Just bought 2 Rebuilt Skis for 5000..... was it worth the price

So I just bought my first ever watercraft and I'm not sure if I got my moneys worth or not....

From what people have been telling me it seems like it is a good deal which is partly the reason why I settled on these 2 skis. I've also done my homework and found out Yamaha Waverunners are one of the most reliable jet skis in the market.

The first is a 1998 Yamaha Waverunner GP800 with a top and bottom end rebuild. with 20 hours on the rebuild
    the second is a 1998 Yamaha Waverunner GP1200 with only the top end rebuilt. he said that has 10 hours on the rebuild
    I do not know the original hours because of some problem he described to me with the display but now I cant remember exactly what he said (probably sketchy??) ill try to ask him again what he mentioned to me tomorrow.
    he threw a double ski trailer in.. he said he didn't want to get rid of it but he did because he wanted it to be a package or whatever so I ended up paying 5k for 2 skis and a trailer..

Background Info: I bought them off someone who was very mechanically sound. (didn't want to just buy off anyone or buy one with a sun rotted seat or obvious signs of neglect etc...) He had his own personal workshop in his garage with literally a powdercoating oven so I really want to believe they were taken care of but you never know obviously. the hulls were almost perfect

Side note: my buddy came with me and he said the 1200 was idling a little high and said I might need to Re jet the carburetor which I'm fine with doing because i can get the labor done almost for free...

going to take it out on the lake tomorrow.. just wanted to post this to ease my worries a little bit and get some experienced knowledge on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-926937622.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	464062  

+1
    Since you didn't say anything about how they performed on the water, I'm going to assume that you made the purchase without a test ride. Very, very risky doing that! I and everybody else would've told you to test ride the skis first before making the deal. Starting the engines on the trailer means nothing!

As for the price, I wouldn't say that was an especially good deal. On the other hand, I've noticed with the china virus that the price of used skis has definitely gone up in the Texas area. You didn't say where you live and the price of skis can be very regional specific! Some of the craigslist prices I've seen people asking for their used (sometimes non-running) skis tells me that they're on crack!

I can't tell much about the skis from your lone picture. It looks like your trailer is a painted trailer. If so, saltwater will be a no-no with that trailer.

At this point, I'd advise you to take them to the water and try to run the skis. If they give you any bogging or any other weird, non-normal running behavior, I'd quit running them before doing any damage. Whether or not the seller told you he rebuilt the carbs, I'd advise that you rebuild all of the carburetors with genuine, Mikuni carb rebuild kits. They're pricey-gonna run you about $50 per carb.

Are they still oil injected or have they been converted to premix? If the skis are still oil injected (I prefer keeping the oil injection) you're going to want to replace all of the oil injection hoses with new hose and good, Oetiker pinch clamps.

You should've done it before the purchase but you might as well run a compression check on all cylinders of both engines. If you don't own a compression gauge, you can rent one for free from most auto parts stores. What you'll be looking for will be consistent readings within 10% of each other among all cylinders in each engine. The actual number isn't all that important as long as you're around at least 100psi, preferabley more. Many gauges read inaccurately but as long as each engine's cylinders are within 10% of each other, you should be fine.

Let us know how the test rides go tomorrow. Post extra pictures, too. Good luck and I hope you have fun with them!

I ended up bringing them out on the lake and they were working beautifully! the triple has an air fuel mixture problem were trying to sort out on it but it definitley runs. Were planning on doing the plugs today on it and we were even talking about potentially rebuilding the carb. ill take your advice and buy thr mukuni rebuild kits for sure. thanks for the reply. ill post some pictures from today later

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    Since you didn't say anything about how they performed on the water, I'm going to assume that you made the purchase without a test ride. Very, very risky doing that! I and everybody else would've told you to test ride the skis first before making the deal. Starting the engines on the trailer means nothing!

As for the price, I wouldn't say that was an especially good deal. On the other hand, I've noticed with the china virus that the price of used skis has definitely gone up in the Texas area. You didn't say where you live and the price of skis can be very regional specific! Some of the craigslist prices I've seen people asking for their used (sometimes non-running) skis tells me that they're on crack!

I can't tell much about the skis from your lone picture. It looks like your trailer is a painted trailer. If so, saltwater will be a no-no with that trailer.

At this point, I'd advise you to take them to the water and try to run the skis. If they give you any bogging or any other weird, non-normal running behavior, I'd quit running them before doing any damage. Whether or not the seller told you he rebuilt the carbs, I'd advise that you rebuild all of the carburetors with genuine, Mikuni carb rebuild kits. They're pricey-gonna run you about $50 per carb.

Are they still oil injected or have they been converted to premix? If the skis are still oil injected (I prefer keeping the oil injection) you're going to want to replace all of the oil injection hoses with new hose and good, Oetiker pinch clamps.

You should've done it before the purchase but you might as well run a compression check on all cylinders of both engines. If you don't own a compression gauge, you can rent one for free from most auto parts stores. What you'll be looking for will be consistent readings within 10% of each other among all cylinders in each engine. The actual number isn't all that important as long as you're around at least 100psi, preferabley more. Many gauges read inaccurately but as long as each engine's cylinders are within 10% of each other, you should be fine.

Let us know how the test rides go tomorrow. Post extra pictures, too. Good luck and I hope you have fun with them!

I agree with everything said here especially going with genuine Mikuni rebuild kits! Super important! I have a 98 and a 2000 GP800 and went through a full rebuild on one and a top end build on the other. Fun machines after you address the porpoising on the 800 (fairly easy to do).

As for price, I suppose it depends on where you live and the quality of the rebuilds. Seems on the high end but if its a good rebuild, you'll get plenty of life out of them.

+1
    Great skis IF everything was done right with quality parts. Pic is not great but it looks like they cheaped out on some 4 way stretch vinyl seat covers......I hate seeing that. I also don't know your location but around here that would be about a grand too much. I'm currently refurbing an '02 GPR1200 and a '98 XL1200 on a double trailer that I sold for $5500 and they look very nice and have oem Yamaha covers.

I live on the south shore of Massachusetts. Ive been seing similar waerunners go or 3500 for example i saw an 01 1200r going for 3500 so I hope that skis are just more expensive in this area hahaha dont want to get burned too bad on this deal..... first jet skis.. meh ill take the loss and learn from it if i dont break even

Thread Information