Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwangtang View Post
    Now, that really only narrows it down to 1. was the fuel return properly in place and 2. was the fuel intake properly in place, which i know for a fact was not fastened down at all, just touch fitted onto the barb.
    BUT, even if the fuel line was not completely sealed, how is it possible to have an 1/3 to almost a half a tank of gas empty into the hull of the ski just from sitting for a week? Certainly there would be a more obvious culprit?
    Let me tell you the story of what happened to my Raider in the spring of 2019. Because of ethanol gas, I had to open up and clean both of the carbs like I do pretty much every year. After installing the freshly cleaned carburetors, I hooked up all the hoses and called it a day.

Several days later, I uncovered my ski to ride it. When I opened up the hood, there was 2-3 inches of gasoline in the bottom of the hull !!! A quick look told me what happened. The fuel inlet hose that makes the u-turn and enters the PTO carb had broken. That's right, broken completely in two. It was the OEM Yamaha fuel line installed by the factory in 1994. Once the fuel hose broke, pressure build up in the tank and or the siphon effect forced out several gallons of gasoline. I sure was glad I opened the hood before trying to start the ski. Yes, I installed all new fuel line!

Make sure all connections are very tight. I'm skeptical of the nylon zip ties. It can be difficult to get them tight enough to clamp rubber hoses. I don't use zip ties for that.

I was thinking of replacing the fuel lines anyway. But that sealed the deal for me. And yeah the zip ties were temporary. I'm going to use hose clamps when I do the repair next weekend.
    Thank you for your help!

If your fuel selector is still hooked up then just turn it to off when not using the ski. Presto, no broken lines can cause all the fuel to drain out. Otherwise yes its advisable to change out 25+yr old fuel lines lol. Zip ties for fuel lines is common and not a problem, these things don't put out much fuel pressure at all.

As for tracking, you have something weird going on. My raider has never thrown me off besides like said before, hitting a big wave or hooking a hard sharp turn at high speed. When the hull hooks it pretty much comes to a stop the direction you were going and it does it quick. But just going down the lake? Never even close to throwing me.

I do have a protec rideplate. Think that could be an issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwangtang View Post
    I do have a protec rideplate. Think that could be an issue?
    I posted in post#2 that I've also got a Protec ride plate. That plate has caused me no issues. I've never been tossed with the Protec.

Ok so. Fueling and flooding kinda fixed.

No water or fuel leaked into the hull but now the engine crapped out on me. It starts fine and idles fine but anything past that? Nah. It ran fine on the water for about 10 minutes before I noticed it started gumming down. Had to limp back. Noticed it idled fine, but giving it anymore than a light squeeze would bog it down. If I let it idle for say 10-15 seconds I could get it to full throttle for say 3 seconds before it bugged down again.
    Got it back on the trailer and pulled the plugs and they were super black.

Currently I'm suspecting a couple things.

1. I mixed it too rich, since I mixed it 40:1 (1 16oz water bottle full of oil in a roughly full 5 gallon tank) and was liberal with the oil even then.
    2. Carbs are clogged up, will run straight seafoam tomorrow through the system.
    3. Carbs are bad, need to be replaced. Already have the rebuild kit on hand. I have no idea if they are original or not either. No knowledge of service on the ski. Just that it had a primer swap.
    4. Combination of issues.

Just found it odd that I could get it running okayish if I let it idle for bit.
    Also should note it ran fine out of the water during flushing.

Edit -

Oh and the darting issue was nothing. Just like you said, it handles chop poorly. Once it starts porpoising it wants to go all over. Also gotta adjust steering because it's not centered. Gotta angle the handle a bit to go perfectly straight.

+1
    I went back to the beginning of this thread just to make sure I knew what you'd done or haven't done to your ski.

First, don't think too much about how the ski runs on the trailer. It pretty much means nothing. The engine can be a turd and still run good on the trailer. It's not under load as it is in the water.

Your carburetor rebuild kits that you've got in hand; are they genuine Mikuni carb kits? This is very important as the aftermarket kits are known to be junk!

Prior to now, I don't think that you've ever taken these carburetors apart, right? In these days of ethanol gas, I find that I have to tear my 2-stroke carbs down once a year otherwise they gum up and the engines don't run right. There are some critical, small passages that must be properly cleaned out with carb cleaner using the little, thin straw that comes taped to the side of the can.

I'm no Mikuni expert but I've torn Mikunis down so many times I can almost do it blindfolded! I used to own a pair of 1996 Sea Doo XP skis. Those things seemed like they wanted their carbs cleaned up about every 2 months . I had them when I still lived in Florida and ethanol free gasoline was readily available unlike here in the oil state of Texas. I should've bit the bullet and paid the $1+ per gallon extra for ethanol free gas!

I'm going to try to write up a tutorial to help you and others once you open up the carbs. I'm going to only focus on those critical small passages that I mentioned. If those passages aren't clean, your ski absolutely won't run right! I learned that the hard way with those Sea Doos. It's getting late so it's not going to be tonight but I'll try to do it tomorrow and post it.

I highly doubt the ones I got are genuine Mikuni. I just couldn't bring myself to pay 100+ for rebuild kits when my father had good luck on random ebay rebuild kits for his 650. His waverunner 3 was also a 95 and he said he only replaced them once. I did help him rebuild it though. In addition to the wear ring and impeller. That hing needed lots of work but it wasnt difficult work.

Ultimately I'm treating it kinda like a puzzle/lego haha. Theres diagrams online I can look at when it comes to assembly. I'm going to at least try the seafoam trick to see if it cleans it up. For all i know they're the original carbs from 95. Otherwise fuck it I'll spend the money and get genuine mikuni carb kits. But like I said I think the ones I got are knockoffs. They were like 25 per set roughly.
    Last edited by Skwangtang; 07-26-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Just did the sea foam flush. Ran the fuel like directly into the can of seafoam until filter was full of seafoam. Switched back to direct fuel.
    Exhaust water is straight black. Clears up after idling for a bit. Engine sounds the same.

Covered it up for the weekend.
    Some thoughts and observations.

Checked plugs after seafoam run, still dirty. Front cylinder (fore, 1st. Closest to tank, whatever you wanna call it.) Was very smokey even after I pulled the plugs 10 minutes later. Has me a little concerned. Rear cylinder wasnt smoking.

Water definitely had carbon deposits in it from somewhere. Theres a huge black spot on the lawn from where I flushed it haha. At first I thought it was oil but I realized it most certainly was carbon. Stuck to my fingers exactly like when work on my car.

I know I didnt do exactly the correct procedure when it comes to using seafoam. Engine did bog down and stall 3 or 4 times but one pump of the primer line would get it going again.

I do plan to tear down the carbs next weekend and see if they've ever been cleaned or replaced because from what I can tell it's never had seafoam or any cleaner run through it. Old 650 never had carbon deposits like this did.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information