Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bilge Pump Performance Apples to Apples

The 800 GPH Shoreline from Walmart
    The 800 GPH Rule from Academy sports.

The Rule is double the price.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Multiple factors affect bilge pump flow rate. If they differ then the actual amount of water pumped per hour (per minute) will vary.

Battery voltage
    Inside diameter of the hull exit fitting *
    Inside diameter and length of the hose from the bilge pump to hull exit fitting
    Height difference between the bilge pump and the hull exit fitting.

* If the hull exit fitting is smaller it will tend to ‘throw’ the water farther, but is also reducing the flow rate.

Bilge pump GPH ratings (the headline number on the label) are typically measured using 13 or 14 volts. Typical for electrical system with engine running, but with engine off the battery voltage is closer to 12.x volts, which reduces flow.

Also, GPH rating is often for the pump alone, with no hose at all, no exit fitting, and no lift height of the water.

Some bilge pumps gph flows are significantly affected by changing battery voltage, hose flow resistance, and lift height.

On my own watercraft I am currently using Whale SS1212 bilge pump rated at circa 1100gph. This is what the flow looks like using a large 1 1/8” hull exit fitting, on battery voltage with engine not running.

The exit fitting has a 90 degree bend on the inside, which probably reduces flow rate a little.

+1
    https://www.xylem.com/siteassets/bra...ltilingual.pdf

Note the battery voltage used and the 25% gph flow reduction (from 800 to 615gph) with a 3 foot ‘lift’
    That would be with zero elbows or hull fitting restrictions using a smooth wall hose with no ID reduction.

The ten hour ‘break-in’ period suggests that a brand new Rule bilge pump may not achieve full flow right out of the box.

+1
    This article, while focussed on larger boats, shows how fast water can come in depending on the hole size.

Personal watercraft tend to have water coming in very slowly or very quickly. Seepage around hood seals and various hull fittings tend to be slow (which is typically kept under control by the bilge scavenge [aka siphon] system while riding), while a hull impact (collision, rock strike, etc) can create a large hole instantly.

A sudden failure of the driveshaft seal (Seadoo’s Carbon Ring may deserve special mention here) can also flood the hull rapidly.

A cooling hose breach around the engine can result in water being rapidly pumped into the hull while you ride. You may need the bilge pump to keep up as you ride towards shore or back to your launching place.

All these things suggest installing the largest capacity bilge pump you can fit.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/kno...-up-to-the-job

My view is that if I never actually need the bilge pump it was still well worth the money.

The hull fittings are the same. I bought a pair, one for each ski. I had a length of 3/4 automotive heater hose in the shop. The hose from the pump to the hull fitting is from the same piece of hose.
    I never started the 1100 DI it was running on just the battery. The 12F was on the battery in the video but I did start with no change. As a matter of fact the 1100 DI has about 1' more hose than the 12F.
    The Shoreline pump is rated 5 AMP draw and the Rule is rated at 3 AMP draw. The Shoreline pump sounds like it is on a mission when it's running. The Shoreline just blows the doors off the Rule plain and simple.

+1
    I've used Rule and Attwood Tsunami bilge pumps.

I'll give credit to the Attwood, my neighbor at my lake house has a bunch of cats. They like to climb up on my covered 'Skis to sleep. During one trip, I discovered that my bilge pump was running after the cats apparently stepped on the rocker switch. It may have been running as long as two weeks, dry.

The difference in performance suppressed me. Both pumps are rated at 800 GPH. The rule is not even in the ballpark.
    This is the one in my DI ski. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline...-4-in/16609599

I ordered this one from Amazon. Same pump under a different name. https://www.amazon.com/T-H-Marine-Su...g-goods&sr=1-2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    The difference in performance ... Both pumps are rated at 800 GPH.
    The rule is not even in the ballpark. ...
    Is it possible the Rule 800 pump you have is defective?

I bought it new about a year ago and put it in a boat I was using. I took the boat apart for a resto and put the pump on the shelf. It was tested once in a bucket of water before putting it in the boat.
    The auto on switch is a sensor of some type and I wanted to see it in action. To answer your question I have no idea. It is smooth and quite and seemed to work fine. I didn't put in the DI ski because it didn't fit as well as the shore line. My 12F went down a few weeks ago so I found a place for the Rule and that is when I noticed a big difference testing it.

More testing of the 800 GPH Rule vs T-H Marine ($29.00 Amazon) $39.00 Shoreline Walmart.
    BTW the battery is about 8 months old and it stays on a Minn Kota Charger/Maintainer.

Distance test Rule
    Distance test T-H
    Time to empty a 5 gallon bucket T-H
    Time to empty a 5 gallon bucket Rule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information