Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    As a test, you can disconnect the factory airbox from the engine and do a comparison test ride, with no air filter at all.

I suspect you will not find much improvement.

That said, IIRC if the factory air filter material looks warped or been wet, it can become restrictive.
    I did check air filter and it looked good. I will try disconnecting air box and test it to see if it improves.
    I will definitely update this post after I have chance to ride it which will be couple weeks at least.
    Thanks once again
    Zane

2. +1 by:

Looking forward to hearing about your results. I am in Colorado and also considering an impeller change for new EXR. Quick question for this group about changing impeller pitch: what is the trade off of changing pitch for high altitude use? Does it reduce initial acceleration?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    Looking forward to hearing about your results. I am in Colorado and also considering an impeller change for new EXR. Quick question for this group about changing impeller pitch: what is the trade off of changing pitch for high altitude use? Does it reduce initial acceleration?
    Reducing the prop pitch INCREASES acceleration and top engine rpms, this is a must do for higher elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Reducing the prop pitch INCREASES acceleration and top engine rpms, this is a must do for higher elevations.

So what is the trade off? And if none, why isnít this also done for lower elevation applications?

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    So what is the trade off? And if none, why isn’t this also done for lower elevation applications?
    Its about hitting target rpm. The trade off is spinning too high of rpm and running into the stock tune limiter at 7898 rpm on stock tune 1.8 NA motor and it slowing you down worse than being a ways below limiter. You want to stay 100-150 rpm below so have a little wiggle room with riding conditions so would target ~7750-7800 on stock tune 1.8 NA.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
    Its about hitting target rpm. The trade off is spinning too high of rpm and running into the stock tune limiter at 7898 rpm on stock tune 1.8 NA motor and it slowing you down worse than being a ways below limiter. You want to stay 100-150 rpm below so have a little wiggle room with riding conditions so would target ~7750-7800 on stock tune 1.8 NA.
    100% correct information here! also here is a good post I did 10 years ago. Man where have the years gone! http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135520

Thanks all. That makes sense. Appreciate the help!

The second dealer was unable to find anything wrong which I’m not surprised. I had them install Solas 13/17 impeller which was re-pitched from 13/19. I’m hoping it’s enough to bring RPMs up to at least 7200.
    I am kind of wishing I had gotten 11/15 but I’ll try this and hope. The mechanic did suggest as others on here as well to remove back small seat and storage box to see if it runs more rpms or not.
    Thanks for everyone’s ideas and help and I’ll update again once I get to ride it which will probably be next weekend.
    Zane

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WyoVXR View Post
    The second dealer was unable to find anything wrong which I’m not surprised. I had them install Solas 13/17 impeller which was re-pitched from 13/19. I’m hoping it’s enough to bring RPMs up to at least 7200.
    I am kind of wishing I had gotten 11/15 but I’ll try this and hope. The mechanic did suggest as others on here as well to remove back small seat and storage box to see if it runs more rpms or not.
    Thanks for everyone’s ideas and help and I’ll update again once I get to ride it which will probably be next weekend.
    Zane
    good luck you are on the right track for sure , keep us posted TommyJordan

The 13/17 Solas impeller increased the RPMS to 7000 which is about 400 better than before. It now runs right with my wife’s 2016 VXR.
    I had emailed Riva about what they would suggest and got reply couple weeks ago after I got the 13/17. They suggested 11/15 which I’m thinking would probably be about right.
    I assume I could have the stock impeller repitched to about 13/15 or would there be an advantage to to buy the new 11/15? Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thsnks again for all the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information