Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by db2540 View Post
    I would get one of these if it bolted up to my SHO.
    If i decide to go with an SVHO wheel in the near future i would be willing to sell my RD watercooled housing for a SHO wheel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    With an aftermarket intercooler, I also wonder if the performance benefit of the watercooling feature on the housing would be negated.
    Good question ..the performance benefits of the water cooled housing would only be told and backed by data. Then I might spend that large amount of money. I think we would get more performance with a good turne, like to see this data show up here on the forum some time in the future.
    hope your family is safe xkon
    cj

Years ago I picked up one of those fancy ET 24psi wheel with a matching watercooled housing combos R&D use to sell.The front of the included wheel was huge atleast 1/4" bigger than stock but the backing plate was the same diameter as the ET 18, ET 19, and ET 21 wheels only 86mm so it made identical boost numbers to those wheels and the fancy R&D watercooled housings I tried with and without water and again cooling the charger does absolutely nothing for boost numbers.I have tried probably atleast a dozen ET wheels of all different sizes and in my experience unless the rear of the wheel physically grows in diameter and changes the pressure ratio inside of the charger enough its not going to pick up boost no matter what.The only measurable thing I could see one of these newer housings having up its sleeve besides looking pretty is a smaller internal path which could change the pressure ratio of the charger enough to see a gain.If thats the case a 1psi increase would be possible but also alot of coin for maybe 100rpms tops IMO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    Years ago I picked up one of those fancy ET 24psi wheel with a matching watercooled housing combos R&D use to sell.The front of the included wheel was huge atleast 1/4" bigger than stock but the backing plate was the same diameter as the ET 18, ET 19, and ET 21 wheels only 86mm so it made identical boost numbers to those wheels and the fancy R&D watercooled housings I tried with and without water and again cooling the charger does absolutely nothing for boost numbers.I have tried probably atleast a dozen ET wheels of all different sizes and in my experience unless the rear of the wheel physically grows in diameter and changes the pressure ratio inside of the charger enough its not going to pick up boost no matter what.The only measurable thing I could see one of these newer housings having up its sleeve besides looking pretty is a smaller internal path which could change the pressure ratio of the charger enough to see a gain.If thats the case a 1psi increase would be possible but also alot of coin for maybe 100rpms tops IMO
    I couldn’t agree more, that is a lot of money for only 100 more RPMs. My thinking is ordering a map tuner or a custom tune would be more in line for higher RPMs, and more performance then a water cooled supercharger housing would ever provide.
    cj
    Last edited by cjk6119; 06-28-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: sp

+1
    I'd like to see IAT's after several WOT passes with short cool down intervals between passes. I have no experience with water cooled housings in the past from other manufacturers, but I suspect that combining this housing with a good IC such as a Fizzle Y1000 would further reduce heat fade, especially for those of us running high boost wheels. With the maptuner and other data logging software out there these days I hope someone who purchases this is willing to share data with the rest of us. For the R&D housing not being very popular I have trouble finding them and they seem to disappear off eBay rather quickly...

Plenty of guys still run them because the bigger front cover allows you run a much bigger wheel they have them 36 to 38psi now.Some guys will say the water housings will keep rpms constant pass after pass while others that its mainly a longevity thing that will keep the charger bearings and front cylinder cooler.All I can tell you is I always spend my own hard earned cash to test things out and atleast for me the R&D one for sure made zero difference in terms of speed.That being said I would give one of these ET housings a shot but the price is bit of a stretch for the gains and to be honest I would be worried about trashing the fancy inside machining everytime a bearing or shaft decided to let go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (13).png 
Views:	14 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	463801  
    Last edited by FXSlowKroozer; 06-29-2020 at 02:31 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    Plenty of guys still run them because the bigger front cover allows you run a much bigger wheel they have them 36 to 38psi now.Some guys will say the water housings will keep rpms constant pass after pass while others that its mainly a longevity thing that will keep the charger bearings and front cylinder cooler.All I can tell you is I always spend my own hard earned cash to test things out and atleast the R&D one for sure made zero difference in terms of speed atleast for me.That being said I would like to test one of the new ET ones but the price is bit of a stretch and to be honest I would be worried about trashing the fancy inside machining everytime a bearing or shaft decided to let go
    there might be a benefit to using a water cooled supercharged housing when you have a compressor wheel at around 36 psi ...38 psi has a considerable amount of heat is being generated by the compressor wheel (heat of compression).In this case you might be avoiding some heat soak and heat fade.

cj
    Last edited by cjk6119; 06-29-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information