Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Stxr1200 piston issue's

Hello everyone. First time post for me on any forum now that I think about it. I purchased a 2003 Kawasaki stxr1200 last September. Needless to say I was quite ignorant about these much less 2 strokes. Upon the 2nd time out it burned the FWD piston. I did a top end rebuild with new oil lines and oil pump. Rode it twice this season and then the jet pump went. Rebuilt that and rode it 3 more times. Last full ride was Sunday. Took it out yesterday and it stalled. Similar to when it burned a piston. Checked the plugs and cleaned them. It fired up and died again. We towed it home and the #3 piston has 28 psi and the FWD 2 @ 126. Im going to tear it down again but am clueless to what caused it. Other than lack of oil maybe lean? Carbs are not my thing. Anything else that could case it.? Vacuum leak maybe?? Im pissed and tired of it already. Any ideas would ne greatly appreciated. I will update when I pull the cap amd jug off.

Andy M.

Did you open the carbs and check for cloggs? Its foolish to go through the hole rebuild process and not open up and check them....

+1
    Welcome aboard, Andy!

Did you do all three cylinders? Did you use OEM parts?

Here, read this thread, it will tell you all you ever wanted to know about the STX-R:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278520

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Andy!

Did you do all three cylinders? Did you use OEM parts?

Here, read this thread, it will tell you all you ever wanted to know about the STX-R:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278520
    I did do all 3 cylinders but unfortunately not OEM. I Wasnt aware of how finicky these motors were so lesson learned. Ill pull it apart again amd see what the damage is. Mayne this thing is more work than I want. So many projects so little time.

+1
    What condition are the cylinders in? Were they original (nikasil plated) or aftermarket (liners). Others may disagree, but I'm a proponent of OEM.

Use OEM carbs parts, too!

The carbs are all stock. New lines and OEM oil pump. The cylinders are sleeved I think. I gaped the rings and went over all the bolts after a few heat cycles but im wonder if the filter might be the culprit. Its not a mesh OEM style. Oversight on my part. I will start the tear down today. Thank you for the thread. It has quit alot of stuff. Is there any know issues with crank case vacuum leaks? I had a bike that leaned out amd it ended up having a vacuum leak through a crank case seal.

No, but plugged screens under the needle seat is common... pull the carbs apart

Will do. Thank you sir

Well I pulled apart #3 and it is not good. Lack of oil was the issue. I will pull the carbs apart next.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0705201619.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	464053x7r9fd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0705201622a_HDR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	464052  

Yup that's no good, you really did that in the hull?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information