Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Stx di broke down..

Hey guys I'm back again with another issue. I have a 2000 stx di 1100, my father was out on it for a ride and it stalled out on him. He needed a tow back, I thought he was crazy because I hoped on it and it started right up as usual, and then it stalled on me as well. I noticed a engine light flashing, shut the key off and it started back up after a few tries, full rpms though and while it was running the engine light shut off and it felt good. After it stalled again I could not get it to start , I had to get towed back. I have a feeling it is emm related. What is throwing me off is that it was running great then randomly with no warning it just quit. If anyone is there and can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    The strange part is when I was taking it out of the water just now it started right up, as if nothing happened ran great no warning lights. Again just to check when it was on the trailer, started with just a quick push of the start button, reved up nice . I'm confused ..

+1
    You need to find out what fault code(s) are stored. Difficult to diagnose without that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawachris View Post
    The strange part is when I was taking it out of the water just now it started right up, as if nothing happened ran great no warning lights. Again just to check when it was on the trailer, started with just a quick push of the start button, reved up nice . I'm confused ..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    water flow to emm may be restricted. Careful removing the hoses, the connections may be brittle, warm hoses with hair dryer first and take your time
    CPS connection may be hanging on by a thread, that's pretty typical, try a little wiggle where the cable enters the body of the CPS
    reading engine codes is a must or you are going to be chasing and towing
    manual strongly suggested as the system, doesn't take well to guesswork.

the resident EMM repair expert will be along to advise.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Do you guys know how to pull codes? I'm pretty sure I read something about a cable I can make and using an older windows system laptop? I will check the cps asap, would an omhs reading tell me if I should change it or not?

+1
    I did a little investigation on my issue this morning, I ended up finding a ground wire on the coil pack that was frayed. Which explains my intermittent issue, I think . I cut the wire back a bit spliced and soldered a little piece I had laying around with a new circle connector and she started right up! I have not checked the cps yet I totally will before putting it back in the lake.

The only thing that is throwing me off is the engine light, like you guys said I would really like to know which code was stored.

While I have the ski out I will flush it on the hose and check for proper cooling through the emm, just to make sure I'm not over heating. Even though no heat warning came on the dash.

The ground wire looked like it heated up and melted the insulation, does anyone know why this would of happened?

Happy fourth of July thanks for taking time to help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawachris View Post
    Do you guys know how to pull codes? I'm pretty sure I read something about a cable I can make and using an older windows system laptop? I will check the cps asap, would an omhs reading tell me if I should change it or not?
    You need a laptop running XP or 98 to run KADIAG. You can purchase the cable and s/w from Kawasaki or build you own cable if your technically inclined. I have soft copies of the manuals and s/w. I also created a adhoc drawing of the cable pin out, based on my oem cable. I just don't have sources for all the components.

Here's the test spec for the CPS.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPS.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	464040  

+1
    That sounds a little out of my skill range, I might just buy the cable from the dealer eventually.

As for my previous issues, after fixing the ground wire on the coil pack it seems that the ski is running correctly. I took it out for a blast and everything was okay, no warnings no issues.

I checked the cps resistance and it was 4.19 which is in spec.

Thanks again I'm sure I'll be back soon

10. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a broken ground wire would cause an ignition coil fault to be thrown. Not quite sure if that is retained after the fault is corrected

I'd measure the running voltage at the battery to be on the safe side. no higher then 14.4v

the ski might have been jump started at one time

+1
    That doesn't seem too bad, I haven't checked the volts at the battery yet. What does it mean if the volts are higher than 14.4 at the battery?

Have been riding/ tubing on the ski basically all day after fixing that ground wire. Seems good again.

The ground that came apart is on a 4 wire plug, one black wire and three yellow wires going each coil pack. I checked my 02 parts ski but it didn't have the same plug. I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about and if I can buy that plug online somewhere just in case it decides to break again. I'll take a picture of it and post it to this page soon.

Ski is running great thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information