Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HRs to Miles

HRs to Miles

So I think we would all agree that a domestic vehicle below 30,000 miles is new and pretty safe, 60,000 miles and you can expect few issues, 100,000 and anything goes. A Honda or Toyota might be equivalent to the domestics 60,000 when it reaches 100,000 and a Diesel is getting old at 150,000 - 200,000. Let’s all agree on this for the moment, now to our GP1800s.

I see Skis for sale at 25 hours and I’m like damn that’s brand new, what is 100 hours, what is 150 hours, what is 200 hours ? When is a ski considered to be average and old or just a run down hooptie ?

What is average HRs per year ? I put 70 my first 6 months of ownership, 40 last year and am on par for about 40-50 this year.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Supercharged engine or non-supercharged?

General theme seems to be that hundreds of running hours, perhaps well over one thousand running hours, is not surprising for a non-supercharged current generation watercraft engine.

For supercharged Yamaha and SeaDoo engines, a several hundred hours seems within reason.

All this depends upon the actual maintenance and usage the machine receives.

This does not mean zero repairs along the way. Super chargers will need servicing.

I have two 2017 Yamaha GP1800 SVHO supercharged models. Both are well over 200 running hours. So far one has needed the original clutch replaced at 222 hours, the other continues to run well with the original clutch. This is within the range of ‘normal’.

Seadoo superchargers are configured differently, but replacement will be needed eventually as the hours accumulate.

In general wear and tear (and maintenance) on the rest of the machine is often more important than ‘low’ running hours.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboX View Post
    I see Skis for sale at 25 hours and I’m like damn that’s brand new, what is 100 hours, what is 150 hours, what is 200 hours ? When is a ski considered to be average and old or just a run down hooptie ? Thanks
    The common conversion in the boating world is 1 hour equals 20 miles because the engines are running at higher RPMs.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    The common conversion in the boating world is 1 hour equals 20 miles because the engines are running at higher RPMs.
    equivalent to driving at 20 miles per hour?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    equivalent to driving at 20 miles per hour?
    yes you must have seen how i drive before, I am the one cruising down the road at 20 mph with the left turn signal always blinking....lol lol

That equation was for large diesel yachts, is 17 knots or 20 mph at 3000 rpm

+1
    I’ve discussed this in another thread somewhere, but the easiest conversion formula to use, is the typical oil change intervals as the common denominator.
    For example, a gasoline car would be every 4,000 miles, while Yamaha 4-stroke skis are every 50 hrs.
    Consider a high mileage 100K car (divided by 4K) would have under-gone 25 total oil changes . . . so 25 x 50 hrs = 1,250 hrs would be considered an equally “high mileage” waverunner.
    Yet, you might split the difference here and just say 75 hrs as the de-facto-industry denominator as manufacturer oil spec blends might be in-play with the longer interval scheduled, like Sea Doo boosting twice the interval, at every 100 hrs.

Lastly, be aware there is still a lot of 2-stroke mentality in the community . . . so don’t be shocked if you meet folks that say 200 hrs is “high”. Sure, true for a 2, but not for a 4-stroke.

8. +1 by:

+1
    One guys opinion (tip 2)

https://www.steveninsales.com/5-fact...-used-jet-ski/

One of his points: "Someone with 300 hours has taken care of the Jet Ski to be able to achieve that many hours."

I was speaking to the service manager at a local dealer and he agreed it's not about the hours.

He's seen 20 hour skis that are junk and 300 hour skis that run perfect.

In fact, I just sold a 9 year old, 350 hour ski that ran like new.

Granted, if I were to buy a ski with over 300 hours, it would get a very thorough inspection and have to be priced accordingly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I’ve discussed this in another thread somewhere, but the easiest conversion formula to use, is the typical oil change intervals as the common denominator.
    For example, a gasoline car would be every 4,000 miles, while Yamaha 4-stroke skis are every 50 hrs.
    Consider a high mileage 100K car (divided by 4K) would have under-gone 25 total oil changes . . . so 25 x 50 hrs = 1,250 hrs would be considered an equally “high mileage” waverunner.
    Yet, you might split the difference here and just say 75 hrs as the de-facto-industry denominator as manufacturer oil spec blends might be in-play with the longer interval scheduled, like Sea Doo boosting twice the interval, at every 100 hrs.

Lastly, be aware there is still a lot of 2-stroke mentality in the community . . . so don’t be shocked if you meet folks that say 200 hrs is “high”. Sure, true for a 2, but not for a 4-stroke.
    So, if I understand this correctly one hour equals 80 miles. And 50 hours equals 4000 miles and 100 Hours equals 8000 miles and 200 hours equals 16000 miles?
    cj

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    So, if I understand this correctly one hour equals 80 miles. And 50 hours equals 4000 miles and 100 Hours equals 8000 miles and 200 hours equals 16000 miles?
    cj
    Basically yes - you got it.
    It's the way "I" do it ... and my rational is based on a "total "use" concept. AKA, if you use a car, you're putting miles on it. If you're using a watercraft, you're putting hours on it. So why not extrapolate the equivalent oil "use" intervals across each to get you a spit-ball guesstimate.
    Plus, this method works better than some one-size fits-all static marine-to-street constant, because like I said above ... depending on what brand, make, model ski you are talking about, you may need to adjust accordingly -- i.e. high on a yami might be 1,250, while high on a modern day doo looks like 2,500 hrs due to the longer intervals.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Basically yes - you got it.
    It's the way "I" do it ... and my rational is based on a "total "use" concept. AKA, if you use a car, you're putting miles on it. If you're using a watercraft, you're putting hours on it. So why not extrapolate the equivalent oil "use" intervals across each to get you a spit-ball guesstimate.
    Plus, this method works better than some one-size fits-all static marine-to-street constant, because like I said above ... depending on what brand, make, model ski you are talking about, you may need to adjust accordingly -- i.e. high on a yami might be 1,250, while high on a modern day doo looks like 2,500 hrs due to the longer intervals.
    Makes sense to me. A high HP machine on the water running a mile is probably close to the wear and tear of a car running 2 miles on the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information