2006 Challenger 180 fuel problem at 1/2 tank

If this issue or question has been discussed on here already forgive me for double posting. I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for. With this 2006 Challenger 180 or similar model in other years, what part or issue can cause the engine to run bad at higher RPM's when the boat gets to about half a tank?

I removed all fuel from the tank and made sure the tank was clean. I then replaced both filters on the fuel pump and replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the pump. Checked the fuel lines (filler line and vent line) After that I put about half a tank of fresh gasoline in the boat and put it on the water and almost immediately had issues running at higher RPM's but would run smooth at idle or lower RPM's. Took boat out of water and went to gas station and filled up tank then put it back in the water and it runs great till it gets down to half a tank of gas. I've run it several times with the tank full and each time it gets to about half of a tank it starts stalling and sputtering when you try to increase the throttle amount, if you bring it down to idle or just barley above that it keeps on running smooth, as soon as you try to throttle up it starts cutting out again.

I know the fuel check valve could be one possibility but don't know why it would affect it at half of a tank. I would think it would have run ok for awhile when I started at half of a tank if that check valve was the problem, unless I don't know some specifics about how the fuel pickup and air venting for this boat works. What else would be able to cause a problem when boat is at half of a tank? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by jodyww34; 06-22-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jodyww34 View Post
    If this issue or question has been discussed on here already forgive me for double posting. I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for. With this 2006 Challenger 180 or similar model in other years, what part or issue can cause the engine to run bad at higher RPM's when the boat gets to about half a tank?

I removed all fuel from the tank and made sure the tank was clean. I then replaced both filters on the fuel pump and replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the pump. Checked the fuel lines (filler line and vent line) After that I put about half a tank of fresh gasoline in the boat and put it on the water and almost immediately had issues running at higher RPM's but would run smooth at idle or lower RPM's. Took boat out of water and went to gas station and filled up tank then put it back in the water and it runs great till it gets down to half a tank of gas. I've run it several times with the tank full and each time it gets to about half of a tank it starts stalling and sputtering when you try to increase the throttle amount, if you bring it down to idle or just barley above that it keeps on running smooth, as soon as you try to throttle up it starts cutting out again.

I know the fuel check valve could be one possibility but don't know why it would affect it at half of a tank. I would think it would have run ok for awhile when I started at half of a tank if that check valve was the problem, unless I don't know some specifics about how the fuel pickup and air venting for this boat works. What else would be able to cause a problem when boat is at half of a tank? Thanks for any suggestions.
    I still have not got this issue fixed, I got the new fuel check valve in today and I'm going to change it and test it later today to see if that helps. If it doesn't then the only other part I know that I could try would be the fuel pump.

Replacing the fuel line check valve was the fix to my problem. I ordered the part "1675-6, 64371 Attwood Check Valve" from ebay for $19.99. After putting that on I have not had that problem again.

Thread Information