2006 Wake 155 - Reverse cable lock broken...

So the reverse cable lock nut failed and allowed water into the hull. Hard to believe Seadoo would make such an important part out of such thin, brittle plastic. But alas, they did.

Got the threads out pretty easily by just pushing inward on the sides of the threads with a long screwdriver. Now the question is what do I replace it with? What are you guys using? I'm not putting in another piece of plastic that could be the difference between having a great day on the water and my ski sinking to the bottom of the ocean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	464011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	464012  
    Last edited by surfcitypops; 07-04-2020 at 01:23 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you sniff around you can find the billet aluminum version of that bit

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    if you sniff around you can find the billet aluminum version of that bit
    Just bought 4 of the billet models. Throwing them into the tool box along with 2 starter relays and the rest of the emergency kit. Not letting another two cent piece of plastic end my day or sink my ski. Seadoo should recall all of these cable locks as they're a safety hazard.

Ordered four billet aluminum nuts for my two skis and as luck would have it, the shape of them is not the same as OEM plastic. They are not even a common shape for any ordinary socket as they aren't true hex heads. I bought the correct tool for the OEM nuts thinking it would do the job of installing the aftermarket nuts. Nope. I tried every tool in my box to tighten them and couldn't. I'm not removing the pump for this "simple" task so I resorted to buying a 1" crows foot that will arrive today. Hoping that does it. I hate when a simple job gets sideways for stupid reasons.

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	464562  

+1
    you can typically form the correct size for things like this by using some 1 inch PVC and a little heat on the billet part to melt the plastic into the desired shape. You can try that if your crowfoot won't fit. ( and I suspect you will not have enough clearance)

btw, the reverse cable nut is a fairly rare failure considering how many skis there are. I've only replaced a few in over a decade in the business

6. +1 by:

you can typically form the correct size for things like this by using some 1 inch PVC and a little heat on the billet part to melt the plastic into the desired shape. You can try that if your crowfoot won't fit. ( and I suspect you will not have enough clearance)

btw, the reverse cable nut is a fairly rare failure considering how many skis there are. I've only replaced a few in over a decade in the business
    Thank you. I was going to try the PVC method next. I'm still hopeful an actual tool will work. The clearance is suspect, though, as you say. You'd think the folks that make/sell the billet nuts would make a tool to sell as well.

My guess is the failures are the result of poor adjustment of the cables and/or actuating levers. There should be something in both the steering and reverse systems that stops the extension of the cable BEFORE it places pressure on the nuts. It seems as if the throw is too long and allows outward pressure on a part only designed to be strong enough to hold the seal in place.

+1
    you would think the folks making the billet nut would make it eye-dentical to the factory part as far as nut size

you would think.....

they didn't

after I form up whatever pvc tool I'm having to use this week, I always put a couple of wraps of fiberglass strapping tape around it to keep it from cracking

you would think the folks making the billet nut would make it eye-dentical to the factory part as far as nut size

you would think.....

they didn't

after I form up whatever pvc tool I'm having to use this week, I always put a couple of wraps of fiberglass strapping tape around it to keep it from cracking
    So here's what happened today. The 1" Crowsfoot did the job. Plenty of clearance on the reverse cable side. Less on the steering cable side so I may struggle a little bit more over there when I decide to change them (I have two skis).

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	464577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	464578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	464579  

10. +1 by:

Thread Information