Triton Elite WC II w/new axle. Question...

I bought a Triton Elite WC II that needed a new torsion axle. Everything else was perfect. I just installed the new axle and hubs, but I wanted to know if I can remove the zerk fitting and install Bearing Buddies.
    New axle is a "Tie Down 46318" made by Dexter. 3,500 lb torsion. The hubs are Big Tex.

Axle Type: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" Square - Galvanized Torsion Axle
    Load Rating: 3500 lbs.
    Overall Length: 98" End of Spindle to End of Spindle
    Mounting Bracket Center: 77"
    Brake Flange to Brake Flange: 86"
    Hub Face: 92"
    Hub Type: 5 bolt - 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" (Hubs and bearings not included)
    Camber: 1° Per Side Welded at Spindles
    Torsion Arm: Set at 45°

Brand Dexter Marine
    Manufacturer Part Number 46318
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7125247_xl.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	464114  

+1
    You will need to look at the back of the torsion arm. My old Triton had the EZ-lube hubs and the back of the torsion arm had a hole in it so the grease would flow through the hub and out the back of the torsion arm. If your torsion arms has these holes then it would need to be closed (welded ?) shut. If there is no hole I see no reason why you could not use the bearing buddies.

+1
    I just got to really thinking about this. Even if you have the holes in the back of the torsion arm, you can still use the bearing buddy, I am just not sure how well they would hold grease. The bearing buddy works on the principle of pressure and with the holes in the torsion arm I do not know how well the bearing buddy will hold grease. But that all depends on if the torsion arm has holes in the back.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
    ... Triton Elite WC II that needed a new torsion axle.

... just installed the new axle and hubs, but I wanted to know if I can remove the zerk fitting and install Bearing Buddies.
    New axle is a "Tie Down 46318" made by Dexter. 3,500 lb torsion. The hubs are Big Tex.

Axle Type: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" Square - Galvanized Torsion Axle
    Load Rating: 3500 lbs.
    Overall Length: 98" End of Spindle to End of Spindle
    Mounting Bracket Center: 77"
    Brake Flange to Brake Flange: 86"
    Hub Face: 92"
    Hub Type: 5 bolt - 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" (Hubs and bearings not included)
    Camber: 1° Per Side Welded at Spindles
    Torsion Arm: Set at 45°

Brand Dexter Marine
    Manufacturer Part Number 46318
    Which grease system does the axle (zerk fitting) have?
    Where does the ‘old’ grease exit when fresh grease is pumped in?

Some torsion axles dump the old grease out the back side of the swing arm through a weep hole.
    Others flow the old grease back out the front side where the axle nut is.

The Dexter web site says “Standard grease lubrication; E-Z LUBE® option

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I just got to really thinking about this. Even if you have the holes in the back of the torsion arm, you can still use the bearing buddy, I am just not sure how well they would hold grease. The bearing buddy works on the principle of pressure and with the holes in the torsion arm I do not know how well the bearing buddy will hold grease. But that all depends on if the torsion arm has holes in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Some torsion axles dump the old grease out the back side of the swing arm through a weep hole.

Thanks guys. I checked the backside of my spindles. They are the E-Z Lube set up that sends the old grease through the backside. I like the bearing buddies, but without sealing that hole the grease would just pump out the back. Maybe I can close it with another zerk instead of welding it. I like that the bearing buddies keep constant pressure in the hub and keeps the water out that way.

+1
    Thanks guys. I checked the backside of my spindles. They are the E-Z Lube set up that sends the old grease through the backside. I like the bearing buddies, but without sealing that hole the grease would just pump out the back. Maybe I can close it with another zerk instead of welding it. I like that the bearing buddies keep constant pressure in the hub and keeps the water out that way.
    I thought about trying to put a zerk on the back side. Good luck. Let us know if you go that route if it works.

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... the backside of my spindles. They are the E-Z Lube set up that sends the old grease through the backside.

I like the bearing buddies, but without sealing that hole the grease would just pump out the back. Maybe I can close it with another zerk instead of welding it.

I like that the bearing buddies keep constant pressure in the hub and keeps the water out that way.
    I tried Bearing Buddies on my previous Triton with EZ-Lube weep hole. The grease quickly oozed out the weep hole as soon as enough grease was pumped in to pressurize the bearing buddy spring.

Eventually I changed to a different axle with Sure-Lube grease system, which does not have a weep hole. I can now ‘change’ the grease by pumping in fresh grease via the axle zerk fitting, and then (re)install the bearing buddies ‘over top’ of the axle end. So the bearing buddies do their thing with grease pressure, and when I want to change the grease I remove the bearing buddy and regrease.

When you ordered your axle you may have had the option to choose a different grease system.

If you install a zerk or other ‘plug’ in the backside weep hole then you can remove it when you want to pump fresh grease through.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post

I tried Bearing Buddies on my previous Triton with EZ-Lube weep hole. The grease quickly oozed out the weep hole as soon as enough grease was pumped in to pressurize the bearing buddy spring.

Eventually I changed to a different axle with Sure-Lube grease system, which does not have a weep hole. I can now ‘change’ the grease by pumping in fresh grease via the axle zerk fitting, and then (re)install the bearing buddies ‘over top’ of the axle end. So the bearing buddies do their thing with grease pressure, and when I want to change the grease I remove the bearing buddy and regrease.

When you ordered your axle you may have had the option to choose a different grease system.

If you install a zerk or other ‘plug’ in the backside weep hole then you can remove it when you want to pump fresh grease through.
    It was a bear finding an axle for some reason. I was lucky to get the one I did and be able to pick it up. Hopefully I won't need to go through that again for a good long time... I was thinking the same thing about pulling the zerk on the backside if I needed to.

Thread Information