Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Smile 1995 Waveraider 701 Mods and General Qs

Hi all, first post here.
    I recently bought a 95 Waveraider 701 that is mechinically in amazing condition, aesthetically it needs work lol.
    I already sourced a used aftermarket intake grate (unknown brand, no markings whatsoever) and a new Protec ride plate and got them installed. Not easy parts to find in 2020 it seems.
    Took it out for the first time this 4th of July and got tossed off after 30 seconds. Kinda crazy how it wants to dart all over the place at full throttle. But I still had tons of fun.
    I've been riding my father's 95 Waverunner III 650 for over a decade and thought I knew PWCs pretty well, but the Raider was a completely different experience.

My only questions are, are there any tips you guys recommend when riding Raiders? I've read they can be a bit dangerous but I find that exciting. At the same time, don't want to shatter my body into pieces.
    Secondly, I read that an extended nozzle would help with the darting issue, would that actually do anything? If so, would a 20mm or 50mm extension be better? If there are any other recommendations you guys have for me I would really appreciate it!

Pics to come when I'm done fixing the paint and replacing the stickers.
    btw I was sent a Protec Waveraider 1100 intake grate by mistake and I'm looking to sell it. I'll make a post over in classifieds.

+1
    I've got a 1994 Raider that I've owned since it was brand new so I've logged quite a few hours on it over the years. The only times I've ever been tossed off is when I purposely hooked a full turn at high speed or if I were jumping some really big boat wakes. It's been many yeas since I've been tossed off but I still ride it at WOT because it's pretty slow compared to my modern, 4-stroke skis.

I also have a Protec ride plate as I lost my OEM plate years ago when I forgot to tighten up the plate bolts. I didn't even know I lost it until I got home and I was cleaning up the ski! With either ride plate, I wouldn't say that my ski has ever wanted to "dart around" at WOT. Mine tracks just fine. It handles chop terribly but that's to be expected of a small, very lightweight, old-school ski. On smoother water, it tracks perfectly straight and I've never been afraid of it abruptly doing something funny and tossing me off.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plum.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	464090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plumspeed.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	464091  

3. +1 by:

So I've got problems...
    Tried to take her out for a ride earlier today and found it very sluggish. Immediately beached it once I realized it wasnt getting any power past idle. Opened the hood and found a giant puddle of fuel and water in the bottom.
    Got her in the trailer, took the tank out, didnt see any cracks. What I did notice however is that whoever converted it to the reserve line only did not block off the original fuel line coming out of the engine side. I also found that the reserve line going into the carbs was not properly attached. I easily pulled it off. Put a very big white zip tie on it as you'll eventually see. Took off the fuel sender from the lines and just did a direct line into a gas tank. Engine sounds fine but theres this awful metal on metal noise when it's running. It seemed loud at start up as well. But I didnt see any water or fuel coming into the hull from underneath the engine, tank or even under the exhaust box that I can tell. I recorded a video and took pictures of the set up. Does anyone have any idea how water and fuel can pool at the bottom of a waverunner when its sitting? Could that fuel really leak from a loose fuel line? I'm stumped. I'm going to check the original gas tank again but I have no idea why that much fuel and water pooled at the bottom of the engine.

Heres a link to the photos I took. Kinda took em quickly so if they're shitty that's why. I'll upload the videos I took once I have an actual internet connection.
    http://imgur.com/a/M5Xkylb

+1
    When my Raider had a metal on metal sound, it was a saltwater swollen wear ring. I used to be a saltwater boater and the salt got in between the stainless steel liner and the outer housing causing "swelling." In other words, there were spots where the internal diameter (ID) of the wear ring was less and the impeller was hitting these high spots. I had to replace the wear ring.

I purchased an aftermarket with a plastic (OEM is stainless steel) and I've never been all that happy with it. The aftermarket wear ring was 1/3 the price of a brand new OEM. Maybe I should've taken my chances with a used, OEM wear ring from eBay. It seems like my ski doesn't have the acceleration that it used to have. Most of the time, I'm lucky to hit 52 mph. That gps speed on my picture above was quite recent. It really surprised me. It was the first time in years that I've seen a speed of 54mph whereas it was much easier back in the day with the OEM wear ring.

+1
    If your Raider's gas tank pressurizes up like my Raider's tank, then yes a lot of gas could spill out into the hull from a loose hose connection.

I'm not all that sure of how your fuel hoses were connected when you had the gas leak. I've read your post a few times but I'm still a little confused .

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    If your Raider's gas tank pressurizes up like my Raider's tank, then yes a lot of gas could spill out into the hull from a loose hose connection.

I'm not all that sure of how your fuel hoses were connected when you had the gas leak. I've read your post a few times but I'm still a little confused .

Haha no I understand. I typed that all really quickly on my phone without much structure.

From the time I last ran/flushed my engine, which was July 5th, to today July 12th, something occurred where a good portion of the gas in the gas tank ended up on the bottom of the hull. I had just filled the tank with with 5 gallons on July 4th, on top of the 2-3 gallons that were already in there when I bought it.
    I didn't think to open the top and check for any issues. Just wanted to go.
    Got it into the water and immediately noticed it had no power. It would idle fine but once I gave it gas it would accelerate maybe 5 mph. Wouldnt bog down or stop running, would just run like you're only giving it light throttle. Even giving it full throttle didn't change the RPM, speed, anything.

Beached it and opened it up. Found like a 2 inch puddle of fuel/water on the bottom of the hull. I immediately checked the fuel lines and noticed 2 things. 1) the line going from the reserve to the carbs was loose at the barb. I pulled it off with one finger. There was no zip tie or any clamp holding it on. 2) the main fuel line, which has been cut and sealed off at the gas tank end, was still attached to the carbs and is completely open at the end where it was cut.

I have narrowed down to what happened to a couple things:
    1. Loose fuel lines,
    2. Cracked/damaged fuel tank, probably along the seam
    3. carbs are damaged (which wouldnt make sense since I took it out last week and it ran great and has always started right up since I got it in May) I ordered 2 rebuild kits anyway just to have.
    4. fuel pump damaged (also wouldnt make sense either because I would've seen the fuel leak with how much was on the bottom of the hull)

5. Something happens when its in the water and water somehow gets in and idk wtf would happen at that point to effect the fuel lines. If I get it back up and running I'm going to back it into the water on the trailer and run it stationary on the trailer. See if there are any leaks in the exhaust box or anywhere that could leak out on the water and not when you're just flushing the engine out of the water. I checked for leaks when I was flushing it on the trailer and couldnt find anything around the engine or the exhaust box. IDK just incredibly frustrated.

+1
    ....Beached it and opened it up. Found like a 2 inch puddle of fuel/water on the bottom of the hull. I immediately checked the fuel lines and noticed 2 things. 1) the line going from the reserve to the carbs was loose at the barb. I pulled it off with one finger. There was no zip tie or any clamp holding it on. 2) the main fuel line, which has been cut and sealed off at the gas tank end, was still attached to the carbs and is completely open at the end where it was cut.....
    I'm going to try to get this part figured out. I'm not looking at my ski but I'm going to do the best to try to remember the OEM fuel line routing. There are two fittings with hoses coming out of the top of the tank. One will be the "on" fuel feed (unmolested OEM would be the hose toward the front of the ski) and one will be the "reserve" fuel feed. There will be a fuel return hose that comes from the carbs into a fitting away from the two feed hoses.

Both the "on" and the "reserve" hoses go out of the tank and along the right side of the ski back to the fuel selector. From there, the fuel hose comes back up front where the OEM fuel filter is mounted on the metal bracket with the black rubber that you can see in your first pic on your imgur link. Right at the top of the picture, above your fingers. That's where the OEM fuel filter would be mounted. If I'm not mistaken, the fuel feed hose then comes out of that filter and goes back to the rear of the aft carburetor. The hose makes a u-bend into the fuel inlet fitting on the PTO carb.

The fuel return hoses are routed on the inner side of the carbs facing the engine cylinders. There is a short piece of hose connecting the two carbs. Then the return goes forward and up to the return inlet on the top of the gas tank. Your imgur photo #2 is showing the fuel return hose.

I'm assuming that your photo #3 is showing your direct fuel line from either the on or reserve. Photo 4 and 5 show the line leading into a gas filter, then the hose goes through the OEM gas filter mount then to the back of the ski.

I'm thinking that picture #6 shows the fuel hose making a u-bend into the fuel inlet port on the PTO carb.

... 2) the main fuel line, which has been cut and sealed off at the gas tank end, was still attached to the carbs and is completely open at the end where it was cut....
    This is still confusing me. Where is this connected to the carbs? If your hoses are routed as I described above, I don't know of another port where this hose could be entering the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I'm going to try to get this part figured out. I'm not looking at my ski but I'm going to do the best to try to remember the OEM fuel line routing. There are two fittings with hoses coming out of the top of the tank. One will be the "on" fuel feed (unmolested OEM would be the hose toward the front of the ski) and one will be the "reserve" fuel feed. There will be a fuel return hose that comes from the carbs into a fitting away from the two feed hoses.

Both the "on" and the "reserve" hoses go out of the tank and along the right side of the ski back to the fuel selector. From there, the fuel hose comes back up front where the OEM fuel filter is mounted on the metal bracket with the black rubber that you can see in your first pic on your imgur link. Right at the top of the picture, above your fingers. That's where the OEM fuel filter would be mounted. If I'm not mistaken, the fuel feed hose then comes out of that filter and goes back to the rear of the aft carburetor. The hose makes a u-bend into the fuel inlet fitting on the PTO carb.

The fuel return hoses are routed on the inner side of the carbs facing the engine cylinders. There is a short piece of hose connecting the two carbs. Then the return goes forward and up to the return inlet on the top of the gas tank. Your imgur photo #2 is showing the fuel return hose.

I'm assuming that your photo #3 is showing your direct fuel line from either the on or reserve. Photo 4 and 5 show the line leading into a gas filter, then the hose goes through the OEM gas filter mount then to the back of the ski.

I'm thinking that picture #6 shows the fuel hose making a u-bend into the fuel inlet port on the PTO carb.

This is still confusing me. Where is this connected to the carbs? If your hoses are routed as I described above, I don't know of another port where this hose could be entering the carbs.

I drew lines showing where all the lines went. From what you said it looks like the reserve goes DIRECTLY into the carb towards the back of the ski. I believe the fuel selector has been deactivated by the previous owner. You can also see that the higher feed in the tank, which I'm referring to the main fuel line, has been cut and folded over.
    Now there is a tube coming out of the carbs towards the front of the ski that I labeled with question marks. I can't remember for the life of me if that was attached to the tank or not. It sounds like this is indeed the fuel return line.
    https://imgur.com/a/y2Pc5uu

Edit: yeah i just found the diagram. On my ski there is no tubing that goes to the fuel selector, it is just a direct line from the tank.
    Now, that really only narrows it down to 1. was the fuel return properly in place and 2. was the fuel intake properly in place, which i know for a fact was not fastened down at all, just touch fitted onto the barb.
    BUT, even if the fuel line was not completely sealed, how is it possible to have an 1/3 to almost a half a tank of gas empty into the hull of the ski just from sitting for a week? Certainly there would be a more obvious culprit?
    Last edited by Skwangtang; 07-12-2020 at 11:54 PM.

And heres the video, finally.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information