Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Those look like scratches to me. Possibly someone took the engine apart before and used a pry bar to separate the cylinders from the crankcase.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Those look like scratches to me. Possibly someone took the engine apart before and used a pry bar to separate the cylinders from the crankcase.
    Looks like you were right. I took a wire brush attached to a drill and the ďcracksĒ disappeared. Really scared me for a sec. Still doesnít explain why the oil was milky but itís possible the hole in oil pan was creating a suction type vacuum and sucked water up into the oil pan? Only other thing I can think of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	464774
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6655.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	464775

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Bilge water mixing with the oil in the "open concept oil pan" is what I would guess. Its probably worth flushing the oil system a few times to make sure you get all the contaminates out of the system. I would also really watch the oil filter for metal flakes in the oil. Its possible that you took out the bearings in the motor depending on how long you ran the motor like that.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Bilge water mixing with the oil in the "open concept oil pan" is what I would guess. Its probably worth flushing the oil system a few times to make sure you get all the contaminates out of the system. I would also really watch the oil filter for metal flakes in the oil. Its possible that you took out the bearings in the motor depending on how long you ran the motor like that.

Sean
    Thanks Sean. I unfortunately donít know the run history other than it ran smoothly but leaked oil. Iíll break open the oil filter and check. I found no shaving or participes in the pan other than the large chunk that broke off the oil pan.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhmcfadin View Post
    Thanks Sean. I unfortunately donít know the run history other than it ran smoothly but leaked oil. Iíll break open the oil filter and check. I found no shaving or participes in the pan other than the large chunk that broke off the oil pan.
    You may have gotten lucky then. Just keep an eye on it, milkshakes are no bueno for motors.

Sean

STX-15F Oil Leak- Not Burning Oil

Got the engine back into the ski along with a new fuel pump, fuel lines, rebuilt injectors, water hoses, and 5 quarts of Rotello 15w-40. A little stutter on initial startup and then she started purring. Took her out to the lake and idled around for about 15 minutes while checking the cooling system. Exhaust manifolds were cool and the water outlet on the right side of the ski wasnít scalding. Pressure out of that nozzle was good too. Checked the oil level as well. No water in the new oil from idling and the level appeared to be ok. No water in the bilge either. Then drove around the lake at higher speed and the ski ran great. Very smooth, plenty of power. From a stop to full throttle there was a little slippage but could have been because the lake was somewhat rough.

I realized I never checked how many hours were on this ski. The 2013 Ultra 300 LX only had 7 hours on it when we first put it in the water a few weeks ago so expected the hours to be relatively low. This STX-15F has 229 hours!

Now that I know how many hours are on this thing, what other maintenance items should I be addressing? Should I overhaul the pump and seals? I also looked into the intake grate and noticed the impeller had a couple dings.

Questions are:
    1. What other Maintenence items should I perform considering 229 hours on the ski?
    2. If I do rebuild the pump, what other upgrades should I perform while Iím in there?
    3. Are there any upgrades I can do to improve the handling/ride in rough water? Compared the to Ultra 300, this thing beats you up in rough water.
    Last edited by dhmcfadin; 07-26-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information