Spark ECU Scanner in Orlando FL area??

Hello! Iím a new member here and am having an issue with my newly bought spark. I bought a 2016 spark 2 up from a private seller and it has an engine light on the display, the previous owner insisted it was just a maintenance light but I believe I was naive and bamboozled because when riding this thing will beep Very loudly every 30 min or so. There is no performance issues but this is obviously very annoying and the dealer wants 200 dollars just to scan the ski and see whatís wrong. Does anyone in the Orlando or central Florida area happen to have a scanner that can help me out? Iím willing to pay you for your time and use of tool but I think 200 is a bit outrageous, especially considering a lot of places will scan your car for free but somehow this charge is justifiable to the dealer? I appreciate any help, thank you!!

+1
    I don't know the guy, but here's a local CL ad:
    https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d...147381252.html

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NagelBagel View Post
    Hello! I’m a new member here and am having an issue with my newly bought spark. I bought a 2016 spark 2 up from a private seller and it has an engine light on the display, the previous owner insisted it was just a maintenance light but I believe I was naive and bamboozled because when riding this thing will beep Very loudly every 30 min or so. There is no performance issues but this is obviously very annoying and the dealer wants 200 dollars just to scan the ski and see what’s wrong. Does anyone in the Orlando or central Florida area happen to have a scanner that can help me out? I’m willing to pay you for your time and use of tool but I think 200 is a bit outrageous, especially considering a lot of places will scan your car for free but somehow this charge is justifiable to the dealer? I appreciate any help, thank you!!

welcome aboard GH. The message sure sounds like the maintenance timer, especially since as you say the ski is running well. Consider it a reminder to drink a bottle of water or to reapply sunscreen and call it the day

Optional finger wagging lecture + some other useful info:

car scanners cost as little as $39 and to read some codes they just have to sit inside the car and plug in, they don't reset codes or make keys or much of anything else and only auto parts stores will do free code scanning, they want to sell you something and a free scan is the hook

Never make that comparison around a ski shop. My car code scanner which can also make keys costs $1800 and the software updates are $600 a year, so when somebody calls for a key for a 2019 Dodge Pickup, they are going to pay the price. A full shop seadoo scanner can cost over $2000 by the time you're done.

I've shown people the door for that kind of complaint by the way, same when they start on me about the price of batteries comdpared to walmart, prop refinishing compared to their pal with a rat tail file, or sparkplugs ( some can cost over $20 each!)

the cheapest home use ( for 4 skis) Seadoo scanner is over $400 and if somebody wasn't careful, the diagnostic connector may not be reachable without splitting the hull. Perhaps the dealer knows these skis.

I get 90 minutes labor to split the hull, it cannot be easily accomplished without a helper, so the dealer charge isn't exactly an outrage if the scanner plug isn't reachable. When the ski is a double setup it's pretty painful to get to the bolts on the inside as well. Inexperienced techs often do not get the hull half's together correctly which leads to leakage, and in the worse cases, sinkage

Ask the dealer what they get to replace sparkplugs, that's a hull splitting operation, that will give you an idea on what their labor rate is really like. My posted rate is $135. I had to split a hull last year after they owner took his spark to an outboard shop for an oil change and their guy dropped the oil filter cover into the hull and was afraid to take "the entire hull apart". The guy bitched loudly when I quoted him and I was swamped that day anyway, so I lent him my grabber tool and my magnet and said feel fee to fish for it, but you're wasting your weekend. I offered to install the cover for free if he managed to get it out that way. He didn't take the hint. two hours later he called uncle. I made him wait for the next day to pick it up as it was already close to closing time. Found a couple of sockets in the hull too. One of em was a snap-on!

Some things on a spark are expensive to deal with, anything inside the hull falls into the classification

Just for comparison, if somebody rolled in wanted a supercharger maintenance message reset on a 4-tec and produced receipts showing that the charger was indeed rebuilt, I'd still charge them 30 minutes labor if that was all they came in for.

moral of the story, never believe what a seller tells you and make sure to look into labor rates for your potential purchase.

Folks that bought the full on suspension ( IS) version of the 4-tec have heart attacks when I tell then what it costs to fix a leaking hull seal or anything that requires the removal of the top deck.

when you get the ski winterized the tech can reset the maintenance nag for you. Maybe the guy mentioned can do it if he can snake the diagnostic connector out of the hull, but I suspect he'll charge you at least $100 as shop versions of scanners with an unlimited license as I mentioned, ain't exactly cheap. Of course if he's working out of his garage, it could be less. But garage level guys often do not invest in scanners.

Might pay for you to buy a candoopro scanner seeing that you have a pair of skis, especially if your spark has the RF key upgrade. or the maptunerX with maintenance package if you want to increase your power. That's not a cheap tool either.

By the way, be really careful if you try to change the oil filter, I hear that guy in New Mexico charges over $150 to fish the cover out of the hull if you fat finger it.

Most of my spark customers get a full service at end of season and have little trouble except for the occasional rock in the pump, unless its an IBR model, in which case there is additional pain for any kind of pump issue.

Most bigger problems are the results of boat shops and back of the house guys thinking they can deal with "that little ski"

I told the local boat shops I'll spiff them for any spark they send to me and make them pay the fine if they send it to me after they screw up.

So make sure you've got some reasonably fresh oil in there and enjoy the remaining weeks of the season.

If you're not so sure on the age/quality of the oil here's a handy tool for that

http://www.lubricheck.com/product-lu...il-tester.html

this will let you know where you on on oil contamination and give you the chance of avoiding the expense of an unneeded oil change before the end of the season.

Always change the oil and filter at the end of the season.

One more tip: don't lend your skis out to your friends/relatives, you'll certainly regret it

4. +1 by:

+1
    I bought a 2016 spark 2 up from a private seller and it has an engine light on the display, the previous owner insisted it was just a maintenance light
    According to the owners manual, if the check engine light comes on it means

Check engine (minor fault requiring maintenance) or iBR system fault (models with iBR) or LIMP HOME MODE (major engine fault)

Also, there's a Check Engine message that should scroll across the display and a separate Maintenance Required message.

Check engine is serious...Maintenance required - you can generally ignore it.

when riding this thing will beep Very loudly every 30 min or so.
    I don't think it beeps for Maintenance required messages. My understanding is it only beeps when it really needs your attention.

Per the manual:

2 second beep every 15 minute interval

Engine management system fault. Seek service from an authorized Sea-Doo dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing for maintenance,repair, or replacement.

Thread Information