Thread: 2000 GTX Help!

2000 GTX Help!

Hey guys i have a 2000 Seadoo GTX Millenium Edition 951, i just bought the jet ski a few days ago and it rode well, little bit of water was coming into the hull under the motor, couple of friends said it was possible carbon seal, i rode it today and i was pulling a tube and the rope got sucked into the driveshaft, after 20 min of cutting it off with a knife i finally pulled it out. Few hours after the jet ski just didnt run the same, All my gauges died and the speedometer was way off. Shortly after that the whole jetski was filled with water and had no power. Then it cut off on me and would not start again. I came home and pulled the plugs and tried starting it to see if the motor was flooded. One cylinder was fine and then 2nd one spit out oil and water mix. The ski just cranks. If i give it a little bit of gas while starting it will turn on for a split second and then just die.

What are my options here? is the motor blown?

I did pour some oil down the cylinders to prevent them from rusting.

+1
    Unfortunately, you bought somebody elses problem. First mistake was buying a 951 powered ski without researching it. They only last around 150 hours before needing a top end. Water coming in could be from a missing intake grate bolt but likely from a loose exhaust pipe........which would also explain the poor running and water in cylinder. Post up a pic of the engine compartment and both spark plug tips. Maybe I can pick out any shoddy repairs. I see this crap all the time here at my shop. Somebody "fixes" just enough to sell it.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Unfortunately, you bought somebody elses problem. First mistake was buying a 951 powered ski without researching it. They only last around 150 hours before needing a top end. Water coming in could be from a missing intake grate bolt but likely from a loose exhaust pipe........which would also explain the poor running and water in cylinder. Post up a pic of the engine compartment and both spark plug tips. Maybe I can pick out any shoddy repairs. I see this crap all the time here at my shop. Somebody "fixes" just enough to sell it.
    I fixed the jet ski, itís now running with no issues, compression test came back great, my only issue now is that water keeps coming into the hull, I cannot find the leak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14FA6419-8D55-422A-AD17-F1687BFD7FDC.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	464099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65FAC54E-B086-4DE1-84D8-6E19740E9404.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	464100  

+1
    Pic of the rest of the engine.....

Pic of the rest of the engine.....

here ya go

Name:	0B7AA7DB-E145-4CF2-9D9A-E5491F252797.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	464121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0254668-BD0F-4AD8-8F7B-A753CB64C0BA.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	464122  

+1
    See right where the silver exhaust manifold meets the black exhaust pipe? There should be a "diaper" around that joint. Leave it strapped to the trailer and back it into the water. Look around that joint under the rubber flaps while giving it some throttle. Another common place is down on the cylinders almost directly under the head water fitting. There is a small water line that sometimes pops loose.

See right where the silver exhaust manifold meets the black exhaust pipe? There should be a "diaper" around that joint. Leave it strapped to the trailer and back it into the water. Look around that joint under the rubber flaps while giving it some throttle. Another common place is down on the cylinders almost directly under the head water fitting. There is a small water line that sometimes pops loose.
    I will check that thanks, I drove yesterday for a few hours and there was not water coming in, I parked it on the sand for 1 hour and there was water inside. I donít get it

Name:	D3D59D3C-2665-4EFF-8B81-A2E215E3B33F.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	464128  

Just found those laying around on the bottom of the jet ski

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's a couple of battery bolts and more worrisome, the rubber damper for the exhaust pipe.

looks like the bushing was not replaced at least from what I noticed in the picture. The bolt must not be ion contact with any metal except for the exhaust pipe itself

as stated "fixed it enough to sell it"

here's my suggestion:

since it now is running SELL IT, take a small loss if you have too.

the ski is a money pit and it looks like at least so far that a hack worked on it, and 951's don't take very well to that.

at least this time, i'm not the first one to say it.

The clue is the diaper protectors. ANYBODY who knows about a 951 would rather drink spoiled milk then send a ski out without that vital protection in place.

no doubt you leak is coming from a hose put on with a zip tie instead of a work clamp. be careful, I have no doubt it's cut like a dagger

you can find plenty of info on the 951 in the forums.

Thread Information