2008 stx 1500F not driven in years and probably not started should I stay away

Ok I have a friend that has an 08 stx 1500. I know he has not driven it in years as in more than 3 maybe 10, I'm guessing he has not started it in years. It has been kept inside but no telling how long it's been since it was used.

I don't need the ski but I have the same ski and everyone is always wanting to drive mine, so part of me wants to buy it if the price was right. As of now the price isn't right.

Would you stay away because of the lack of use?

Kyshogan,

I took a chance on two 2005 STX-12Fs and a trailer but my price was paddle them to a boat ramp (took me about 1.5 hours for the two). I'm still working on them but meters and electronics appear good so far in my checks. Both jet pumps are rebuilds because of no maintenance. Gas was nasty needed fuel pump and found a broken cooling pipe which is my latest issue. I'm guessing I might have $2k to get the two of them going, not counting my labor. Now these were stored on boat lift year around for about 3 years and not touched. Oh and salt water used.

I would see if the jet pump comes off easy then see if the motor turns. The meters would be my next check. If those things are good might not be bad but it depends on price. You might just need to give it some TLC before running it.

These two I got for free are my first experience with jet skis and I have found them not hard to work on and just requires time. Tons of great, helpful folks on here too!!

+1
    I bought an STX-12F and STX-15F w/ double trailer for about $2500. Neither had been run for 8 years. It took about 6 hours to clean each fuel tank, plug cleaning injectors, replacing the fuel pumps, fuel filters, etc.

The -12F needed a display, and also had bad corrosion in one of the termination plugs in the wiring harness. After that, it had a bad starter & clutch that were traced to an apparently stuck starter relay.

The -15F runs great and is liked by everyone that rides it. The -12F is running well now and seems reliable.

Thanks for input, guess I'll wait and see if the price comes down enough to take the risk. I"m guessing the ski is in pretty good shape it's just the fear of internal rusty engine parts.

+1
    How much does he want?

You can always pop the valve cover off and look at the camshafts. That's the part most likely to rust.

He looked it up on nada and it said a dealer would ask in the mid 5,000 i'm no where near that number. Was Just wondering if I should even shoot him my much lower offer in the event he doesn't find a buyer.

+1
    Sure! Worst case he says no. I wouldn't offer more than $2500 without inspecting the fuel system. I'd bet that the engine is OK inside.

Thread Information