Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 RXP Low RPM and MPH (New Owner)

Hello All! I've used the forum a lot and have only been a lurker to this point. I appreciate all the knowledge/advice that is found here. I'm pretty anti social, and I don't know anything that anyone else doesn't know, so I lurk. Thanks for having me. I'm not new to boats/watercraft/mechanical stuff, however, this RXP is by far the most advanced/crazy/complicated thing that floats I've ever been around. So I apologize for any idiocy I type.

My story:
    I recently came into a 2006 RXP. Unit had 45 hours and had been sitting untouched for 8 years. I paid nothing for it, pretty rough cosmetically from sitting outside, but pull the seat and pop the front cowl and it looked like it came off the showroom floor inside the hull (thrilled to have it!!).

First things I did: New battery, new spark plugs, pump out old gas, put in fresh gas, and it needed a new starter relay. The thing fired up on the hose!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked! But obviously pleased.

Next, did a "take it easy" water test, make sure hoses weren't leaking, there were no water leakage issues, etc. All good here.

After this, did an oil change, following the proper guidance I found here.

Next, did a "go ride!!!" water test. All went well, except it 'only' went 53 mph (GPS on my phone, gauges were illegible from sun damage).

At this point, I decided to do a SC rebuild. First, I figured this is why I was having my slow speed issue (SC wear/age and slippage). Second, it was what I considered cheap insurance to have the ceramics removed and potentially save me the dreaded exploding SC saga. (As a side note, while I was waiting on the SC rebuild, I tore the gauges apart, replaced the polarizer on the lcd screen, siliconed it back together, and I now have legible functioning gauges, albeit no graphics/stickers on the screen).

Now to my issue: I was very excited to get the SC back, install it, and go ride. I thought I'd be melting my face about 70mph. But, it still only goes ~53 at about ~6800 RPM. I've checked hoses, looked for air blockage, made sure I'm firing on all cylinders, made sure oil level was proper, no oil out of SC, blah blah blah. All the 'simple' stuff I could think of and read here.

I've been reading about drive line components causing low speed/high rpm issues, but this doesn't match what I'm experiencing. I have not done a full inspection of the wear ring/impeller, only a glance. But there was no glaring issues and the way she runs, everything seems to be functioning well, at least to my RXP inexperienced feel.

I'm stumped because she runs and rides great! Out of the hole good, powerful, etc. It all feels great to me. I'm just not sure what could be causing it to only go ~53mph and only ~6800 rpm.

Thank you for entertaining my post. I welcome all feedback positive or negative!

+1
    Welcome aboard, what is your air temp, water temp, altitude and humidity?

Thanks for the welcome and your reply mopar! Approximate values: 70 air (pretty close for all three of my outings, all were earlier in the morning), ~68 water, 20% humidity (I don't know how much higher humidity would be on the water), and ~3600ft. altitude. I'm in the TX panhandle on an inland lake, should have stated that.

Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose? Any thoughts?

+1
    if it sat with old or no gas for 8 years ,check fuel pressure and then injectors

Quote Originally Posted by rtarford View Post
    if it sat with old or no gas for 8 years ,check fuel pressure and then injectors
    Will do. I presume a standard automotive fuel pressure tester wonít work? Is there an adapter?

Just pull injectors and crank engine to check spray pattern/clogging?

+1
    [QUOTE=imbe44erthanu;3085102]Will do. I presume a standard automotive fuel pressure tester won’t work? Is there an adapter?

my 05 rxt had a tee to test it, i changed the tee so my tester would hookup . mine would test fine at a idle but lowered the faster i went

Still have same issue.

Was not able to do a pressure test yet as my tester wont adapt to the seadoo tee. I'll hunt down the appropriate fitting and get it tested hopefully this weekend.

I did however notice there was no pressure with the key out. I replaced the pressure regulator and did a redneck clean on the injectors, which I don't believe they needed cleaning. This made no difference in performance.

In spite of not yet knowing my pressure, does this point to a weak pump?

rtarford: what fixed your pressure dropping under load?

Thanks everyone

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imbe44erthanu View Post
    Still have same issue.

Was not able to do a pressure test yet as my tester wont adapt to the seadoo tee. I'll hunt down the appropriate fitting and get it tested hopefully this weekend.

I did however notice there was no pressure with the key out. I replaced the pressure regulator and did a redneck clean on the injectors, which I don't believe they needed cleaning. This made no difference in performance.

In spite of not yet knowing my pressure, does this point to a weak pump?

rtarford: what fixed your pressure dropping under load?

Thanks everyone
    if you can't check the fuel pressure at full load ,i can't tell you the next step.

check the fuel filters in the fuel pump housing.
    there is a filter in upper part of housing that can clog.
    heres a pic of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190512_120948.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	464281  

Quote Originally Posted by rtarford View Post
    if you can't check the fuel pressure at full load ,i can't tell you the next step.
    Fuel pressure holds 62 under load. While I had it home this week I cleaned the IC (slight oily residue). I also pulled the fuel pump and took a look at the filter and pickup, saw nothing wrong. Still pulling ~6700rpm ~53mph.

Thoughts? Iím wondering about the SC even though itís just rebuilt. Also wondered if possibly it was tuned down for whatever reason from the previous owner. Iím at a loss! Thanks for any and all input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information