XL1200 Water Leak (At the Lake on Vacation)

I just recently purchased a XL1200 (56 hours) and it is mint. One of the cleanest ones I have seen to this point. The ski ran great on the test ride, hit 50 MPH(could have gone faster, but I'm conservative) with no issue. I brought it down to Tablerock lake for my family vacation and it started to run rough after my first ride. It also seemed to handle a bit wobbly. I opened the seat to find water in the hull. There was quite a bit. Few inches maybe.

I immediately pulled it out of the water, and opened the drain plugs. I pulled spark plugs and turned over the engine to ensure nothing was coming out. I have done a compression check as well and all cylinders are in the 110-115 PSI range. I put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and turned it over with plugs in it as well.

TL;DR version: Have water leak from an exhaust pipe coolant flange. It is the one that is visible. I bought some RTV, but apparently there is a o-ring in there that seals it all up.

Photos and parts diagram of leak point.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kvsUZDZpqV4VH6UV6

Any advice or guidance would be great. Do I need to remove the entire coolant pipe? I would hope not as this will be a much harder job. I want to get back on the water and pull a tube.

+1
    Is it leaking from there because its corroded and not sealing properly? Id take the whole pipe off, brush off any corosion with a wire brush, it looks like its quick enough.

+1
    While you're in there, be sure to check those oil lines for security and to make sure they're not brittle/cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMitch View Post
    Is it leaking from there because its corroded and not sealing properly? Id take the whole pipe off, brush off any corosion with a wire brush, it looks like its quick enough.
    I swung by a PWC repair shop yesterday and he said this got hot at some point and look/feels as though this flange melted. He said it is plastic not metal?

They ordered a new part and he can swap it out in a few hours. I will have them check the oil lines as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
    I swung by a PWC repair shop yesterday and he said this got hot at some point and look/feels as though this flange melted. He said it is plastic not metal?

They ordered a new part and he can swap it out in a few hours. I will have them check the oil lines as well.
    Checking the oil lines means nothing. They need replaced....PERIOD. Take heed these words or it will cost you an engine. I literally just put one of these engines back in place tonight after replacing a cylinder and piston because of a popped off oil line. They are stretched banjo string tight and WILL pop loose. Also the updated power valve keepers, cat delete, and carb mods are all pretty much "must do" on these engines for reliability.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Checking the oil lines means nothing. They need replaced....PERIOD. Take heed these words or it will cost you an engine. I literally just put one of these engines back in place tonight after replacing a cylinder and piston because of a popped off oil line. They are stretched banjo string tight and WILL pop loose. Also the updated power valve keepers, cat delete, and carb mods are all pretty much "must do" on these engines for reliability.
    I am doing 100:1 gas/oil mixture in the fuel just as an FYI. The thing runs so good I almost had to take the carbs apart. I'm not sure if the d plate mod has been done on this Ski.

I am ordering WaveEater package for it to get that piece done then will address oil pump lines at another date.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
    I am doing 100:1 gas/oil mixture in the fuel just as an FYI. The thing runs so good I almost had to take the carbs apart. I'm not sure if the d plate mod has been done on this Ski.

I am ordering WaveEater package for it to get that piece done then will address oil pump lines at another date.
    Shouldn't these be ran 40:1 or 50:1 ??

Edit: Or do you mean 100:1 in addition to the oil that's already getting fed by the oil pump.
    Last edited by MrMitch; 07-02-2020 at 12:23 PM.

+1
    I'm pretty sure he meant, in addition.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information