Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

+1
    My project is starting to pickup speed now... it would move faster if I hadn't picked up a temporary boat.. fiberglass relocation/mods are coming to a close.. got to get the ATL fuel cell on order and get to work on the real engines not this dead mockup slug... i don't seem to be able to post pics/pic links over here...

+1
    Oh dang, I didnít realize you were going to have to get a whole new fuel tank. Swapping the motors into an LS2000 looks way more complex than the XR. Thatíll be a fun boat once itís finished!

+1

XR1800 160hp MR1 Conversion

So a little bit of bad news. After playing around with the three watching lights on the tachometer, and wiring them back to the ECU, I donít think there is any way to get the ECU trigger those warning lights. Even though pins 23, 24, and 25 are unused on the jetski ECU, I was hoping theyíd at least still be active so that I could connect to them for the low-oil, overheat, and check engine lights on the tach.

The XR has its own stock warning lights on the dash (independent of the warning lights on the tach): two overheat lights (starboard and port), low fuel, and one low oil light intended for monitoring the 2-stroke oil tank (which is no longer there). I spliced the XRís stock overheat lights directly into the thermoswitches of the MR1s. Tach warning lights are wired back to the outputs on the ECU. I simulated an overheat condition by disconnecting a connector from the thermoswitch and jumping the connector. As expected, the stock XR overheat light triggered immediately, but the overheat light on the tach never lit up.

So as it stands now, I donít see any way that I can monitor for a check engine light while Iím on the water. For low oil, I can probably repurpose the XRís warning light for low 2-stroke oil. I would have to wire it up in such a way that either motor could set off the light. I wouldnít know which motor had the low oil condition, but at least it will alert me to knowing thereís a problem.

+1
    So over the weekend I figured out my throttle cable situation. At least temporarily. I bought the Dorman 03336 throttle stops from AutoZone and used the smallest 1/8" stops in the assortment. I cut the end of my throttle cables off with my Dremel, and then had to drill out slightly larger the holes in the throttle stops in order for the cable to thread through. Cut off the excess cable poking through the other end of the throttle stop, and hooked it up to the MR1 throttlebodies. Not sure that this will be a permanent solution, but now at least I could start the motor and blip the throttle. Nice to hear that sport bike sound, makes me miss my Yamaha R6 that I rode through college.

So the stock throttle levers now only use about half of the throw when hooked to the MR1 motors. I had a couple minutes of free time, so I pulled out the shifter/throttle lever assembly and I think I can move the throttle cables to different hole that is closer to the center of the rotating lever so that the throttle cable moves less. I didn't get to study it very closely, but it might be possible to move the throttle cable to a different hole that results in utilizing more (maybe all?) of the throttle throw.

Also, I ordered some additional 3-way electrical connectors so that I can extend the data ports from each engine wiring harness in the engine bay, to underneath the steering wheel. It will be nice to be able to sit in the captain's chair and be able to use the Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS) on my laptop, instead of having to pop the engine hatch and remove the tray in order to plug YDS in. I'm going to plug into the existing connector on the wiring harness, run the wires to underneath the steering wheel, attach the mating connector, and zip-tie out of the way under the steering wheel and cap it with a blanked off connector. Will be much like the OBD2 ports in most cars under the steering wheel.

Corsa Technic has been an awesome resource for finding OEM connectors for this project: https://www.corsa-technic.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorman 03336.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	480071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HW-S3 Connectors.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	480072  

+1
    hows your project coming?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
    Ö extend the data ports from each engine wiring harness in the engine bay, to underneath the steering wheel.

Ö plug into the existing connector on the wiring harness, run the wires to underneath the steering wheel, attach the mating connector Ö

Ö
    How long a cable run will that be?

Wondering if there is an electrical signal concern, such as using twisted pair wiring, or wires with a specified impedance, when running those signals signal over distance. I have no idea what the OEM boat boat wire harness does (for boats that came with those engines?), if they even extended those signals to the helm.

+1

XR1800 160hp MR1 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How long a cable run will that be?

Wondering if there is an electrical signal concern, such as using twisted pair wiring, or wires with a specified impedance, when running those signals signal over distance. I have no idea what the OEM boat boat wire harness does (for boats that came with those engines?), if they even extended those signals to the helm.
    Yeah, I thought about that. Itíll probably be an 8-10ft run. Thatís why Iím going to use those additional plugs I bought to plug my 8ft run into the existing harness, instead of splicing and making the jetski harness longer. So if it doesnít work, Iíll just unplug my 8ft run and plug YDS into the original port on the jetski harness.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rzv500r View Post
    hows your project coming?
    Not much progress from the last time I posted. Been caught up with some projects around the house. Itís also getting colder here and my boat is stored outside under a cover.

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment - 2021-11-10T152916.413.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	480474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment - 2021-11-10T152927.413.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	480475  

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information