+1

Unhappy Yamaha FX won't run Issues - Easy Fix - Lesson Learned

I recently posted a blog where I spent weeks trying to trouble shoot my FX140 by replacing injectors, ecm, coil packs and the systems would work, and then didn't work. Starter always worked..got spark and then didn't... fuel system initiated and then didn't... It ended up being a slightly loose ground wire to the engine.. It caused all the issues, time and money ($700) for replacement parts. It was a good lesson learned and here are a couple of telltale signs that could point to it:

ECM shuts down as soon as the ski does instead of staying live for 10-20 seconds afterwards. Ground wire gets hot fast when trying to start the ski.. Like I said, the starter was always working so I never dreamed it would be the ground until the relay was clicking and I cleaned the connections to the electrical box and it worked or a while and did it again (all while trouble shooting over 3 weeks).. the ski even started once tonight before I figured out the issue. I reached in to check the starter connections and found I could move the ground wire easily and I could even back the starter mounting bolt out by hand. BTW, you can remove the starter without removing the exhaust manifolds (I did it), but you need perseverance, dexterity and patience.

Hopefully this will help someone troubleshoot their ski without going thru the hair pulling adventure I went through!

+1
    I'm really happy to hear that you found the problem and were able to fix it. So was it your negative battery cable or some other ground wire? Any pictures?

+1
    The ground that goes to one of the 2 starter mounting bolts-lugs (to engine) was a little loose so it could swivel.. wasn't making good enough contact to keep the ECU/systems happy. Haven't had an issue since cleaning and re-installing. It's a bit of a bitch getting your hand through the maze of cooling hoses and behind the exhaust manifold to get to it, but it can be done!

I chased this issue down for 3 weeks changing out all kinds of parts... now I have a working electrical box/ECU and Coil Packs for sale! Electrical box fit's 03/04 FX140's and Coils fit 02-04 FX140's
    Last edited by SUV1200; 06-27-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: correction

Thread Information