

+1
    ... I called Impros and he recommended Solas CD 13/19 repitched to 13/17 which they had in stock. ...

I will update post once Iíve had a chance to ride it which might be a couple weeks.
    Do you have the tools to remove the old impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    a two pitch change on the trailing edge should give you 300 to 350 more rpms. Do you think this 300+ rpms will be enough for you? what is your max rpms you have now at full throttle on smooth water and what rpms do you want to get to? Tommy Jordan
    Itís only running 6600-6800 rpms with light chop since thatís the best conditions Iíve been able to ride in. My wifeís 2016 VXR turns about 7000 in same conditions ( 3600 ft elevation and temp in 80ís) I asked the same question about only two pitch change and he assured me it would run close to 7500 rpms. I hope it works as it already shipped.
    Thanks Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do you have the tools to remove the old impeller?
    No I don’t have the tools. If it was a snowmobile I would have had it figured out right away as Yamaha gives clutching and hearing tables for varies elevation.
    Im having a second dealer who is 400 miles away checking it out to make sure there’s nothing wrong as it only has about 10 hours on it and it’s still under warranty. I asked the tech if I had a re-pitched impeller if he would put it in for me and he said he would but of course at my cost.
    He mentioned that they had a 2019 VXR last season that had bad throttle body but seems like that would be very unusual. Also he’s going to check fuel pressure too as they’ve seen new Yamaha atvs with low output fuel pumps.
    I’m not hopeful so that’s why I wanted to try a reduced pitch impeller.
    Thanks once again. I do appreciate your questions and help.
    Zane

+1
    Based on the information you have posted I bet the 17 will fall short on reaching 7500 to 7600 rpms. A 16 pitch will be closer to meeting your desired final max rpms. Please post your final pitch number and what the results are, Thanks, Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Based on the information you have posted I bet the 17 will fall short on reaching 7500 to 7600 rpms. A 16 pitch will be closer to meeting your desired final max rpms. Please post your final pitch number and what the results are, Thanks, Tommy Jordan
    I agree. I tried to find a R&D 14/16 Solas which they listed as working specifically for stock machine at 3000-5000 feet elevation but of course theyíve been out of business almost 2 years.
    Iím hoping I can get 7200-7400 rpms at least.
    Do you think there would be any rpms benefit to replacing stock air filter with K&N replacement?
    Thanks again Tommy,
    Zane

+1
    ... any rpms benefit to replacing stock air filter with ... ?
    As a test, you can disconnect the factory airbox from the engine and do a comparison test ride, with no air filter at all.

I suspect you will not find much improvement.

That said, IIRC if the factory air filter material looks warped or been wet, it can become restrictive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information