Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do the idle mixture screw adjustment with the ski tied to the trailer or tied to something so it doesn't move when you adjust the screws. it will give you good accel and good idle with no plug fouling.

Plug chops aren't a PITA, but you have to bring a wrench and remove the plugs while you're out on the water and a lot of people will come by to see if you need help. Not knowing that they're going to swamp you with their wake. I don't trust plug reading as it's lied to me before. Wash doesn't lie.

It won't take long if you have carboned up pistons. It's new pistons that take a while for wash to develop. You're looking for finger nail sized clean spots near the intake ports of the cylinders. So in reality, you should have 4 small clean areas on the dome.

You may need to remove the FA base to access the adjustment screws, but the screwdriver still gets down there easier, and is easier to count amount of full or partial turns. At least it is for me.

Don't stress over it, more damage is done when trying to rush repairs with these things. The good news is, once you're dialed in, you're good to go.

Tonight's project. Some Oil-injection spacers to go with the SLX780 Vortex triple filters I have on the way.

Sacrificed my stock arrestor plate to the table saw gods. I'm not sure my carbide blade is too happy with me right now, but such is life.

If anyone is interested how I did it:
    First I cut about an inch and a half of the long side off, so that the blade would be able to cut the throats off in one slice. I screwed the arrestor plate face down to my table saw sled. (I removed the injector check valves first.)

Then I took some 2.5" screws and attached the carb side of the plate to a 4x4 that I squared up with the table saw. Used the bolt holes that mount it to the carbs. I filled 2 of the 3 holes on each.

[edited. apparently it didn't like my attempt at ascii art]

I wanted about an inch of spacer, so just set the fence for the width of the 4x4 + 1". Then I put on my safety glasses, face shield, and gloves and sent the whole thing through the saw.

If you do try this at home, be mindful of a couple things: Use a carbide tipped fine tooth blade. An el-cheapo wood blade is going to cause you to have a real bad day! Go slow. Use a dry lubricant on the blade. And wear your damn safety gear!

After I cut the throats off, I used emery cloth with a melamine board backer to clean up the cut. Then took a file to de-burr/break the outside edges. Cleaned it off with some carb cleaner, then applied some blue loc-tite to the oil check valves and knocked them back into place.

Not quite sure how I'm going to work out the studs/spacers/etc to get everything mounted, but that is (hopefully) the easy part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_202115.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	465131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-29_22-10-44.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	465132  

+1
    Good idea. Hopefully it works out for you.

Well, got arrestors stripped, painted, and installed. (Shoutout to Marto's Motorsports. I've purchased a few parts from them, super fast shipping, great customer service https://www.ebay.com/str/martosmotor...?_sop=10&rt=nc)

Just ended up using m6 x 100mm all-thread from Menards. Deformed the threads a little bit, then wound the "factory" acorn nuts on with some blue Locktite. (The intent being when I take them off in the future, the allthread unwinds from the carb, not the acorn not coming off the allthread. Essentially made myself some 95mm long bolts. I didn't put any spacers or anything inside, just a big adaptor/plate/filter/cap sandwich. Going to have to keep an eye on it, make sure they don't work themselves loose.

Definitely liking these though. WAY easier to get to the carb adjustments.

Not too sure about my fuel pump mount job. (Second pic, not a great one, sorry) Just mounted it to the rib right below where it was before, using the factory mounting plate. Drilled the rib and attached with a couple #12x1" stainless sheet metal screws.

Side note, I found someone suggesting that the Duplicolor Old Ford Blue paint was a good match... It was not. Way lighter. I did, however, have some leftover paint from when I did my boat. Rustoleum "top" boat paint. Royal Blue mixed with White (15 parts blue 1 part white) that was damn near a perfect match.

Name:	20200802_150208.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	465276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200802_150202.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	465277  

+1
    Why is your hose coming of the fuel selector bending to the rear of the ski?

Do you have the plastic cover between your battery and elec box? You'd better have one.

Yes, plastic battery cover is there. Don't want any crispy wires!

As for the fuel line, the water separator is behind the selector. (Autocock is not present. I assume it was deleted prior to me owning it.) So it's Selector->Separator->Fuel Pump->Carbs.

+1
    Nice adapters for the pod filters.
    Sorry if I missed it in a prior post... did you finalize your jetting and screw settings for your 750 running these pod filters?

Cheers!

I have not yet, waiting for some decent weather to get it back out. Starting at 3/4 out on the low speed, 1-3/4, 7/8, and 1-3/8 (extra 1/2 turn out) on the high speed. Hadn't planned on changing the jets, unless I can't get it dialed in.

+1
    That's good you got the cover.

Didn't see the water seperator. Is yours just the seperator, or do you have the filter/seperator?

Reason I ask is I'm not a fan of the in-line filters. Plus it's 2 more hose clamps that can fail.

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

This isn't mine, but this is what it looks like. I see what you're saying though, one less failure point is always good.

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	465336  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information