Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 GP1300R, Wrist pin went through piston.

So here’s the deal. Went out to the lake with the family last weekend. Ski was running great all weekend. Felt faster then usual. We’ve been going up every weekend since May and this ski has shown me 0 troubles. Checked the compression about three weeks ago and all three pistons were at 100psi. Well on the last day of the weekend me and the gf went on a short ride and on the way back to load up the ski went dead in the water. I thought I ran out of gas but my gas gauge said a quarter tank and it was working all day. Well today I finally had the time to tear the head off and this is what I found.

So I’m coming to you guys for my first post on here even though I’ve used this forum for incite for years to ask you guys a question. Is there any hope!? Haha Meaning does anybody think I could get away with just a top end? Or am I going to have to go for a full rebuild? I’ve worked on many skis and I have never seen the wrist pin go through the piston like that.

If anyone can give me some incite that would be MUCH appreciated.
    Thank you.

What I meant by top end is new pistons, rods, cylinder exchange and new head. I’m thinking the rod ruined the crank though so I might just be shit out of luck.

+1
    Well, that cylinder has been running bad lean and possibly even has an oil line popped off. The piston melted to the cylinder wall until it stuck so hard that the wrist pin got yanked out of the piston casting. Then came around another rotation and jammed it up through the piston. That crankshaft is toast.....maybe even the cases too. Needs full teardown and assessment.

Welcome to the site. That’s crazy! Never seen anything like that

Yeah I tore the motor apart and the rod went right in too the reed valves which cracked the case. I bought it with the oil block off kit already on it and was running 50/1. Wonder why it was running so lean. I'll send pics in a sec. I've been trying to get a hold of sbt to see if they'll even take it for a core. Pwcengines says it'll charge me way too much money. Anybody know of a place in california? The shipping cost all the way to florida would be insane anyways.

Motors already out and put back together. Just trying to figure out my next step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBBF93C8-C4CF-40E3-8E07-B7F45E04BF59.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	464135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F789FF22-EA92-4D71-B1D1-068D18584223.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	464134  

+1
    Post an add on Facebook. Looking for somebody with a TIG welder. There are lots of skilled home hobbyists around. Betting you can find a local to fix that case for a hundred dollar bill......buy a new crank.....send cylinders out for replating or do a top end exchange.......BAM!!......back in business!

Alright Thanks man! Thats what I'll look into then. Couple quick questions! what do you think i should do about the head? Also what do you think i should do for premix?

+1
    I premix at 40:1. Head doesn't look to bad, clean it up and check it for warpage.

+1
    One feature about the Yamaha oil injection system is that you still get lubrication even if the carburetor gets plugged up and you don't get fuel flow.

When you switch to pre-mix, you lose that benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information