Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSX 140 not idling not accelerating and running very rough

Hello everybody,

Ive been reading for sometimes on greenhulk and its amazing how much information can be found out there!

My name is Hendrik and im from Germany. Im owning a MSX 140 that ive bought last year. In the last season it was running fine except of acceleration stop at full throttle for sometimes, but after letting the gas go, it went back on full power. The red engine light was also alwaxs blinking.

Over the winter i had sent the EMM to Darren Weiss to let it be repaired and it seemed to be damaged. On his advice Ive also checked the fuel pump and found the fuel pressure regulator lying in the pump housing so i also fixed this.
    Now i put the jet back in to the water for the first time and it was running normally for maybe 5 min. Then it stopped while driving and was not restarting at all.
    Now i put it back on the trailer and brought it home. Its possible to get the engine started when holding the gas on half throttle but its running very very rough wont idle and also doesnt rev up.

Ive allready changed the spark plugs (the others were new) but to be safe i did an exchange. The fuel pressure is around 23PSI which should be fine. The tension on the red white line is 45V when running. Ive removed the TPS and tried to start- no difference.

Can you please help me what to do next- Im running crazy about this engine..

best regards

Hendrik

+1
    Hi Hendrik!

Stator testing is suggested: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post1532376

Also, measuring TPS voltage. Easier when powering the EMM with a service power jumper.

Also, check for spark on all three cylinders, as well as feel them with your hand after running a short time to see if all three are getting warm

Also, check engine compression.

+1
    Another member had an issue with his MSX140 with very similar symptoms. Ultimately, the issue was an aftermarket stator with an incorrect pin out of the connector plug.

Here is the thread discussing the mis-wired aftermarket stator.

4. +1 by:

Hey guys, thanks for your quick answers. I did the stator test yesterday and two coils are done. So I will have to exchange it..
    Whats the easiest way to get this job done?

best regards

Hendrik

+1
    Well, I purchased an MSX140, in pieces, where a shop had removed the stator while the engine was still in the hull. All I can say is the mechanic must have had contortion skills that rivaled Houdini. I'd pull the engine. In the long run, it'll probably take the same amount of time and you'll be far less likely to make a re-assembly error from lack of vision/access. It'll also give you the opportunity to easily address other issues such as: oil tank leakage, anti-seize to starter motor neck, through hull bearing replacement, fuel line replacement, and a thorough cleaning.

By the way, your English is very, very, good or you have the best translator software I've ever encountered.

+1
    The other likely bad news is that there's a good chance that your flywheel is damaged, since stator windings usually die from having debris impact them

thanks mate- never have been told that before, but i`ll send your compliments to my old english teacher...

I was afraid ill have to remove the whole engine. I guess the removal itself is not the big deal, but its hard to put it back in the correct position. In Germany you cant get any Polaris parts and tools because they are really rare on the european market.
    Any advices how to get it back inside to the correct position? I dont want to re assamble the next titanic...

Cheers!

Hendrik

+1
    For proper engine alignment, ideally you need THIS ROD and THIS BUSHING, plus a solid PTO coupler from early Polaris models (or the special PTO alignment tool). HOWEVER, if your rubber damper is still in good shape with little or no play, and you use the same number of shims on the engine mounts, then you may get away without alignment. I personally would prefer to align the engine AND the through hull bearing using the proper tools, since failure of the THB can lead quickly to a Titanic impersonation

+1
    I assume you're referring to pump to crankshaft alignment. In theory, if you maintain the shim count at each engine mount, you'll maintain the alignment. The factory marked the shim count, in permanent marker, adjacent to each mount. That being said, pretty much every Polaris I've been into, the alignment is off. I have rocked the engine, lifted it up and set it down, after making an alignment, and it has been maintained after doing so. So, I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

Ideally, you'd check and correct the alignment. There is an ebay seller who offers an aftermarket alignment tool and bushing (utilized to align carrier bearing). While it is affordable, in my opinion, the shipping would likely be the issue. It has become just plain crazy within the states---I can only imagine it would be insane to Europe. As far as the shims, I believe I've always ended up removing some to achieve alignment, and as Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, rides shotgun on my shoulder, you should be all right. Shims are small, so shipping wouldn't be too crazy.

Hey guys, ive now managed to remove the engine and put it back inside with new stator, but its not starting and also not sparking. Ive bought the stator on ebay.com- the cable colours are not matching to the old one. I can remember that there was a post somewhere with a problem that the pins on the new plug have been mixed up. Does anybody know where to find it?

Cheers!

Hendrik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information