Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Here is the page from the LS2000 (non pv engine) tach wiring

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...age=127#manual

This shows how it derives tacho from the stator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    ]On the gauge... basically you can't without reverse engineering the FXHO gauge protocol and doing some programming to read the data stream and output what you need. Its way down my list of things to do (I have an exciter 220 and plan to do vx110 swaps, same protocol).

On the yamaha jet boats I have worked with, the tachometer signal comes from the stator, pre rectifier. Its a 12 pole stator (common on outboards) and provides a stable signal separate from the ignition system. Unfortunately a MR1 engine has an 18 pole stator so tapping this won't work. The only option to use that tachometer with a MR1 is A) something to digitally create a tach signal from the serial protocol going to the OEM gauge (you are gonna need to learn coding, and some embedded systems stuff) or B) a pickup which simulates a 12 pole stator on the pto coupler or something.

The next option is to get rid of those tachs and use something that can accept a more reasonable signal for the option B above. Or something that can accept a signal off of one coil.
    What? Lol, I'm not doing any of that. I guess I'm confused on why tachs out of an AR230 HO won't work with the same computer/engine combination from the same boat? I realize these engines/computers actually came from jet skis, but surely Yamaha didn't make that much of a change between applications? I'm not an electrical wizard at all, but why can't I take the tachometer pulse line coming off the MR1 wiring harness, and connect it to the tachometers that the MR1 boats had?

I would personally mount the clusters in the engine bay and run the buzzers up to the console area. This way you get notification of an issue. You could probably use the buzzer output to illuminate the gauge indicator if desired. Put a resistor in the fuel gauge plug so it reads full on the clusters and doesn't beep all the time.
    That's the plan for now. Good idea on having the gauge cluster light up too along with the buzzer. I may do that.

On the injector issue, you may have clogged injectors. Pull one out of the rail and see if you have a fuel on top of the injector. If the machine sat for any length of time this could be the issue.
    I definitely think the chances are extremely high that the injectors are stuck / clogged / frozen. The skis sat around for years unused. They have less than 40 hours on them. The smell of the old gas in the fuel tanks was absolutely putrid. The stock fuel pumps in the jet ski fuel tanks were corroded beyond recognition, so I'm sure the injectors are probably in similar shape on the inside. At ~$200 a pop, I'm not looking forward to replacing them if that's what has to happen.

On the single pump thing, I wouldn't do it because even a slightly leaky injector could cause a non running engine to fill with fuel. Lots of reason you might try to limp back to the dock on one engine (obstructed pump, split cooling hose on one engine, low oil on one engine and dont wanna blow it up by running it, or even a leaking fuel line/rail/whatever). But as long as you are okay with the tradeoff and understand the issues there then let it ride.
    That's a good thought. Maybe I add shut off valves for each engine, similar to the water lines that have to be clamped if running only on one motor.

Duh. I read it twice and still somehow missed the ar230 tach. I was off in LS2000/Exciter land. lol.

I agree something is weird with the three wires for indicators on those ar230 tachs. my guess is the ar230 ecus have dedicated pins to allow use of those tachs. the part number for the ecu is different from a fxho and the electrical is different a bit. Its possible the boat ECUs do not have the data bus the ski has for gauges at all.

Throw the throttle bodies off the runner on the non runner and see what goes.

Oh there isnt a tachometer signal on the fxho mr1. That square three wire connector with red, white and black in the, the white wire is a serial data line. So the ecu sends data including rpm and warnings to the cluster through that wire.

+1
    I soaked my injectors in Seafoam yesterday. Then I back flushed them using a giant syringe (intended for mixing 2-stroke oil), and a 9 volt battery to cycle the injector. I was able to push Seafoam through 3 of 4 the 4 injectors. Wasnít able to get the last injector to flow.

Iím going to box these injectors up and send them off to Witch Hunter to clean and balance them.

While thatís happening, Iím going to swap the injectors from Engine #1 into Engine #2 to see if I can get it to fire up.

+1
    Duh. I read it twice and still somehow missed the ar230 tach. I was off in LS2000/Exciter land. lol.

I agree something is weird with the three wires for indicators on those ar230 tachs. my guess is the ar230 ecus have dedicated pins to allow use of those tachs. the part number for the ecu is different from a fxho and the electrical is different a bit. Its possible the boat ECUs do not have the data bus the ski has for gauges at all.

Throw the throttle bodies off the runner on the non runner and see what goes.

Oh there isnt a tachometer signal on the fxho mr1. That square three wire connector with red, white and black in the, the white wire is a serial data line. So the ecu sends data including rpm and warnings to the cluster through that wire.
    I was hoping it was as simple as tapping the ďTacho PulseĒ as shown on this diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	472453

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
    I soaked my injectors in Seafoam yesterday. Then I back flushed them using a giant syringe (intended for mixing 2-stroke oil), and a 9 volt battery to cycle the injector. I was able to push Seafoam through 3 of 4 the 4 injectors. Wasnít able to get the last injector to flow.

Iím going to box these injectors up and send them off to Witch Hunter to clean and balance them.

While thatís happening, Iím going to swap the injectors from Engine #1 into Engine #2 to see if I can get it to fire up.
    I replied to this yesterday, but again for some reason, my response didn't post. Oh, well. I used lacquer thinner to clean the injectors on several JetSkis and it worked great.

NOTE: I guess my original post did work--on the other website. I presume that's you with another screen name or else somebody else is doing the exact same thing and having the exact same problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I replied to this yesterday, but again for some reason, my response didn't post. Oh, well. I used lacquer thinner to clean the injectors on several JetSkis and it worked great.

NOTE: I guess my original post did work--on the other website. I presume that's you with another screen name or else somebody else is doing the exact same thing and having the exact same problem.
    Fairly sure its him over there...I've got a different user name there as well (dabomb6608 ) and have just been watching that thread as opposed to this one.

+1
    Yeah, itís me. Same username on both forums.

+1

XR1800 160hp MR1 Conversion

Engine #2 starting up (with Engine #1ís throttle bodies and injectors)

https://youtube.com/shorts/RyKF1MVzJdM

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information