+1

1996 polaris sl 900 wont transfer fuel from bottom to top.

I have a 1996 polaris 900sl that i am fixing for a friend. It all started out with no spark on one cylinder. So we did the update ignition kit we now have spark on all three cylinders. But we still had a no start condition. So we removed the carburetors due to it sitting for a couple of years, and cleaned them, checked pop off and installed new gaskets. We also installed new fuel lines and inline filters. Got everything reinstalled and still don't want to go. I put fuel down each carb thinking maybe it needed to be primed but didn't even get a pop or backfire out of it. I pulled the plugs and they are dry. Thats why im thinking its not transfering fuel. My battery voltage is staying at 11.5 well cranking and i've put spark plugs in the wires well leaving the others in the cylinder heads and they spark very nice. I did do a compression test and its just shy of 150 psi!! Does anybody maybe have an idea what i could possibly have going on.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How exactly did you ‘prime’ the engine. Fuel down the carb air intake or fuel into the carb fuel feed?

Was this engine able to start and run before you began working on it?

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Check whether the correct spark plug wires are going to the correct cylinders. This engine has sequential ignition so if the plug wires are mixed up it will not be able to run.

+1
    I put fuel down each carb, I also tried putting some down each spark plug hole. I did try moving each spark plug wire around to different cylinders but still no luck. not sure if that is the correct way or not.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Was this engine able to start and run before you began working on it?
    Wondering if the flywheel is rotated out of time, with a sheared woodruff key.

5. +1 by:

KRR

+1
    I will check that out in the morning. Thanks for the quick reply's. I also notice tonight with the carbs off the vacuum hose seem to be blowing air not sucking. That does not seem normal to me. I removed the carb to get a good look at the reeds with a WiFi camera i just bought. They seemed just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KRR View Post
    I also notice tonight with the carbs off the vacuum hose seem to be blowing air not sucking. That does not seem normal to me.
    Try to be more specific.
    It does not have "vacuum hoses". Only fuel hoses. If pressure builds up in the gas tank-that pressure will push fuel out of the supply fuel hose UNTIL all pressure it released from the tank. Could also open fuel cap as recommended .

2 hoses are used for "pulse line". They attach to crankcase. WITH engine cranking, those hoses will have pressure and suction. Pulsing quickly with about 5psi/in hg with each engine revolution.
    Last edited by K447; 06-30-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Thread Information