Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

+1
    Woke up early this morning and made some more progress. Starboard exhaust is hooked up, port engine airbox is installed, ground wires ran from motors to negative battery terminal.

Waiting on some parts to arrive to complete my fuel pump build.

Some progress shots from this morning. Who sees the electrical connector I forgot to hookup?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	478785

Name:	IMG_1973.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	478786

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	478787

Name:	IMG_1971.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	478788

Name:	IMG_1970.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	478789

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	478790

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	478791

great idea

+1
    Had some parts showed up today, and I built my fuel pump assembly. Might look a little janky having the fuel pumps clamped to the sending unit like that, but I didnít have a better way to attach them.

I sleeved the wires with 4mm PTFE tubing that I bought off Amazon. I have a fear of the wiring insulation degrading, and causing a spark inside the fuel tank.

I donít plan on reusing the stock plastic shroud that went around the sending unit. Iím not really sure what itís purpose is? Only thing I can figure is to keep the fuel from sloshing around the sending unit, causing big swings on the fuel gauge. With both fuel pumps attached, the sending unit no longer fits inside that shroud.

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	478854

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	478855

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	478856

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	478857

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	478858

Name:	IMG_1981.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	478859

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	478860

+1
    Fuel pump assembly is installed back in the gas tank. Fuel lines are hooked up, electrical is hooked up to the fuel pumps. No gas in the fuel tank currently, itís 100% empty.

When I crank the port motor, the fuel pump primes. When I crank the starboard motor, fuel pump does not prime. It was late, so I didnít start troubleshooting the issue. Trying to track my brain on what I couldíve forgotten to hook up.

Will check fuses first, and if they all check out good, Iíll supply power directly to the fuel pump to make sure it works. If that test passes, Iíll hook up my laptop with YDS software to the motor to see if that tells me anything.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
    Ö I donít plan on reusing the stock plastic shroud that went around the sending unit. Iím not really sure what itís purpose is?
    Ö
    I am not familiar with your particular sending unit design.

On another brand watercraft the fuel return flow went into the hollow body of the sending unit. The fuel pump motor inlet was near the bottom, inside the hollow shell. Below that was a one-way flow valve that allowed liquid fuel from the main tank to flow into the body but not flow out.

When the main fuel level was getting lower the return fuel flow would keep the hollow body Ďfullí despite the average fuel level in the main tank being lower. When fuel sloshed away from the fuel body valve the fuel pump was still submerged in fuel inside the hollow container. When the fuel sloshed back towards it would push past the valve and flow to the inside.

In this manner the fuel pump motor inlet was in Ďdeepí fuel even as the main tank emptied and sloshed around.

The actual fuel level sender arm and float was on the outside, measuring the main tank fuel level.

+1

XR1800 160hp MR1 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am not familiar with your particular sending unit design.

On another brand watercraft the fuel return flow went into the hollow body of the sending unit. The fuel pump motor inlet was near the bottom, inside the hollow shell. Below that was a one-way flow valve that allowed liquid fuel from the main tank to flow into the body but not flow out.

When the main fuel level was getting lower the return fuel flow would keep the hollow body Ďfullí despite the average fuel level in the main tank being lower. When fuel sloshed away from the fuel body valve the fuel pump was still submerged in fuel inside the hollow container. When the fuel sloshed back towards it would push past the valve and flow to the inside.

In this manner the fuel pump motor inlet was in Ďdeepí fuel even as the main tank emptied and sloshed around.

The actual fuel level sender arm and float was on the outside, measuring the main tank fuel level.
    The MR-1 fuel pumps are return-less.

Thereís no ďarmĒ for the boat sending unit. The float is inside the sending unit that rides up and down on a rail, if I recall. Thereís a magnet that sometimes falls off, causing the gauge to read Empty. Itís a common issue, and following one of the guides on another forum, I repaired the issue.
    Last edited by Robb235; 09-28-2021 at 06:17 AM.

+1
    Just kidding, the fuel pump is actually good! Turns out I had a bad electrical connection.

+1

Ok, so starboard motor fuel pump is good, but the motor no longer turns over. Not sure what happened since it turned over before. Turn the key and now thereís no sign of life, except that the fuel pump primes each time I attempt to crank the motor. YDS revealed nothing interesting. Lanyard is in, verified by YDS, so itís not a kill switch issue.

Put gas in the fuel tank, port motor cranks right up. Video below.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://youtube.com/shorts/uSZcrZIBbKo?feature=share[/URL]

+1

Still not sure why starboard motor doesnít want to turn over with the key any more. In the computer box, I can jump the Battery and Starter terminals with a screwdriver and cause the starter to crank. But I canít get the key to crank the starter.

To verify there wasnít something wrong with the key switch, I swapped electrical connections so that right key was hooked to the left motor, and left key hooked to right motor. No change, right (starboard) motor still wouldnít turn over. Port motor cranks just fine.

Iím starting to think itís an issue with this stupid Yamaha remote security system that the waverunners came with.

+1

Turned out to be an issue with the stupid remote security system. I didnít have it 100% bypassed, but after studying the wiring diagram from the service manual, now I do. Iím able to ditch the security boxes completely, and the motors start and run just fine. Iíve got it where IGNITION ON wakes up the ECU and the fuel pump primes.

Next thing to do is figure out my throttle cable situation. Too bad Iím getting this engine swap wrapped up in October, and wonít get to enjoy it until next season.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information