Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1996 Kawasaki zxi 1100

Alright, I'm new here and hoping I can recieve some pointers . I have a zxi 1100 which I've had since it was brand new and maintain it very well. It has extremely low hours and have always maintained and winterized up here in the Cleveland ohio area and only fresh water. I haven't used it for the last 6 years and finally decided to get back on the water (was dealing with a sickness but now better). I bought new plugs, battery and after the last winterization unfortunately left about an 8th of an tank of gas which I treated 6 years ago. 3 weeks ago I put new Kawasaki 2 cycle oil in (all I've ever used) and filled up with shell v power (all I've ever used) and after finally getting it to fire, it ran awesome and no issues. Now, the 2nd and third time the idle is cutting out and stalling in the water but never on the hose about 1800-2000 rpm on the hose and about 1200-1400 in the water. Is there a chance that I fouled the new plugs with that original stale gas that went through or do you think it's just a simple idle adjustment and if so how do I adjust. cannot find original manual and I'm definitely not a mechanic. Other than the low idle stalling out the ski I had almost 60 MPH yesterday and had great top end speed with no issues. Thanks in advance for and suggestions/input and hope you all have a great/safe holiday weekend!!

I'd probably pop the carbs open to give them a nice run through and clean if it's been sitting for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeawardToast View Post
    I'd probably pop the carbs open to give them a nice run through and clean if it's been sitting for 6 years.
    Thanks, carbs are squeaky clean. Finally found the idle screw gonna try and turn a hair..also gonna replace the plugs again for shits and gigs

Yup, need carburetors serviced never been done since brand new in 1996 lol. Anyone on this forum know any decent mechanics in the northern ohio area that still work on 2 strokers? I'm not comfortable working on and it seems nobody likes to work on anymore..

+1
    Welcome aboard, Realfire!

Any significant amount of fuel left in the tank will leave a gooey residue. I'm sure that's not helping matters any.

What do you mean 'carbs are squeaky clean'? Did you take them apart?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Realfire!

Any significant amount of fuel left in the tank will leave a gooey residue. I'm sure that's not helping matters any.

What do you mean 'carbs are squeaky clean'? Did you take them apart?
    Sorry, should have clarified.. When I said squeaky clean I meant I ran a can of seafoam through the other day and interestingly the low idle issue disappeared. I know I am only delaying the inevitable with a carb rebuild but great idle now and no bogging and amazing top end speed, around 60 mph.. unfortunately I'm not qualified to take the carbs out and rebuild and nobody works on 2 strokes anymore but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy for the rest of the summer

Anybody with a service manual is qualified to do the carbs, it is really straightforwards. You should really give it a shot and look through them, seafoam isn't going to get all of the gunk out if they are clogged. Maybe they aren't bad enough to cause a bog but they could still be running lean and be the cause of a failure later down the road... For the peace of mind I'd go through them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeawardToast View Post
    Anybody with a service manual is qualified to do the carbs, it is really straightforwards. You should really give it a shot and look through them, seafoam isn't going to get all of the gunk out if they are clogged. Maybe they aren't bad enough to cause a bog but they could still be running lean and be the cause of a failure later down the road... For the peace of mind I'd go through them.
    I appreciate your input and absolutely agree with you. I might take a crack at it at some point. It is amazing to me that this ski has basically been running well with no service whatsoever with the exception of winterizing here and there

I bought a stxr that had been sitting for 3 years. First two times out, ran perfect. Third time out, bog and stall. Turned out the screens under jets were CLOGGED. I mean so clogged I felt bad for riding it. Absolutely would have led to a failure if I hadn't gone through them. It might run "well" but that doesn't eman it is healthy. If you want to hold onto the ski I would go through the carbs. The more you learn about your ski the more confident you feel on the water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information