Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How much water in hull is "normal"

So obviously you never want water in your hull. I just replaced driveshaft holder and engine mounts on my STX-R (thank you Raas) and took it out to the lake. Filled it up to 3/4 fuel and ran it till fuel light came on, jumping waves, hard turns, overall a pretty hard ride. I get back to the boat ramp and pull the plugs, I get about a cup or two of water our of the right plug and maybe half a cup to a cup out of the left. I checked the hull under the seat multiple times during my ride and did not see any serious water. I also had started the ski in the water but on the trailer to watch the driveshaft holder for any leaks when I put in.. there were none. So this "leak" is very very small. My concern is that there is still a leak, or is this normal? I could just put a bilge in there and call it a day but I would like to track down the source of this if it is abnormal. I know the thru-hull for the driveshaft is another area it could leak from but I checked this while doing the holder and it looked all good. How much water, if any, is in you guys skis after a hard ride?

Side note: Which bilge pump do you guys recommend?

+1
    "Jumping waves, hard turns, overall a pretty hard ride." You're getting water in through the front hatch. They don't seal very well. The bilge siphon will get most of it, but not all. I usually have a cup or less on my small hulls. The big Ultras stay pretty dry unless I get crazy with them.

Thanks Steve. I was riding pretty hard with a lot of water coming over the front hull over the course of 2 hours so I will mark it up to that and install a bilge. Thanks!

Sounds about right to me

+1
    After I finished riding my 310 last weekend, I had to dry out the fire extinguisher container.

+1
    I wonder this alot as well. I ride hard, jump wakes, hard turns, give it hell. I usually dont have much come out drain holes but once I remove back compartment and check in the low spot under the battery tray area there is always water. Yesterday, splashed , drops all over the engine bay. But then I remembered I was getting Airborne jumping the Surf Boat wakes, high speed runs over wind/boat chop to feel like offshore racing. Doing spinouts and trying to keep it hooked up and tight turns. And realize that's probably why there's water splash everywhere, and another good reason to not just have an air filter shoved on the throttle body for me at least. I probably average maybe a cup or so of water on the low spot and if I was still angled on the boat ramp I might get it to come out the drain hole.

Update to this. Had to ski out a second time and got more water in than last time, again riding pretty hard in rough chop for a couple hours. I checked under the seat and the water is not super visible while riding, seems to sit in the rear of the ski but when I pull plugs I get a stream for a few seconds out each side. Just want to make sure there is no leaks on my driveshaft thru-hull, is there a simple way to test this? Fill ski up with water and check underside for leaks or?

These are known for thru hull separation and drive shaft couplers leaking. Fill back of ski with water and inspect thru hull. I had to reseal mine

9. +1 by:

Thanks. Guess I should have just done this while I had engine out.. ugh. Will fill with water and check

+1
    Or ride it with the seat off. Or back it in the water and leave it strapped to the trailer and take the seat off. Whatever is easier.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information