Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

STX 15f other gauge options for MFD

Have a 10' STX 15f with a bad gauge display. New ones are close to 1k and repairing the LCD costs $300 or so. Are any other gauges sets compatible even with modification? Thinking along the lines of the ultra LX gauges or even the newer stx 15f style. Aftermarket would be nice to since there are many universal type displays for powersports.

+1
    I didn't know anybody could repair the LCD. Tell us more! $300 sounds cheap.

The problem you run into is that there are so many versions of displays. The early ones had the orange key, the later ones had the Immobilizer key. Some had the SLO mode controlled by the display, some have it controlled by the Immobilizer. Plus you have different variations of ECMs that have different outputs to the display, etc.

I just swapped the early LX display in one of mine for a later display. It required installing a late model harness, which also required a late model ECM and a late model center cover (think glove box/console).

I tried to make a spreadsheet once for all the variations of displays, harnesses, ECMs, etc. for the STX-12F & -15F so I could get compatible parts for a 4-stroke conversion to an Ultra 150. It was a mess because the parts catalogs had superseded numbers, etc. I came to the conclusion that it's best to keep the display, harness, key, and ECM all from the same model.

What have you seen in the way of universal displays? I've done a little exploring, but everything I saw looked like it was for large custom orders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I didn't know anybody could repair the LCD. Tell us more! $300 sounds cheap.

The problem you run into is that there are so many versions of displays. The early ones had the orange key, the later ones had the Immobilizer key. Some had the SLO mode controlled by the display, some have it controlled by the Immobilizer. Plus you have different variations of ECMs that have different outputs to the display, etc.

I just swapped the early LX display in one of mine for a later display. It required installing a late model harness, which also required a late model ECM and a late model center cover (think glove box/console).

I tried to make a spreadsheet once for all the variations of displays, harnesses, ECMs, etc. for the STX-12F & -15F so I could get compatible parts for a 4-stroke conversion to an Ultra 150. It was a mess because the parts catalogs had superseded numbers, etc. I came to the conclusion that it's best to keep the display, harness, key, and ECM all from the same model.

What have you seen in the way of universal displays? I've done a little exploring, but everything I saw looked like it was for large custom orders.
    Here is the company that is repairing the lcd displays: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-St...wAAOSwJfVeVGq3

and here is a bezel overlay to freshen up the gauges: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ga...0264%7Ciid%3A1

+1
    Interesting! I've seen the overlays before, but not the replacement LCDs. I wonder how they open it, and how they seal it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Interesting! I've seen the overlays before, but not the replacement LCDs. I wonder how they open it, and how they seal it.

Planning to send tren my gauges next week. Will report back with my findings. Here is what it looks like now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2084DCE-AFEF-4CC2-AD93-64F1766805DF.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	463370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDC6A583-2B9F-47DB-81CE-B1FFFA502FA8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	463371  

+1
    At least it's not full of water.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STX-12F MFD.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	463372  

+1
    Yikes! The other ski I was parting out in my 15f build thread looked like that. This company said they can repair and rebuild the cluster as long as the red warning light flashes if you power up the display. I connected the appropriate terminals to a battery and after about 3=4 seconds the warning light started to flash.

+1
    Also, i found a replacement gauge bezel to freshen up the gauges: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ga...17dc%7Ciid%3A1

Interesting to see how it turns out. Mine got a drop of water in it that later ended up shattering the edge either from freeze or heat temps. Still works and visible but 1 good roll over and I bet it will be one filled with water. Do please let us know how it turns out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyshogan View Post
    Interesting to see how it turns out. Mine got a drop of water in it that later ended up shattering the edge either from freeze or heat temps. Still works and visible but 1 good roll over and I bet it will be one filled with water. Do please let us know how it turns out.

Check out my build thread. I have pictures posted of the repaired gauges there. They look brand new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information