Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SeawardToast View Post
    I bought a stxr that had been sitting for 3 years. First two times out, ran perfect. Third time out, bog and stall. Turned out the screens under jets were CLOGGED. I mean so clogged I felt bad for riding it. Absolutely would have led to a failure if I hadn't gone through them. It might run "well" but that doesn't eman it is healthy. If you want to hold onto the ski I would go through the carbs. The more you learn about your ski the more confident you feel on the water
    Dont mean to sound stupid, can you go through them without taking carbs completely off? Those screens you mention did you have to remove the entire carb assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by Realfire View Post
    Dont mean to sound stupid, can you go through them without taking carbs completely off? Those screens you mention did you have to remove the entire carb assembly?
    You need to remove the carb assembly from the ski. Working on them in the hull will be next to impossible. Never mind if/when you drop a small part into the abyss!

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    You need to remove the carb assembly from the ski. Working on them in the hull will be next to impossible. Never mind if/when you drop a small part into the abyss!
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to try in the fall/winter. I ran some seafoam through the tank and it totally fixed the low idle/stop issue and I know I'm not crazy, gained a few extra MPH lol.. its running great now and I'll give a thorough maintenance over the winter.

It's easy to pull carbs, it is only 6 hex bolts and disconnection fuel / oil lines. Good luck this season, I would definitely have throttle open for 5-10 seconds and push kill button. Then check plugs to see if you are running lean. If you are going to wait to go through carbs this might save you a cylinder

+1
    I leave the oil lines extra long so I can look at the carbs without removing the oil lines. Another option is to remove the oil pump and lift it up with the carbs attached. Of course, that means you have to re-adjust the oil cable, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information