Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Nice work so far. I would love to grab a single eng 135hp exciter n do a sho swap.

+1
    Spent some time this weekend building my fuel pump assembly to accommodate the MR1s fuel injection system.

I slid the fuel pump down a little bit further after I snapped the pictures.

I have a diode installed at the top of my assembly so that either engine can activate the fuel pump. I followed this thread as a guide: http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/vi...ilit=rectifier

Not pictured: The dual port fuel pressure regulator. The F feed port will go to the regulator. Unused fuel goes from the regulator back to the tank via the R return port. What I havent figured out yet is where to mount the fuel pressure regulator. Ideally Id like to mount it under the seat on top of the fuel tank so that I could easily check the fuel pressure gauge. But its not quite fitting there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	465280

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	465281

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	465282

Name:	IMG_1248.jpg 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	465283

+1
    Good progress. Not familiar with the fuel setup on XR1800 vs my LS2000 but I would think it would be most effective to place the fuel pressure regulator on the forward wall were the fuel line come through from the tank? Gives you a surface to mount securely too and is out of the way.

In my experience seeing fuel pressure isn't critical until something is amiss and then you probably already have the engine compartment opened up anyways. Removing the rear seat bottoms to access the tank and fuel pressure gauge seems like extra hassle to me. Maybe yours remove easier than mine.

I've had a itch to do a 4 stroke conversion in my LS2000 since I bought it. I have it planned out for the most part but finding good 4 stroke candidates is hard in my area it seems like. Especially the HO MR1 motors I prefer to use. On mine I will be doing my driveshaft/pump setup similar to the guy who converted his exciter over to MR1 motors. Using the intermediate bearing setup from a mid 2000s VX ski to push back the coupler almost flush with the back wall in the engine compartment. Otherwise there is no way I could fit a MR1 in, even with cutting. The XR1800s have a lot more front to back room than the Exciters/LS2000s because of that big exhaust on the PV motors.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    Good progress. Not familiar with the fuel setup on XR1800 vs my LS2000 but I would think it would be most effective to place the fuel pressure regulator on the forward wall were the fuel line come through from the tank? Gives you a surface to mount securely too and is out of the way.

Obviously that is not as easily accessible for viewing but in my experience seeing fuel pressure isn't critical until something is amiss and then you probably already have the engine compartment opened up anyways. Removing the rear seat bottoms to access the tank and fuel gauge seems like extra hassle to me. Maybe yours remove easier than mine.

I've had a itch to do a 4 stroke conversion in my LS2000 since I bought it. I have it planned out for the most part but finding good 4 stroke candidates is hard in my area it seems like. Especially the HO MR1 motors I prefer to use. On mine I will be doing my driveshaft/pump setup similar to the guy who converted his exciter over to MR1 motors. Using the intermediate bearing setup from a mid 2000s VX ski to push back the coupler almost flush with the back wall in the engine compartment. Otherwise there is no way I could fit a MR1 in, even with cutting. The XR1800s have a lot more front to back room than the Exciters/LS2000s because of that big exhaust on the PV motors.
    Yeah, on the XR1800 you just remove a seat cushion, pop off a cover plate, and theres access to the top of the fuel tank and fuel sending unit. No screws involved.

My initial thought was to place the regulator on engine bay wall like you had mentioned. I initially bought all my fittings for that type of setup. I would just really like to be able to look at fuel pressure for the first couple rounds of water trials to make sure I dont inadvertently lean out a motor by mistake.

+1
    I can understand that. Especially when running one fuel pump for two engines. What are the specs of that fuel pump? A twin engine 160hp MR1 powered boat burns I believe just under 100 LPH at wide open per a test I found online. Most pumps should be able to feed that easily. The infamous walbro high pressure 255lph pump should easily do it.

Here is a link to some common fuel pumps with specs. http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fpspecs.html

+1
    Yeah, the FXHO jet ski service manual claims 45lph max fuel consumption.

Im using a cheap off brand fuel pump, High Flow Performance HFP-341. Figured Ill experiment on something cheap before I dropped the money on a Walbro pump.

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	465305

+1
    I don't see any reason to believe that won't be adequate. What pressure do you plan to set the AFPR? Factory is in the 40-50 range correct?

One question I had in my head when brainstorming motor mounts. When using that flat steel, did you machine off an equal thickness from the bottom of the factory mounts so you end up netting zero vertical increase? Or just get lucky with it lining up with the increased thickness?

+1

XR1800 160hp MR1 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    I don't see any reason to believe that won't be adequate. What pressure do you plan to set the AFPR? Factory is in the 40-50 range correct?

One question I had in my head when brainstorming motor mounts. When using that flat steel, did you machine off an equal thickness from the bottom of the factory mounts so you end up netting zero vertical increase? Or just get lucky with it lining up with the increased thickness?
    Yeah, the manual says between 45-47psi.

So my motor mounts for the XR had a metal plate under each motor mount. Going from memory, that plate I think was 1/8 thick. There was also 1/16 shims at each mount. So the 3/16 flat steel turned out to be exactly the right thickness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information