Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with Intermittant issue...ski dead not starting!!! 2007 Seadoo GTX 155

Hi there...I hope this issue has been seen before! Last season the few times the ski ran great no issues. Stored ski in my enclosed trailer for winter and battery on tender. The other day I put the battery in the ski and started it no issues. Went to start it yesterday and I had to put the key on and off about 30 times for it to start working.

Here is what I have done:

Battery voltage is 12.05v. Is that to low? When it does power up it starts the ski (rare).
    I have tested both keys when the ski is working and not working and they test good.
    I have tested the Dess post both when the ski is working and not working and it always tests good.
    All fuses good. The 2 green ones in the left fuse box have power. Could the relay be suspect?
    I have wiggled all connections and don't see any chaffing or corrosion issues. Ski is clean. Not a salt water ski.

I put battery on a different charger and will have load tested tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Would the dealer plugging in be able to tell anything? There are no codes on the cluster on the rare occasion the ski starts.

Where does the signal to and from the Dess post come/go to?

What issues have people seen?

+1
    Iím sorry Iím no help but will be interested to hear what the solution is.

+1
    You say you put the key on and off 30x.Left out critical info, does it beep when you put on the key? If so, what beep pattern?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmustang00 View Post
    . . . .

Battery voltage is 12.05v. Is that to low?
    Depends on where and what measured that value - but generally "yes" that's too low. A healthy batt on a DVM should read 12.8v minimum.
    But if that was read on the dash - could be the just circuit voltage (aka v sag) - so always get a DVM on the batt directly, to avoid skewed readings.

I know you were to recharge it, yet if it quickly returns to that low voltage again - likely lost one cell (bad battery).

Finally - recheck the ground connections (batt to engine).

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    You say you put the key on and off 30x.Left out critical info, does it beep when you put on the key? If so, what beep pattern?
    No beeping, nothing, nada. No gauges, nothing. Battery has 12.8 volts now as I put tender on it overnight. Both green 30 amp fuses have power on both sides.

Friends working battery, keys, and relay above 2 30 amp fuses and no change. No beeping, nothing.
    Last edited by gtmustang00; 06-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmustang00 View Post
    ... Battery voltage is 12.05v. Is that too low?
    Well, a fully charged battery will rest at 12.5 volts, and often higher.
    12.05 volts is getting pretty low.

There may be something else going on, but that battery voltage makes me suspect that the battery may be internally weakened. If so, charging the battery will not fix it, the battery would need to be replaced.

Battery is at 12.5 volts now. I am curious is if there are tests with other wires than the black, black/yellow and white/gray wire for the post. The post is not recognizing any keys. In the rare occurrence and luck that the post does recognize it, the ski starts and runs as it should, but only for a few times plugging in/unplugging the key. I tried a friends keys also just to see if it would beep with his, but machine wouldn't (I know they wouldn't start the machine).

When I put power to terminal 87 of the relay, the ski powers up as it should.

+1
    The signal to read key or start comes from the ecu. I have an '07 GTi 155 here right now with the exact same issue. I'm pretty sure the ecu is at fault. I have replaced several '05-07 ecus for various funky issues. As soon as I get a similar ski in here I'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The signal to read key or start comes from the ecu. I have an '07 GTi 155 here right now with the exact same issue. I'm pretty sure the ecu is at fault. I have replaced several '05-07 ecus for various funky issues. As soon as I get a similar ski in here I'll know for sure.
    I'm trying to find a wiring diagram so I can do some tests. The grounds on the small fuse box, one comes from relay to fuse block, middle comes from connector under hood, where does the 3rd one come from? Ecu?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information