Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2017 VX HO trim adjustment for long range cruising

So I have been reading itís possible to add trim to the vx models with ride, considering a vx ho as a replacement to my fx SHO for 1 main reason, fuel burn want to do some longer distance cruising and the vx ho cruiser may fit the bill, has cruise assist which use a lot! In our choppy water, the other thing I use is the trim and normally bow up, or flat donít think I have ever trimmed the bow down? So is there a foxes wedge option to bring the bow up enough to keep nose out the waves? Would also need looking to fit a GP grate and ride plate and aftermarket sponsons and remap the motor giving me similar top
    end to the SHO but a better cruising range SHO canít go much more than 70 miles without extra fuel hoping a vx ho closer to 100 and still able to carry and extra 20-40l on the back I know the vx has less storage and wonít be as good in the rough but with a lack of on wayer fuel options I think it might be a reasonable compromise Also a much younger ski with fewer hours.....

+1
    Any one using a 2 degree wedge?
    https://www.worx.com.au/products/wr0...vho-pump-wedge

how much difference does it make to the vx?

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    For a 2017 hull I will suggest starting with the Yamaha 2019 ride plate, which lifts the bow some and also improves hull tracking.

Myself and several friends have 2017 GP1800 - all prefer the newer style ride plates (with the Ďcutí channel in the lower plate surface).

If you will be riding in waterS that may sometimes be less-than-smooth consider either the 2019 VXR intake grate or the Riva aftermarket intake grate.

Does your model have BOTH nozzle Trim and Cruise controls? IIRC you could get one or the other depending on the model, but not both?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Does your model have BOTH nozzle Trim and Cruise controls? IIRC you could get one or the other depending on the model, but not both?
    thanks the fx has both, the vx has only cruise, seems electric trim system is possible to add (reading in here) but sounds like the 19 plate and intake may be better and a adding a wedge may also help, looking less likely I will be changing now as would need to get it at a real bargain price and the prices of skis is silly right now.....

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Try the wedge, intake and ride plate first.
    Yes u can add trim to the vx platform as long as it is Ride equipped.
    Not too hard but not too cheap.
    500-1000 bucks depending on your deal finding ability..

I’m running a wedge on a 19 gp1800 and I really like it. But I also have a modified RIVA ride plate and intake grate. The bow definitely rides higher then a stock ski, but it’s perfect. I never have the need to use trim.

+1
    The good thing about a wedge, is that you'll not loose thrust as compared to having to a trim system to achieve the same angle, hence why I've seen wedges mainly marketed to speed on glass conditions - aka the combo of not sacrificing thrust and getting less hull surface area in contact with the water.

Yet for long distance cruising, bow up -vs- bow down ... I've found both to be useful, so I'm very glad I can adjust on-the-fly, as it depends greatly on the TOTAL conditions.
    On a boat boat, things were a bit more predicable with trim angle. So on a ski, I once thought that there was some static logic I could also apply to trim. For instance, smooth glass = bow neutral/slightly up, really rough chop big swells = bow full up, moderate chop bow slight down, sharp-chop = bow full-down. But it's not that simple. While that's a good rule-of-thumb, and perhaps I a bit more "persistent" at finding that sweet-spot, I'll often seek all combos of bow up down neutral along with speed and angle of approach on waves until I get it right, often surprised on what combo I end up with.
    Too bad you can't retro-install a manual trim, like the older FX cruisers had.

+1
    I have manual trim on my fx and it’s either neutral or up and I don’t think up has been an isuse.

+1
    Never bow down?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Never bow down?
    I’ve tried it but never found it makes a real difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information