Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any wise spark plug readers here?

I know some guys can look at a spark plug and say exactly what if anything is wrong. So here are pics of my plugs off 95 wave venture 700, Both were equally dripping with oil.

Ski runs good but appears plug fouling is causing some issues at least that's my guess. Ski got to where it didn't want to run right. Put new plugs in and back to old self.

Still on oil injection, 234 hours no known history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	464086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	464087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2902.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	464088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	464089  

Reading suggest black plugs equal running rich. So I guess I'll go with that.

Plugs are running to cold, there a lot of ash build up, prob lot of idle time on it. Maybe long no wake zones. Def a rich. Condition but without knowing how the engine was ran for last 5 min before plugs are pulled recommended tuning direction isn’t possible.
    also age of spark plug would help as well.
    even a good tuned engine with large amount of hours on the plugs with long idle time or hose flushing will net a plug that looks like that. If it takes 20+ hrs for plug to look like that you just might leave it u less you trying to get little more pep out of it.

probably right at 10-20 hours on plugs closer to 10-15, yes long idle zones last 5 minutes was in long idle zone. After photo Changed plugs got better then went back to fouling plugs.

I will also note that the problem started after I changed oil types.

Thank you for assessment.

+1
    As Tnt alluded to, you can't really read 2-stroke, ski plugs when it's been idling. You really have to do what's known as a "plug chop."

This is where you're on the water and you go WOT, then pull the lanyard. This immediately kills the engine and then you pull the plugs and take a look at them after they were working hard at WOT.

To me, this may be a little hard to do in that you'd have to pull the seat and then pull both plugs while out in the middle of the lake. Now, if you've got a buddy there on another ski, I'm sure he can help. Maybe even slowly tow (less than 5mph) you back to shore where it would be easier to pull the plugs and read them.

6. +1 by:

+1
    It's best that you buy the rebuild kits that I linked for you in your other post. Rebuild those carburetors first.

Absolutely, I am starting to prep and gather for a fall rebuild plan. May have to start sooner. Understand the importance of not running a bad carb. I had forgotten the trick of running ski at speeds to check plugs, thank you both.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you get to the ramp real early in the morning you might be able to get away with doing the test while the ski is strapped down to the trailer

30 seconds at full throttle should do it. watch the pump wash and check for trash around the shore, as it will certainly go right into the pump. make sure the ski is secured to the trailer with at least two good straps

The lake has a lot good shoreline I can do it on the water easier glide right into shore and check.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyshogan View Post
    The lake has a lot good shoreline I can do it on the water easier glide right into shore and check.

gliding to shore is the preferred method. running wfo at the ramp can create some difficulties with other boaters who dislike PWC's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information