Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How good of a ski is the 2010 STX15F? Looking to buy one

I have been in the market for a couple of skis and found 2 from different sellers. One is a 2010 15f with 84hours on it and always got regular servicing. The other is a 2010 with only 14 hours on it but it has been sitting in covered storage for 8 years. The battery is dead obviously and the guy is draining the old gas out today to make sure it runs.

How good are these skis? Any major problems or weak spots? If they are running healthy on the water what kind of top speed should they be pulling? On the ski that has sat for 8 years with 14 hrs, is it okay to test run it for a short bit on the lake without changing the oil and filter first? Do the fuel systems gum up?

+1
    The fuel systems gum up on anything.

Here's a picture of the fuel pump from my -15F that also sat for 8 years without being run:

When was the last time the 84-hour 'Ski was used? I'd probably go with that.

I got two STXs running after sitting 8 years. It took about 6 hours to clean the fuel tanks on each, plus replacement of the fuel pumps, plus cleaning of the injectors, plus cleaning of the fuel filters. Total of about 12-15 hours per 'Ski to clean out the fuel systems.

If you go look at the 12-hour 'Ski, print this post and take it with you for bargaining power. If you have an inspection camera with a 3 foot cord, take that and look inside the tank. You may have to remove the filler hose to get inside at the best angle to see anything.

Good 'Skis! I think they'll do about 60 MPH. Stable, hard to flip, lousy storage compartment, but that's about the only drawback. I believe it uses the same exhaust manifold as the Ultra LX that had corrosion problems. Two bearing jet pump in the 2010 models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STX-15F Fuel Pump.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	464120  

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The fuel systems gum up on anything.

Here's a picture of the fuel pump from my -15F that also sat for 8 years without being run:

When was the last time the 84-hour 'Ski was used? I'd probably go with that.

I got two STXs running after sitting 8 years. It took about 6 hours to clean the fuel tanks on each, plus replacement of the fuel pumps, plus cleaning of the injectors, plus cleaning of the fuel filters. Total of about 12-15 hours per 'Ski to clean out the fuel systems.

If you go look at the 12-hour 'Ski, print this post and take it with you for bargaining power. If you have an inspection camera with a 3 foot cord, take that and look inside the tank. You may have to remove the filler hose to get inside at the best angle to see anything.

Good 'Skis! I think they'll do about 60 MPH. Stable, hard to flip, lousy storage compartment, but that's about the only drawback. I believe it uses the same exhaust manifold as the Ultra LX that had corrosion problems. Two bearing jet pump in the 2010 models.

Are the pump bearings prone to failure? Also can the bearings be upgraded to a better design? I am going to make him water test the 14 hour ski to proove it runs. The 84 hour ski was run just a few weeks ago.

Also the 14 hour one that has sat for a long time is 4700 with trailer. the 84 hour one with trailer is $3400. I am not opposed to buying both but also wanted experts to assess my value?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the book value (KBB) on a 2010 is $4585

that means it needs NOTHING except some fuel and a quick wipe down with a wet rag to run all day long. Sitting for a long time damages the value, considerably in my book

The low hours mean that the owner lost interest, nothing more. People think that's a great selling point. It is, but only for Chinese surplus ak47's that have been sitting in cosmoline for 40 years

I'd suggest having a ski shop do a compression test and a pump inspection assuming the ski runs and doesn't have a fuel system like steve's dock sitters. A full inspection can run as much as $150 but well worth it since you come back with bargaining power, assuming the owner doesn't balk at the though of having the ski checked over by a pro. My bet is he will.

I picked up a 40 hr. 15f 2 seasons ago for $200 with a trailer that sat, had a fuel system worse then steves and a stuck/broken piston ring. Cosmetically perfect in every way, so I am planning on doing some remedial work on it this winter.

engines for those skis are rare to find and pricey, you want to be dead sure it runs good before plunking down book value, even during the middle of the season.

for a couple of thousand more you could pick up a BRAND NEW 15f with a warranty.

If your credit is good, I'd look into that option, put the 4k down, make the payments and toss $75 into a kitty for each hour your run it and it will be paid for in no time

and no worries about a damm thing. The 15f is the f-150 of pwc's ( by the way I drive a 91 f-150 with over 225k miles on it.)

+1
    Checkout my build thread in the projects section. I started with a junk/salvaged 2010 15f.

+1
    Actually, it's fairly easy to visually inspect the fuel tank on that model, IF the seller will let you. Remove the glove box (Phillips head screws) then you have direct access to the fuel pump. Remove the plugs, hoses, and the big clamp and the pump comes right out.

Of course, I'd be surprised if the seller will let you disassemble it, but it's worth asking.

So the guy got a battery in it and put fresh gas and it finally started after cranking it for about 5-7 seconds. It did run ok I guess but the oil warning light went off right away and killed it. What could this be?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    oil filter improperly installed most likely. It's pretty much a blind install so if you are sloppy, you can punt it.

reach in around the dipstick to feel if the filter isn't actually tight, or better, use an inspection camera.

not checking for the gasket getting stuck on the block is a classic, so is not lubing the filter o-ring. both can lead to leaks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    oil filter improperly installed most likely. It's pretty much a blind install so if you are sloppy, you can punt it.

reach in around the dipstick to feel if the filter isn't actually tight, or better, use an inspection camera.

not checking for the gasket getting stuck on the block is a classic, so is not lubing the filter o-ring. both can lead to leaks

I think this is the original oil and filter from the dealer in 2010 since it only has 14 hours. Doubt it is that. The oil looked light brown and clean though he sent a pic. Is it okay to start for 10 seconds like he did or does a ful oil change need to happen first before running it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information